PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Security v10

Nopanic
09-11-2011, 15:17
Anyone tried it yet ?

Available to download in MYVM.

Have to say its a much nicer application than v9, with more options and the paid for side of it (in my opinion) is well worth it and I'm not just saying that because I work for VM, or have wasted the last few months of my life on this :D its good .. the Data patrol is excellent. (in + (paid for) version)

djfunkdup
09-11-2011, 15:21
I will go and have a look @ it...

if you are going to pay for security then there is only one way to go..

http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/smart-security/

that's what i use @ the min...so the VM software would need to outperform that before i would consider it...

edit: am i missing the point here :) just had a look Nopanic at the VM site and as far as i can see this software is free..??

Ignitionnet
09-11-2011, 15:22
Ewww ISP provided security suite *shudder* :p:

Nopanic
09-11-2011, 15:49
I will go and have a look @ it...

if you are going to pay for security then there is only one way to go..

http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/smart-security/

that's what i use @ the min...so the VM software would need to outperform that before i would consider it...

edit: am i missing the point here :) just had a look Nopanic at the VM site and as far as i can see this software is free..??

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/security/overview.html

djfunkdup
09-11-2011, 15:56
Thanks Nopanic got the information from your link

Nopanic
09-11-2011, 15:58
I'm not suggesting its the best out there, but its pretty good.

Worth a look anyway.

Milambar
09-11-2011, 16:10
I told my friends to remove VM's security suite. A lot of them were under the impression they HAD to use it in order to use VM.

Personally, I have found from bitter experience that it slows PC's down to the speed of a snail crawling through thick, almost frozen treacle.

Unless V10 is substantially different from previous incarnations, I'd advise people to steer clear.

BenMcr
09-11-2011, 16:16
Unless V10 is substantially different from previous incarnations, I'd advise people to steer clear.It's a fair bit different yes

Nopanic
09-11-2011, 16:19
I told my friends to remove VM's security suite. A lot of them were under the impression they HAD to use it in order to use VM.

Personally, I have found from bitter experience that it slows PC's down to the speed of a snail crawling through thick, almost frozen treacle.

Unless V10 is substantially different from previous incarnations, I'd advise people to steer clear.

It's a fair bit different yes

Very different.

Milambar
09-11-2011, 17:39
Hmmm, I will have to give it a test run on my laptop then.

AndyCalling
09-11-2011, 20:18
I use Windows 7 firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials as I have already paid for these when I bought Windows, going by the theory that if anyone knows how best to block the holes in Windows it will be the people that made it. Is there a good reason why I should pour that money down the drain and buy yet more software to do the same job?

I don't want to spend unnecessary extra cash to replace things I've already bought when they aren't broken. Can someone explain why what I've already bought from Microsoft is not as secure as they claim it to be? I might consider something else if that's really the case.

Sirius
09-11-2011, 20:20
I use Windows 7 firewall and Microsoft Security Essintials as I have already paid for these when I bought Windows. Is there a good reason why I should pour that money down the drain and buy yet more software to do the same job?

I don't want to spend unnecessary extra cash to replace things I've already bought when they aren't broken. Can someone explain why what I've already bought from Microsoft is not as secure as they claim it to be? I might consider something else if that's really the case.

I don't think anyone is asking you to buy this, I just downloaded the new version and i did not pay a penny to do it. The only bit of this you pay for is the OPTIONAL data patrol software

AndyCalling
09-11-2011, 20:37
Sorry, on reading this thread I got the idea that the paid for bit was the best bit.

Still, I remain keen to find out why the security that we all bought when we bought our copies of Windows is not safe and needs replacing. It is worrying with the demise of the Steam forums due to hacking and I want to make sure Microsoft isn't selling me a dud security package, happy in the knowledge they've left my digital front door wide open to any kid with an iphone.

Can anyone help me understand the problem?

BenMcr
09-11-2011, 21:22
Still, I remain keen to find out why the security that we all bought when we bought our copies of Windows is not safe and needs replacing.Who said it did?

Use of any security software is a personal choice and it up to you to decide what is the best option

Although I'm not sure that your argument: going by the theory that if anyone knows how best to block the holes in Windows it will be the people that made it is 100% sound. Playing Devils Advocate, surely if Microsoft know about the holes, shouldn't they fix them rather than create a seperate program to protect against the holes being exploited ;)

Additionally VM Security 10 includes Parental Controls which aren't included in Microsoft Security Essentials

Nopanic
09-11-2011, 22:44
I use Windows 7 firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials as I have already paid for these when I bought Windows, going by the theory that if anyone knows how best to block the holes in Windows it will be the people that made it. Is there a good reason why I should pour that money down the drain and buy yet more software to do the same job?

As Ben has said, they are holes because M$ has missed them..

KenK
09-11-2011, 22:55
Thanks Nopanic got the information from your linkHmm. The section from that link on the paid-for bit seems to me to contain only vague marketing-speak statements. For example, "Identity+ gives you more control over your sensitive files and when your personal data is transmitted." - it sounds good, but more control than what, and how does it work?

AndyCalling
09-11-2011, 23:36
As bugs are discovered, MS fix them with patches. Bugs are a different issue and not what these third party security systems are trying to fix. I don't think that VM or any third party would recommend that if I install their package I needn't install MS security patches through Windows Update as they are released.

The system has to have holes, ways in and out, ways to make things happen. It can be restricted as much as you like, but there is a trade off with usability. Sometimes it is best to keep the functionality and have a sentry watching the hole for illicit activity. After all, wouldn't your PC be even safer if you removed all the user logins? No pesky users increasing risk? Of course it would but, to maintain usefulness, using passwords to police entry is a better option.

