PDA

View Full Version : Downgrade to 10Mbps?

kwikbreaks
05-11-2011, 13:10
My local DOCSIS3 is oversubscribed and the current target fix date is 20th Jan. Given the frequent slippage on these upgrades I decided there's little point paying for 50Mbps when a lot of the time I get less than 10Mbps so I called to downgrade.

One bit of info I found useful and was new to me is that there is no minimum term on upgrades/downgrades so no penalty for downgrading inside a minimum term (I upgraded to 50 from 20 last January). In the unlikely event of me going back to anything over 10Mbps I expect I'd still be stung for the magical £30 directors beer money but there's not much chance of that happening - having been stung once with failure to deliver I'll probably give Infinity a whirl when it comes.

Anyhow the only change was the config. Still bonding 4 downstream and the modem didn't even reboot. I manually rebooted to see if it would move off the currently overloaded DOCSIS3 channels - it didn't. That's disappointing - I was hoping to get away from the congestion :(

Ignitionnet
05-11-2011, 14:03
There is no facility for Superhubs or VMNG300s to go anywhere apart from the DOCSIS 3 network. Even if they lock to the DOCSIS 1.1 network they'll be sent a configuration file to push them to the DOCSIS 3 network.

kwikbreaks
05-11-2011, 14:25
Thanks for the info.

Chrysalis
05-11-2011, 18:53
The tide seems to be turning on upstream/downstream congestion, before it was not very common for slow down speeds with good up peformance, but with 100mbit launched it seems to be occuring now.

kwikbreaks
06-11-2011, 08:41
VM will up their game on shaping I suppose and if that doesn't work they'll need to reduce upstream limits for all tiers.

Meanwhile even though the pipe is congested my 10Mbps seems to be holding up reasonably well. I'm guessing that if I see sub 10Mbps then all packages will too and that the lower levels just have an overall speed cap rather than anything sophisticated like prioritisation by tier.

Of course I'm now getting less than ADSL could deliver on my line and a lot less if that line wasn't faulty.

Ignitionnet
06-11-2011, 09:07
I'm guessing that if I see sub 10Mbps then all packages will too and that the lower levels just have an overall speed cap rather than anything sophisticated like prioritisation by tier.

Kinda. No prioritisation but you can't burst over 10Mb, higher tiers can so will, intermittently, see higher throughput before the issues in the area crush it back down to the congested state.

Throughput overall on the higher tiers will spike to their own rate cap and trough to the same level as you if below 10Mb, your spikes are lower is all.

So, ya, anyone who thought 100Mb gets any priority on the capacity is quite mistaken.