PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Is it any good yet?

stereohaven
09-11-2011, 09:13
We are due to receive a Superhub when our 30MB service is installed in a couple of weeks and reading through the forum it appears buggy and not particularly great at Wi-Fi coverage.

Is this still the case or has the software/unit improved over time? Or is it more a case of it isn't great for say "power users" who know what they are doing but is fine for just basic internet access for the average user?

I use AppleTV so I will be pushing reasonably big files around my network (currently ADSL router -> HomePlugs) and my practically useless Sky router just about manages it.

Is the Superhub man enough to cope bearing in mind I intend to move to a NAS in the new year so all Music, Video and Photos will be streaming around the house, or should I get a better router?

Looking through the forum the best one from a price/performance point of view appears to be the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YETVTQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE), is this still the current favourite?

adzii_nufc
09-11-2011, 11:27
Mine works brilliantly wired and wireless.

100mb service

PC wired speed beside the superhub is average 99.61mbps

Laptop Wireless downstairs average is 82.21mbps

I did have problems with it when trying out the modem mode. I found that for some weird reason my browser's wouldn't load web pages yet I was connected to the internet fine, Switching back seemed to resolve this so it may not have just been a browser issue.

Also works great on smartphones in my experience.

Ignitionnet
09-11-2011, 12:23
I would run the thing in bridge mode to be honest, I am not a huge fan of its routing or wireless capabilities although your mileage may vary.

BTW Adzii Sepp Blatter is Swiss (OT but saw your signature).

Mick Fisher
09-11-2011, 12:29
Strangely it seems to work well for some people and for others is annoyingly buggy.

I'm not sure why, could be hardware/firmware, local conditions or just a combination of all three.

The best thing is to try it and if it don't do the business for you, go buy a decent router and then switch it to modem mode.

stereohaven
09-11-2011, 12:57
The best thing is to try it and if it don't do the business for you, go buy a decent router and then switch it to modem mode.

I'm lost without Broadband so I am trying to be pre-emptive I guess to make sure I have the right tools from day 1!

I might just buy the TP-Link and send it back if the Superhub works out OK. Does the line take a while to settle like with ADSL?

Stephen
09-11-2011, 13:24
No settling required. Once installed it will work right away.

I have been using a superhub for the last 12 months and it's been great.

GazCBG
09-11-2011, 17:57
I got my Superhub last week and it has been fine, Wired, Wireless (5Ghz) and it works ok, don't have any problem swith my Xbox 360 (wired) either.
On my Wireless (5Ghz) I am getting full speed 30Mb, but on 2.4Ghz I was only getting 3.4Mb. I am using the VM N USB adapter you get with the Superhub.

stereohaven
10-11-2011, 11:43
Thanks for the feedback, I think I will leave it for now and see how the Superhub performs.

Ideally I want to get an Apple Airport Extreme anyway so the TP-Link would have only been a stop gap. I'll save my pennies! :)

BenRichards
10-11-2011, 11:58
I have the wireless from the superhub turned off and conect to my airport extreme instead.
I stream wirelessly to my apple TV from my Imac with no problems

louisg
13-11-2011, 19:09
I have the wireless from the superhub turned off and conect to my airport extreme instead.
I stream wirelessly to my apple TV from my Imac with no problems

Does that iMac have to be left on all the time then, or do you have a seperate airport extreme as my iMac has one built in i belive but im reluctant to keep it switched on 24/7

Louis

BenJSmyth
13-11-2011, 19:18
We have had the Superhub installed for the last week but it has been rather flaky. After posting on the community forums it appears that this is down to a power supply issue. When we had the old modem replaced with the Superhub the engineer just reused the existing PSU. This doesn't have sufficient power to supply the Superhub correctly. If other people are having problems with drop outs and reboots perhaps this could be a problem?

louisg
13-11-2011, 21:13
How would I know if it's the right one? I haven't a clue if he used existing power supply or new one.

BenJSmyth
13-11-2011, 21:21
Check the PSU and see what the output in volts and amps is. It should say something like output - 12v, 1.5a. Let me know what yours says.

louisg
13-11-2011, 22:52
Mines 12v 1a

BenJSmyth
14-11-2011, 07:42
I think that is the correct rated PSU. According to someone on the community forum (a VM engineer IIRC) the Superhub runs from a 12v. The old modems ran off 10v PSUs which is what mine is running from cos the engineer just used the one that was there!

This perhaps points you to a different problem then.

