PDA

View Full Version : 30M Upload speed still not upgraded but paid for...

InfiDELL
08-11-2011, 21:18
Hi

I'm in Staverton area and VM sold me a product which didn't exist in my area.
I wanted to upgrade my connection just for the 3mbit upload speed offered by 30 mbit service. I had 20 before @1mbit upload.

First they said over the phone that I need to get the superhub if I want to upgrade the broadband from 20-30mbit which is a lie. And I payed 30 only for the superbuble modemhub.
This was in February 2010 since than I called them few times(tech and sales) to ask them why I have still 1 mbit instead of 3 upload speed. All sorts of lies and fake promises I was told but, never the truth to find out now that they'll do it in 12 apr2011?

So actually they sold me a product which didn't exist and payed for it severely months.

My question is can I claim half of the money I paid each month for the upgrade as they deliver just the half of the product and the part I don't need it the most? As they breach a contract by selling me a product which the deliver half. Not to say the bublegum series superhub

I need the upload speed so I can have some decent speed over the evening while use 2 computers cabled not wireless with this connection.
Just for decent connection need to pay lot of money and still not delivered by VM.:mad:

If they don't want to invest money in upgrading Staverton area they should have said, I wouldn't had done the upgrade but, hey nothing new to VM isn't it?

Thank you in advance for any help in this matter

Ignitionnet
08-11-2011, 21:40
http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/discover-broadband/broadband-speed/upload-speeds.html

http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/Schedule_13_09_11.pdf

Staverton stav Apr-12

30Mb requires and has always required the Superhub.

The contract says nothing about upload speeds, 30Mb was never sold as 30Mb/3Mb, it was sold as 30Mb/1Mb with 30Mb/3Mb in areas with upgraded uploads and upgrades to happen throughout late 2010, 2011 and 2012.

The upload speed upgrade is free, no-one has been charged for it. You paid the £30 for the Superhub, and had your monthly fee reduced it should be noted, for a move from 20Mb/768kb XL to a new DOCSIS 3 (hence requiring Superhub) 30Mb/1Mb tier.

Milambar
08-11-2011, 21:42
Hi

I'm in Staverton area and VM sold me a product which didn't exist in my area.
I wanted to upgrade my connection just for the 3mbit upload speed offered by 30 mbit service. I had 20 before @1mbit upload.

First they said over the phone that I need to get the superhub if I want to upgrade the broadband from 20-30mbit which is a lie. And I payed 30 only for the superbuble modemhub.

No, its not a lie. The Ambit 256 and below are not capable of DOCSIS3.0 which is required for the 30mbit product. The VMNG300 is, but I dont think that modem was issued for 20mbit, only the 256.

The Ambit 256 CAN do 30mbit, but only on DOCSIS1.1, which is not what virgin offer. They only offer 30mbit on DOCSIS3.0 which the ambits are not capable of.

This was in February 2010 since than I called them few times(tech and sales) to ask them why I have still 1 mbit instead of 3 upload speed. All sorts of lies and fake promises I was told but, never the truth to find out now that they'll do it in 12 apr2011?

This date is already in the past. However, the rollout of the 3mbit upload is a progressive thing, not all areas were done at once. There is a PDF file around these forums somewhere, indicating what areas will recieve 3mbit upload and when.

So actually they sold me a product which didn't exist and payed for it severely months.

Did they actually sell you 3mbit upload (doubtful because virgin dont sell uploads), or did they sell you a 30mbit package?

My question is can I claim half of the money I paid each month for the upgrade as they deliver just the half of the product and the part I don't need it the most? As they breach a contract by selling me a product which the deliver half. Not to say the bublegum series superhub

Actually with the r30 series firmware, the superhub actually seems to be reasonably functional. As for the refund, probably not would be my guess. One of the VM staff-posters here would be in a better position to advise on that.

I need the upload speed so I can have some decent speed over the evening while use 2 computers cabled not wireless with this connection.
Just for decent connection need to pay lot of money and still not delivered by VM.:mad:
The 30mbit package isn't a lot of money really.

If they don't want to invest money in upgrading Staverton area they should have said, I wouldn't had done the upgrade but, hey nothing new to VM isn't it?

Thank you in advance for any help in this matter

InfiDELL
09-11-2011, 13:15
http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/discover-broadband/broadband-speed/upload-speeds.html

http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/Schedule_13_09_11.pdf

Staverton stav Apr-12

30Mb requires and has always required the Superhub.

The contract says nothing about upload speeds, 30Mb was never sold as 30Mb/3Mb, it was sold as 30Mb/1Mb with 30Mb/3Mb in areas with upgraded uploads and upgrades to happen throughout late 2010, 2011 and 2012.

