PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Distribution Advice

slobster
04-11-2011, 19:52
Forum addicts

I am in dire need of some advice in regards to a domestic distribution system.
We live in a normal 3 bed semi,Lounge Diner (where main TV is), Kitchen and conservatory. (6 points)
Would like to distribute DAB/FM/SAT/Digital Freeview/Network into each room.

I was looking at loft boxes/DDU, they do seem to be more aimed at satellite installations, or does a better solution exist?

TV Areas

Lounge
TV - Terrestrial Freeview
HDD PVR - Terrestrial Freeview
CABLE (Virgin) - Only want this in the Main Room, plus I don't believe you can distribute like SKY
SKY HD BOX

Bedrooms

All Terrestrial Freeview with decoders

Conservatory

TV with Terrestrial Freeview

Kitchen

TV with Terrestrial Freeview

I'm a bit of a novice, but understand the basics of what to do. I had some quotes but they all offered different solutions or didn't fully understand what I wanted, one even wanted to install a seperate aerial for each room! These were all approved installers on the CAI website. SO have little faith.

Based on this experience, I want to install all the cabling and then get someone to put the aerials up as I don't do heights very well.

So my question is where do I go, DDU? Most I have looked don't really seem to do what i want, so any advice greatly sought. Triax or similair DDU with outlet plates in each location, seems logical or is this overkill.

http://www.triax.co.uk/upload/dduwebpage.pdf

I'm sure my wants are not unusual.

Kind Regards

Chris
04-11-2011, 20:08
Lots of cables involved, whichever way you do it. Why do you want Freeview, Sky and Virgin in the lounge?

slobster
04-11-2011, 20:19
Just to be future proof, if I'm going to wire up, to have a few options is good isn't it, We only pay for extended services with Virgin at present, but things can change. Bedrooms on Terrestrial Freeview or FreeSAT, so no monthly subs. WOuld be good to Cat6 the house up at the same time.

Chris
04-11-2011, 20:27
I think you need to settle on either freeview or freesat for the bedrooms ahead of time as the cabling is different for each - unless you really do have unlimited time, space and cash to do both.

Satellite needs one cable per set top box, all the way back to the LNB on the dish (or two cables for any box that's a PVR). Terrestrial TV only needs one cable from the roof aerial, into a powered distribution amp in the loft, then multiple cables to all rooms from there.

If you get a multi-input amp, then you should be able to feed the RF-out of a Sky box into it as well, and feed whatever channel the Sky box is tuned to into all the rooms also.