PDA

View Full Version : What happens to old IP address?

chambohambo
29-10-2011, 20:21
What happens when you get a new ip address? where does the old one go? does it go to another customer?

Neo-Tech
29-10-2011, 20:23
They get assigned to a new customer, or if an existing lease expires of another customer, then that customer may get the IP address.

pabscars
29-10-2011, 20:24
What happens when you get a new ip address? were does the old one go? does it go to another customer?

yes as far as I know it get's allocated to another user, or should I say it does with Sky LLU, my TBB monitor is testament to that.

You can clearly see when my IP changes, it get's given to another user within a hour or so.

A classic example below

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-thumb/38a498117ce48944d23ff3798e3ec921-29-10-2011.png (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/38a498117ce48944d23ff3798e3ec921-29-10-2011.html)

And another,

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-thumb/0d6cdef9a9cd436999844db0094d6c33-23-10-2011.png (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/0d6cdef9a9cd436999844db0094d6c33-23-10-2011.html)

chambohambo
29-10-2011, 20:28
Thanks for the quick responses. The reason I asked is because the other day my IP address changed whiles I was using the internet so did many others in my area I think there was an outage. How does it work with Virgin does each UBR get allocated so many IP addresses? or are the IP addresses national?

Neo-Tech
29-10-2011, 20:39
You were probably moved to a different CMTS or UBR which had a different set of IP addresses allocated to it.

That's what happened to me when they did relief work in my area. :)

chambohambo
29-10-2011, 20:46
I have not moved UBR but I have noticed on the UBR I was on CPC1 but now on CPC5 with the new IP what is a CPC? and why would I get moved?

Ignitionnet
29-10-2011, 23:58
Each CMTS has a number of IP address ranges allocated to it - the CPCs are individual blocks of IP addresses.

There may have been an outage or you may have been moved to a new line card, going to a new line card will change your IP address.

chambohambo
30-10-2011, 00:07
Each CMTS has a number of IP address ranges allocated to it - the CPCs are individual blocks of IP addresses.

There may have been an outage or you may have been moved to a new line card, going to a new line card will change your IP address.

Thanks for replying to my post "Ignitionnet" so when ever a customer gets a new IP what happens to the old one? does it automatically go back into the IP pool for another customer to get?

Nopanic
30-10-2011, 00:55
Thanks for replying to my post "Ignitionnet" so when ever a customer gets a new IP what happens to the old one? does it automatically go back into the IP pool for another customer to get?

In theory yes, but the time frame depends on the reason for the release.

The addresses are owned and paid for by VM so they are recycled as soon as possible.

Ignitionnet
30-10-2011, 08:46

No, it goes back into the pool once the current lease has ended. You may lose your IP address due to moving line cards - you'll be forwarded to the server you request the IP from via a slightly different route so the IP request isn't the same - the server will remember which MAC address had that IP until the week long lease is done then it'll be released back to the available pool.

The DHCP server has no way of knowing that you won't be asking for the same IP address back and allocates them for fixed periods.

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

The addresses are owned and paid for by VM so they are recycled as soon as possible.

IP addresses are neither paid for nor owned. VM are allocated use of some of them but they are considered a public resource.

VM are required to make as efficient use as possible of their available allocation, whether they do or not is, in common with most operators, extremely debatable ;)

chambohambo
30-10-2011, 08:59
No, it goes back into the pool once the current lease has ended. You may lose your IP address due to moving line cards - you'll be forwarded to the server you request the IP from via a slightly different route so the IP request isn't the same - the server will remember which MAC address had that IP until the week long lease is done then it'll be released back to the available pool.

The DHCP server has no way of knowing that you won't be asking for the same IP address back and allocates them for fixed periods.

IP addresses are neither paid for nor owned. VM are allocated use of some of them but they are considered a public resource.

VM are required to make as efficient use as possible of their available allocation, whether they do or not is, in common with most operators, extremely debatable ;)

Thanks again "Ignitionnet" what is the lease period on Virgin? because I did have the same IP for like over a year.

Nopanic
30-10-2011, 09:07

:notme:

That pretty much caps off my knowledge of networks then .. but in my defence, I was told this by someone in the networks team (also no longer with VM) .. I didn't just make it up (like I normally do)

The Installer
30-10-2011, 10:00
Thanks again "Ignitionnet" what is the lease period on Virgin? because I did have the same IP for like over a year.

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
the server will remember which MAC address had that IP until the week long lease is done

;)

AndyCalling
30-10-2011, 23:29
Where do old IP addresses go when they die? Why, silicon heaven of course, where else? If not, where would all the calculators go?

Chrysalis
31-10-2011, 07:28
if you do something like clone a mac to get a new IP, then the old ip could remain dormant for up to a week as it waits for the dhcp to expire. At that point it will be allocated to a new customer, although not necessarily immediatly as VM will have spare unused ips.