The upload speed upgrade is free, no-one has been charged for it. You paid the £30 for the Superhub, and had your monthly fee reduced it should be noted, for a move from 20Mb/768kb XL to a new DOCSIS 3 (hence requiring Superhub) 30Mb/1Mb tier.

In contract doesn't say anything but, over the phone( when upgrade my pakage) the seller from VM told me that I will have the 3mbit upload speed right away once I pay for the superhub and the upgrade monthly.
So it is a lie.
So the last one from tech which told me over the phone that will be upgraded late September this year or for sure in October u tell me pls what is that?:erm:
I upgraded the package JUST for the promised 3mbit upload free or not and I was told clearly over the phone that I will have it right away. Why she didn't say in your area I'm not sure when will be that available?That's more honest isn't it?

For sure they sold me a 30 mbit package with the 3mbit upload included , as I stated that I want the upload more than the download speed and she said yes it is possible "right away".

And its a lot of money for a connection which lags in a lot of MP games and can be damn slow in the evening with 2 PC navigate the internet only.

Before you say that might be my hardware lagging is not the case; the PC can handle those games, temps on my hardware are low VGA 275 GTX 51-52 C in load after 2-3 hr use , CPU 50-52 max in load/core, NB max 39 C, SB 32-35C. I took extra care in my hardware cooling and choosing it before buy it.
KIS 2011 security and malware scans - no infections- so my connection is not used by spyware, viruses and other malware

And I guess you can agree with me today for a decent internet connection you need over 1mbit upload isn't it?

Thank you

Ignitionnet
09-11-2011, 14:20
As I said you didn't pay for the upgrade your monthly fee would have gone down. In fact to be quite honest you've probably nearly made back the £30 you paid for the Superhub.

If it's a lot of money take your business elsewhere - 3Mb upload isn't going to fix the lag you see in games, if anything if there's already capacity problems it'll make it worse.

I can assure you that 1Mb is ample for gaming with 2 PCs browsing and you have other issues if you are lagging during the evenings.

I wouldn't say you need over 1Mb upload to have a decent connection it's all about what you do with the connection. In my case I prefer to have as much speed as possible as I'm impatient so I have 50Mb - which has a 1.75Mb upload as my area isn't upgraded either.

Given you didn't have the 2Mb upload that was the free upgrade for the 20Mb what made you think you'd have 3Mb on 30Mb?

I can't speak for what the sellers told you beyond that they were wrong. Why they were wrong, misinformation, stupidity or deceit, I don't know.

I do feel for you from that point of view but there is and always has been ample information online that would've confirmed your area wasn't upgraded.

Shame whomever you spoke to obviously hadn't read it.

InfiDELL
11-11-2011, 01:24
" if anything if there's already capacity problems it'll make it worse"
explain that please
I'm not caped for unfair usage is what know for sure.

And really no, 1mbit upload is not damn ample for 30 mbit connection.
Is really not enough. Not for multiplayer games. I had other connections before and I know.

Multiplayer games require some good upload speed (1 mbit is minimal) because as simple I can explain: as long as you can download the state of a player on the map same he(the other player- and can be 50 on the server or more) has to do in same time and in matter of a second or more depending on the pace of the game, but because you're upload can't face it (and has other tray programs and open ports in windows on his back without u using them and is some stupid unwanted traffic created also by windows services) will result in lagg.

Win 7 and Vista has much more traffic than XP and the future windowses will have even more. Traffic not controlled by user. I'm not talking about windows updates either.

But hey VM know most of the people run windows and is hungry itself in upload why so low the uploads than? A marketing tool to force people to buy bigger packages?

Whichever part you turn this problem on something is very clear any decent broadband should have 25% upload or more. That is a standard and should be followed.In my case that is at least 3.33 mbit

I used some 50mb /6-7 mb with peaks of 10 upload and I well know what is huge difference and not because of the damn download for sure.

50/1.75 is a joke hope u'll be upgraded soon well if u play MP games otherwise I guess you might not be bothered for waiting longer to upload a file.

:erm: ...on the other hand I don't want to take my "business" anywhere even if you say so and don't know why should I?
Yes is a lot of money for a crappy connection go check services like this in other countries and tell me the same thing "I shall endeavor to apprehend the matter"

Ignitionnet
11-11-2011, 08:53
No multiplayer games don't require heavy duty bandwidth - most run just fine on 256kbps unless you're hosting the game - that's the only time when you'll hit issues.