BenRichards
15-11-2011, 11:10
Does that iMac have to be left on all the time then, or do you have a seperate airport extreme as my iMac has one built in i belive but im reluctant to keep it switched on 24/7

Louis

My imac is set to turn itself on and off during the day. So comes on at 3pm before i get home from work and does some backups and then turns itself off at 11pm as im usually in bed by then.

You dont have an airport extreme in your imac, you have an airport card.

An airport extreme is a wireless router
an airport card is a wireless card

I have my imac, an airport extreme and a superhub but the only reason I have the airport extreme is because the wireless is much stronger and I have a USB hard drive and USB printer attached to it so i can print wirelessly

louisg
15-11-2011, 11:30
My imac is set to turn itself on and off during the day. So comes on at 3pm before i get home from work and does some backups and then turns itself off at 11pm as im usually in bed by then.

I have my imac, an airport extreme and a superhub but the only reason I have the airport extreme is because the wireless is much stronger and I have a USB hard drive and USB printer attached to it so i can print wirelessly

Thanks for info Ben, much appreciated.

i like the idea of turn iMac on and off by itself, how do i do that? Are airport extremes expensive?

stereohaven
15-11-2011, 12:54
...Are airport extremes expensive?

A brand new one will set you back £139 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD031B/A/AirPort-Extreme?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg) which to me (based on what it can do and the quality I expect from Apple), seems good value.

Alternatively you could go for a refurbished one (again direct from Apple), where a 2009 model will cost £99 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC340B/A) or you can get a June 2011 model for £119 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD031B/A), although that is a bit too close to the new price for me, I would just pay the extra £20!

louisg
15-11-2011, 13:45
A brand new one will set you back £139 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD031B/A/AirPort-Extreme?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg) which to me (based on what it can do and the quality I expect from Apple), seems good value.

Alternatively you could go for a refurbished one (again direct from Apple), where a 2009 model will cost £99 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC340B/A) or you can get a June 2011 model for £119 (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD031B/A), although that is a bit too close to the new price for me, I would just pay the extra £20!

Thanks for info,

I currently have a dlink dir 615 and the range is awful, would the AE be much difference?

My router is upstairs in front bedroom and i would like to increase range to back garden if possible. Would i need to buy anouter router and place this is backroom/kitchen to increase back garden coverage?

stereohaven
15-11-2011, 15:51
I think the Airport Extreme is a really good unit and I would be surprised if it didn't improve your coverage, but there are so many variables no one can guarantee it.

In all of the reviews I have read people say it has improved their coverage dramatically. If you want to extend it even further, just buy an Airport Express (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB321B/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg).

louisg
16-11-2011, 15:48
I think the Airport Extreme is a really good unit and I would be surprised if it didn't improve your coverage, but there are so many variables no one can guarantee it.

In all of the reviews I have read people say it has improved their coverage dramatically. If you want to extend it even further, just buy an Airport Express (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB321B/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg).

Thanks, do you mean buy and extreme and a use a express downstairs to improve it further? or just use a extreme on its own?

Also do you know if this is easy to set up with virgin media superhub?

Chrysalis
17-11-2011, 20:41
you get what you pay for I expect.

That airport extreme I have only ever heard good things about it.

For my lan I use a billion 7402nx router (adsl) as a switch and wireless point, gigabit lan + N wireless which has 5 bars everywhere in my flat costs approx £150-170 or so new. The dir615 is also decent for wireless but not quite as good as my billion and only has 100mbit lan ports. Its router functions beat the billion tho (dd-wrt firmware).

horseman
18-11-2011, 19:14
….

…..
Ah unfortunately the "devil's-in-the-detail"! ;)
A very misleading,ambiguous and in some cases totally incorrect generalisation as Apple has been including Airport Extreme in (most) Core2Duo Intel models since 2006.

In context then it depends on the iMac hardware version: eg > AE models (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2256)
Rough "rule-of-thumb" iMac Intel 2006 onwards (generally) Airport Extreme compatable.
AirPort and AirPort Extreme cards are not physically compatible: AirPort Extreme cards cannot be installed in older Macs, and AirPort cards cannot be installed in newer Macs. The original AirPort card was discontinued in June 2004.

Perhaps someone just forgot to remind Apple not to include an Airport Express card in my original 2005 Macbook, as opposed to my USB printer attached to my Airport Express base station,bridged to my Airport Extreme Time Capsule serving both my MAcbook Pro via it's inbuilt Airport Extreme and wifes iMac with it's ….Airport Extreme card?