PDA

View Full Version : diff prices quoted for upgrade to 30mb

rizzla
07-11-2011, 16:55
rang 150, was put through to indian call center, said i wanted to double check what the monthly increase would be to upgrade from 10mb to 30mb and if there were any known issues in my area that would impact on speed i would recieve.
i asked as previously when i upgraded from 10mb to 20mb i never got more than 12mb.
was put on hold for 2 mins and then informed it would be :

£30 activation fee,first 3 months an additional £2.56, after that £ 7.55, no mention of spotify.
virgin media site states first 3 months @ no extra charge .

so who is correct, virgin site or indian call center ?
and does anybody know if 30mb in nn4 northampton postcode(area ref 31) actually delivers 30mb ?

while i was waiting for feedback, i thought i would try the upgrade feature on website, but i cant do it as it asks for an alternative number in addition to my virgin landline ^^

HD Boy
07-11-2011, 17:14
rang 150, was put through to indian call center, said i wanted to double check what the monthly increase would be to upgrade from 10mb to 30mb and if there were any known issues in my area that would impact on speed i would recieve.
i asked as previously when i upgraded from 10mb to 20mb i never got more than 12mb.
was put on hold for 2 mins and then informed it would be :

£30 activation fee,first 3 months an additional £2.56, after that £ 7.55, no mention of spotify.
virgin media site states first 3 months @ no extra charge .

so who is correct, virgin site or indian call center ?
and does anybody know if 30mb in nn4 northampton postcode(area ref 31) actually delivers 30mb ?

while i was waiting for feedback, i thought i would try the upgrade feature on website, but i cant do it as it asks for an alternative number in addition to my virgin landline ^^If you’ve got our up to 10Mb or up to 20Mb broadband, turn things up a notch to up to 30Mb and pay no extra for three months.

Our up to 30Mb broadband is a star performer - it's four times faster than the UK average download speed, according to independent tests by Ofcom. On average over 24 hours, our up to 30Mb broadband reached speeds of just over 30Mb for a wired connection*. (As with all broadband, speeds you receive wirelessly are likely to be lower than this and depend on your home and your computer.)

Here’s all the detail:

Upgrade from up to 10Mb or up to 20Mb broadband to up to 30Mb
Pay no extra for three months
Unlimited downloads1
We’ll give you a Virgin Media Super Hub wireless modem/router
10GB online storage (plenty for 4000 photos, 2000 music tracks, 16 videos or 800 documents)
No installation needed
Spotify Premium free for 6 months

There’s a one-off activation fee of £30. The website is correct you would better to upgrade online
http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

while i was waiting for feedback, i thought i would try the upgrade feature on website, but i cant do it as it asks for an alternative number in addition to my virgin landline ^^ Yes you can just put in your virgin landline number twice i always do that.

The difference in price between 10mb and 30mb is £5. You would only a extra £5 a month after 3 months.

pgnl
08-11-2011, 11:46
The poster has a VM landline here but if you don't beware! As ALWAYS with VM their offer makes the assumption you have a VM phone line - in this case the small print states :

"Broadband offers: Existing Broadband XL and XXL customers who upgrade their broadband to the next tier will receive the difference between their old tier and new tier for the first three months. Non-broadband customers adding broadband L, XL or XXL will get Broadband L, XL or XXL free for the first three months and thereafter standard prices apply.
All customers must have, or add, a phone line. Customers on non-standard pricing (such as loyalty discounts) must move to standard pricing to be eligible for offer. Virgin Media reserves the right to withdraw or amend discount if you change any part of your offer package."

So if you don't have a VM phone line, I assume you can't have the offer....

I suppose the good news is at least they show the small print now, they have posted similar offers incorrectly in the past - not that that p***** me off or anything.. :-)

Patrick

drdaws
08-11-2011, 16:36
The difference in price between 10mb and 30mb is £5. You would only a extra £5 a month after 3 months.[/QUOTE]

You would also loose any loyalty discount that you have, making it rather expensive.

Milambar
08-11-2011, 17:08
You would also loose any loyalty discount that you have, making it rather expensive.

No, you'd lose any loyalty discounts, bringing it into line with what everyone else pays, which isn't that expensive, really. I personally find the 30mbit to be value for money, when it works (which it does 99% of the time).

drdaws
08-11-2011, 17:32
No, you'd lose any loyalty discounts, bringing it into line with what everyone else pays, which isn't that expensive, really. I personally find the 30mbit to be value for money, when it works (which it does 99% of the time).

I have an £18.50 discount, loosing this plus £5 means I pay £23.50 more which to me is quite a bit extra a month.

Milambar
08-11-2011, 17:57
Can I ask, how much you actually PAY for your services? I ask because that £18.50 discount sounds... strangely familiar. Are you sure thats not the bundle discount?

For comparison, my bill breaks down as:
TV Size M - Free
Broadband XL(30): 18.50
Phoneline Rental: £13.90
Total excluding call charges: £32.40

With call charges, I pay an average of £33.00 a month. So unless you currently pay £8.90 a month, something sounds very wrong with the information you're being given.

drdaws
08-11-2011, 18:16
Line rental £13.90
TV XL £26.00
Additional Box £15.00
Box discount £-8.50
BB size M £21.50
Loyalty disc £-18.50
Total £48.40 + calls.

Milambar
08-11-2011, 18:27
Strange then. I wouldn't have expected it to go up by such a huge amount.

Thank you.

drdaws
08-11-2011, 18:39
Strange then. I wouldn't have expected it to go up by such a huge amount.

Thank you.

Who understands the mysteries of Virgin pricing ? After my last encounter with CS I've given up trying !

Milambar
08-11-2011, 18:58
Agreed. Oxford Uni needs to offer degrees in VirginMedia Pricing Structures :P