I still see no reason why anyone would need to dump what comes with Windows and get in another option. Until I see a reason to shift from the default position I may as well not bother, if all these third party packages are trying to do is fix a problem that isn't there by replacing a wheel with a wheel then what's the point?

My only concern is that there is a reason that I'm missing, so I'm on the hunt for it.

Nopanic
10-11-2011, 04:12
As bugs are discovered, MS fix them with patches. Bugs are a different issue and not what these third party security systems are trying to fix. I don't think that VM or any third party would recommend that if I install their package I needn't install MS security patches through Windows Update as they are released.

The system has to have holes, ways in and out, ways to make things happen. It can be restricted as much as you like, but there is a trade off with usability. Sometimes it is best to keep the functionality and have a sentry watching the hole for illicit activity. After all, wouldn't your PC be even safer if you removed all the user logins? No pesky users increasing risk? Of course it would but, to maintain usefulness, using passwords to police entry is a better option.

I still see no reason why anyone would need to dump what comes with Windows and get in another option. Until I see a reason to shift from the default position I may as well not bother, if all these third party packages are trying to do is fix a problem that isn't there by replacing a wheel with a wheel then what's the point?

My only concern is that there is a reason that I'm missing, so I'm on the hunt for it.

No anti virus comes with windows ..

kwikbreaks
10-11-2011, 07:15
Ewww ISP provided security suite *shudder* :p:
Well you can get worse - Trusteer Rapport as peddled by several online banking services. Almost rammed down your throat on every login with no way to permanently bypass the nagging.

Milambar
10-11-2011, 07:15
Its true that none "come with" windows, but Microsoft does make a rather good one (suprisingly) which is a free download with free updates, to anyone with a valid registered copy of Windows. It's called Microsoft Security Essentials (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials).

To most people this is the one they mean when they say "comes with windows".

Peter_
10-11-2011, 08:29
Its true that none "come with" windows, but Microsoft does make a rather good one (suprisingly) which is a free download with free updates, to anyone with a valid registered copy of Windows. It's called Microsoft Security Essentials (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials).

To most people this is the one they mean when they say "comes with windows".
I use that on my own machine and my daughters, it does the job.

Milambar
10-11-2011, 12:48
I use it myself on my laptops. It does the job very well actually. Its one of the few Microsoft products I'm actually impressed with.

mark1234
10-11-2011, 12:49
Additionally VM Security 10 includes Parental Controls which aren't included in Microsoft Security Essentials

MS provide Windows Live Family Safety for free.

http://fss.live.com

BenMcr
10-11-2011, 12:56
MS provide Windows Live Family Safety for free.

http://fss.live.comYes I know, but that's a seperate download

As I said before, it's all about a choice

AndyCalling
10-11-2011, 15:08
It is not all about choice for me, since choice implies some kind of rational decision based on fact and I have precious little of that in this situation so I have found no reason as yet for alternatives to the standard Windows software to exist.

These MS utilities are all inclusive in the fee one pays for Windows. OK, so you have to download a file from MS to activate them (like you do with ie9 or with other MS patches and updates) but they are clearly a part of Windows. Who doesn't immediately go to MS after buying Windows to download the essential updates? To claim these are not part of Windows may be arguable but is kind of beside the point.

I still need to understand what MS Windows doesn't do that the third party utilities do do, so I can make a real choice.

BenMcr
10-11-2011, 15:19
I still need to understand what MS Windows doesn't do that the third party utilities do do, so I can make a real choice.The basic version of VMS doesn't do anything more than what you can piece together with Microsoft alternatives

That's not the point of it. There are plenty of people that don't do what you do and immediately download an AV program.

As suggesting VMS install is part of broadband activation, it's there to give those people that don't know or think about security an apportunity to be protected as soon as they go online

kwikbreaks
10-11-2011, 15:57
There are plenty of people that don't do what you do and immediately download an AV program.These days you get prompted and nagged continually by Windows to install an AV product of some sort or other if you don't have one and as you said the standard Windows install doesn't come with one. There are plenty of well respected free AV products around - Avast, Avira, and AVG (not so well regarded these days) to name a few as well as MSE which, as it happens, is what I use too having tried a lot of others at one time or another.

I don't know what the VM security suite does but I guess it's an alternative to stuff already out there and it's free. I doubt I'll try it though TBH.

Nopanic
10-11-2011, 16:24
It is not all about choice for me, since choice implies some kind of rational decision based on fact and I have precious little of that in this situation so I have found no reason as yet for alternatives to the standard Windows software to exist.

These MS utilities are all inclusive in the fee one pays for Windows. OK, so you have to download a file from MS to activate them (like you do with ie9 or with other MS patches and updates) but they are clearly a part of Windows. Who doesn't immediately go to MS after buying Windows to download the essential updates? To claim these are not part of Windows may be arguable but is kind of beside the point.

I still need to understand what MS Windows doesn't do that the third party utilities do do, so I can make a real choice.

I don't argue that m$ security is good, but it is certainly not classed as a part of windows. Else it would come with windows.

It is an add on the same as any other software. You decide to trust m$ which is your choice.

Different people have different needs and understandings and this gives them an extra option for security. Trend will pick up virus m$ doesn't and the other way around.. Pick your weapon ..

mark1234
10-11-2011, 16:55
Windows 8 will include MSE functionality as part of an improved Windows Defender.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/15/protecting-you-from-malware.aspx

Nopanic
10-11-2011, 18:26
Windows 8 will include MSE functionality as part of an improved Windows Defender.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/15/protecting-you-from-malware.aspx

Then it will be classed as unfair and a monopoly so they'll be forced like with IE to offer alternatives :D