PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Managed but not hit limit

Knightlore
07-11-2011, 21:17
Hi,

Any ideas why i would be traffic managed when I've hardly downloaded anything today??

thenry
07-11-2011, 21:56
are you sure you've been capped? how much do you mean by hardly downloaded anything?

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-faster-uploads.html

download 10AM - 3PM 1.5GB
download 4PM - 9PM 750MB

Knightlore
08-11-2011, 19:07
Modem been switched off all day and haven't downloaded anything just browsed the web and straight away was at 2.5meg from 10 Meg

Seems better today tho

thenry
08-11-2011, 19:17
consider upgrading to 30 mate. how much do you pay at the moment?

Mr K
08-11-2011, 19:32
Upgrade because he's not getting what he's paying for ? Doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. You could end up paying more and getting the same rubbish speed if there's a problem somewhere.

Report it as a fault and get what you're paying for. They should at least be able to at tell you if you are being traffic managed.

thenry
08-11-2011, 19:34
upgrade because hes on the old network

Mr K
08-11-2011, 19:36
what old network ?

thenry
08-11-2011, 19:40
the standard below docsis3 suck.

Mr K
08-11-2011, 19:46
I get a rock solid 10MB, always have done. It's people on 30MB + with the 'superdud' that seem to have most of the problems.

Ignitionnet
08-11-2011, 19:47
Non-DOCSIS 3 network is fine for 10Mb.

DOCSIS was about for quite some time, offering speeds as high as 30Mbit/s retail, before DOCSIS 3 was released.

thenry
08-11-2011, 19:48
can't win then

Ignitionnet
08-11-2011, 19:50
I get a rock solid 10MB, always have done. It's people on 30MB + with the 'superdud' that seem to have most of the problems.

It's their DOCSIS 2 upstreams that are the problem.

The standard that 'sucks', though it's fine as it's coupled to a DOCSIS 3 downstream.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

can't win then

Stopping talking unsubstantiated and ill informed nonsense about how anything bar DOCSIS 3 sucks, despite VM selling 20Mb on DOCSIS 1.1 and other operators on DOCSIS 2.0 going up to 30Mb down and 5Mb up, would be a good start towards winning.

It's more than adequate for 10Mb down and 1Mb up services so long as there aren't too many modems on each channel.

In fact as VM's network is built now 10Mb customers are far less problematic on the 'sucky' DOCSIS 1.1 network than 100Mb customers are on the presumably un-sucky DOCSIS 3 network.

thenry
08-11-2011, 20:06
i may of put 2&2 together and got 5. bad experiences have left me hating it. although hands up vm have stepped up their game

raging bull
08-11-2011, 20:56
Still on Ambit 256 on 10Mb, nothing to complain about here.
9.8 down and 1up just enough for me.

Ignitionnet
08-11-2011, 21:43
i may of put 2&2 together and got 5. bad experiences have left me hating it. although hands up vm have stepped up their game

It's fine to be honest, there are more issues on the DOCSIS 3 where a single 100Mb customer can nosh 60% of an entire upstream port and nearly single-handedly (10% more utilisation or 1.8Mb required) make everyone else on the port jitter just by letting the torrents go.

Chrysalis
09-11-2011, 03:39
I dont know what the docsis1 in my area is like now but when I was on it, the service was absolutely aweful and not fit for purpose.

The impression I get from experience is that under congestion conditions docsis3 behaves in a more rational manner.

To remind people again, when I was on the 20mbit service on docsis1 I had varying up speeds but the killer was my down speeds were completely stalling actually going down to 0kb/sec. This led to websites not loading, streaming stopping, downloads stalling amongst other problems. Even with this going on latency compared to docsis3 wasnt a lot different, which indicated similiar upstream load but the throughput performance was light years apart.

Whilst on docsis3 even with very extreme congestion filling my tbb graph with green and yellow the service remained just about useable.

Another note about docsis3 in my view downstream congestion is starting to become more common than it was say a year ago, it looks evident its happening on my port, I am every single night having congested down speeds whilst no or little (last 2 nights latency also gone up but not severe) affect on latency and upload speeds. Also had staff from the VM forums telling me my downstream is spiking high (but not high enough for relief).

Another comparison is a single 42mbit ??(may have got the capacity a bit off, as forgot) channel on docsis1, 2.1 20mbit users kill that and max it out, prior to 100mbit launch it needed 4 50mbit users to max out docsis3 capacity.

Knightlore
19-11-2011, 18:51
Right Virgin are taking the Mick now. Im being Traffic managed almost on a daily basis even when i had not been downloading or uploading.

Today I'm getting 2.2 Meg and all I've done is play a few games on BF3 and Facebook.

Certainly not happy about this clearly not getting the service i paid for.

Anyone know whats going on?

Milambar
19-11-2011, 19:11
Just because you haven't been downloading or uploading, does not mean that your computer hasn't.

A lot of programs such as STEAM and world of warcraft will hide a downloader in the background, downloading patches, updates etc, often without you being personally aware of it. Programs which use a torrent for downloading patches (world of warcraft), will very very quickly eat away the tiny amoint of upload that you are allowed on the 10M package. There are others, so don't get hung up on the two Ive named.

My suggestion would be:

Do a thorough antivirus scan with a freshly installed AV program or an online scanner.
Check that your wifi is secure, change the password on it just to be double secure.
Check for TSR's that might be downloading/uploading in the background.
Install a bandwidth usage meter of some form on every one of your attached devices. Sadly the hubs don't have the capability to accurately monitor your usage. My Shub has a "meter", but its never accurate.
Don't forget that it may not be you, or even your PC, but any device on your connection could be the culprit.

thenry
20-11-2011, 12:47
call VM and ask for a new modem. also unless your paying an extremely low price for your services considering upgrading to 30Mb.