PDA

View Full Version : 30M Keywords for virgin technical support! Please help

pillz
01-11-2011, 12:58
Hey guys ,

First of all lemme say its great to be here , i love a good moan >.< I recently switched to virgin media cable 100meg , but once it was installed they told me i could only receive 50meg -.- I was fairly annoyed about that but this issue will come to later on.

Current issue , Im a online pc gamer , call of duty 4 mainly and wow. Wow plays fine but call of duty 4 is constantly spiking , i dont see any indications of packetloss in game , its just very gittery having a half decent computer ive noticed since the switch my fps is more unstable and my ping tends to be all over the place most of the time.

Now im gunna deal with this myself but as a cable noob i don't know what keywords to state over the phone to get some tweaking done to my connection. When i was with DSL i just had them remove interleaving and my connection worked like a dream , yes i had the few drop outs but it was worth it for the performance i was getting in game.

What exactly can a virgin media technician do to improve my connection over the phone? What tests can they run to make sure everything is running ok?

Thanks guys!

djfunkdup
01-11-2011, 14:26
unlike DSL cable is not really tweakable..

jitter is something that is common on a cable connection..downstream/upstream power levels can be adjusted if they are out of sync from the normal parameters but tbh they can cause drop outs rather than jitter if they are too high or too low.

high utilization on your local UBR can sometimes be the cause of high and variable jitter.

edit: jitter is something that CAN be common on cable..but not always..sorry i was distracted doing something there//

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

now something else i should have said.:

i take it you are using the superhub that VM supplied..

if you access the hub: go to services and disable

Firewall Features
Port Scan Detection
IP Flood Detection

having IP Flood detection enabled can cause high latency and problems with jitter

hope this helps.i am sure others will be along to give you more information and to correct anything that i have got wrong

Nopanic
01-11-2011, 21:16
Most basic starter would be to post your power levels and such from the modem config pages .. plenty of network guys on here to offer support too ..

Welcome.