Windows services use relatively minimal upload traffic, they may hit the download hard very occasionally but if you're a ton of them soaking up bandwidth having more upload just means these services (backup services or something?) have more bandwidth to use.

When there are 50 people on the map and you need to download the, say if using 30 fps resolution, 1500 position updates per second from the server worst case, why would you be using upload?

Games apart from World of Warcraft that I'm aware of use a protocol called UDP - there is no need or desire to upload anything when you're downloading other people's movements, you only upload your own movements. That's really not a great deal of data per second.

I don't need to say how expensive or otherwise our broadband is, Ookla's stats put us 5th cheapest.

http://www.netindex.com/value/

If you saw huge differences on a 50Mb/10Mb line it's because as I said before your 30Mb isn't working properly. Pings shouldn't get shot at peak times, either you've some issues or someone else in the house is running something that's chewing the bandwidth - it won't be baseline Windows services their usage is extremely minimal.

Stuart
11-11-2011, 10:55
" if anything if there's already capacity problems it'll make it worse"
explain that please
I'm not caped for unfair usage is what know for sure.

What igni is referring to is the contention present in the service. Sorry if this is patronising, but I think I'd better explain what I mean by contention. Put simply, no consumer ISP installs enough bandwidth in an area for all of their users to max out their connection 24/7. They could not afford to for what the consumer is willing to pay. They work on the assumption that most people will use their connection relatively little. So, for each user's worth of bandwidth they buy, they will allow 20 or 30 users on the network.

If you want a 1:1 (or uncontended) connection, you need to look at paying a grand or two a month.

And really no, 1mbit upload is not damn ample for 30 mbit connection.
Is really not enough. Not for multiplayer games. I had other connections before and I know.

Multiplayer games require some good upload speed (1 mbit is minimal) because as simple I can explain: as long as you can download the state of a player on the map same he(the other player- and can be 50 on the server or more) has to do in same time and in matter of a second or more depending on the pace of the game, but because you're upload can't face it (and has other tray programs and open ports in windows on his back without u using them and is some stupid unwanted traffic created also by windows services) will result in lagg.

All the game needs to send is the position of each player, and possibly a few objects (such as bullets) and a little other infomation (the way the player is facing, whether they are crouching etc). This isn't a lot of information. It does need to arrive quickly though, which means that the number of hops between the server hosting the game and each client needs to be minimised, and where latency and lag come in. This is where the VM network often loses out, as the connection between a client and server frequently requires a lot of hops.

Win 7 and Vista has much more traffic than XP and the future windowses will have even more. Traffic not controlled by user. I'm not talking about windows updates either.

Actually, no, they don't. Unless you are hosting your own services (web, email etc).

But hey VM know most of the people run windows and is hungry itself in upload why so low the uploads than? A marketing tool to force people to buy bigger packages?

Clearly VM don't think upload is as much of a marketing tool as you think. If they did, they'd be plastering it all over their advertising..

Whichever part you turn this problem on something is very clear any decent broadband should have 25% upload or more. That is a standard and should be followed.In my case that is at least 3.33 mbit

Where is 25% upload a standard? Certainly not the UK ISP market, which is where VM are competing.

I used some 50mb /6-7 mb with peaks of 10 upload and I well know what is huge difference and not because of the damn download for sure.

50/1.75 is a joke hope u'll be upgraded soon well if u play MP games otherwise I guess you might not be bothered for waiting longer to upload a file.

:erm: ...on the other hand I don't want to take my "business" anywhere even if you say so and don't know why should I?

Why should you? Simple. You can SAY that you are unhappy with your service all you want, but as long as you are paying for it, VM aren't really worried what you say. They are getting your money, and that's all they want when it comes down to it.

Also, the beauty of a capitalist economy such as ours is that in most cases, if you are unhappy with a service or product, a competing service or product may provide what you want or need. You may find a competing ISP (such as Be) is better for you.

Yes is a lot of money for a crappy connection go check services like this in other countries and tell me the same thing "I shall endeavor to apprehend the matter"

You wouldn't believe it to look on here, but the UK actually has some of the cheapest fast broadband connections in the world..

Chrysalis
14-11-2011, 11:11
I will add a note if performance is key than KIS 2011 for security may not have been best choice ;)

BenJSmyth
14-11-2011, 14:43
ESET all the way my friend!

Milambar
14-11-2011, 15:00
I get KIS2011 free off Barclays bank for banking with them. Its never given me any performance issues, I just have to remember to "Pause Protection" when doing a speed test.

16-11-2011, 13:28
ESET all the way my friend!
Seconded. NOD32 is easily the best anti-virus software out there in my opinion. If you want something free though, Avast works well too.