PDA

View Full Version : 30M Speed dropping fast. Bottlenecking?

djstevie
31-10-2011, 15:44
Currently on Virgin 30mb service and have noticed that recently im having issues when downloading.

When using newsgroups or torrents my speed will start of really quick and then after about 30 mins it appears to either be throttled or bottlenecked.

I know that traffic shaping is in place but i seem to be getting dial up speeds after downloading a few gig. Im not a heavy downloader but when i do download i can do about 15gig in a day (once or twice a month at most).

When i went to the 30mb service in about March i refused the Superhub and kept my VMNG3000 (sp?) modem and Linksys DIR-615 router that i had from the 50mb install at my old property.

Is it possible that the router is on its way out and is somehow bottlenecking when downloading or is it possible its my connection. I REALLY dont want to call through to the offshore centre as its like pulling teeth. Anyone any ideas?:)

My router has been updated with DDWRT firmware but has been like this for a while and i have only recently started to notice this issue.

Taf
31-10-2011, 16:00
Newsgroups drop to a crawl, and even stop-start for me too, but that's what happens when they apply their "rules" I'm afraid. :(

djstevie
31-10-2011, 16:14
Newsgroups drop to a crawl, and even stop-start for me too, but that's what happens when they apply their "rules" I'm afraid. :(

Yeah its stop starting for me too. Surely this cant be Virgin Medias rules?. As i said i know we get traffic managed which is fine but from 30MB to less than a third of a MB?