PDA

View Full Version : 30M Do VM still send out routers?

GazCBG
29-10-2011, 14:08
Hi,

When I was on 50MB I was given a Netgear WNR2000 router.
It is now playing up and I am now on 30MB with the modem.

Will VM send me out a new routers, or will they send me a Superhub, or will I need to buy my own?

Ignitionnet
29-10-2011, 14:12
Superhub.

GazCBG
29-10-2011, 14:20
What are they like now, for gaming and does it have modem only mode available if I want to do a direct connection?

Will they just send it through the post?

Tim Deegan
29-10-2011, 14:35
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Superhub also a router??

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

What are they like now, for gaming and does it have modem only mode available if I want to do a direct connection?

Will they just send it through the post?

When you say modem only mode, I presume you mean wired rather than wifi?

Well I have a superhub with my PC and one printer connected by wire to it. And the other printer, laptops, and iphones all use the wifi

GazCBG
29-10-2011, 14:55
When I said modem only mode, I read the superhub could be turn just into a modem and turn the router bit off, so you can use your own router.

Yes the superhub is a router and modem, in one.

Helix
29-10-2011, 14:58
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Superhub also a router??

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

When you say modem only mode, I presume you mean wired rather than wifi?

Well I have a superhub with my PC and one printer connected by wire to it. And the other printer, laptops, and iphones all use the wifi

No modem only mode is different. It turns off all the routing functions of the Superhub and lets you use it as a basic modem. You plug the ethernet cable into the port nearest the coax cable and then either connect it directly to a PC or another router.

Superhub does now have this feature and it works very well.

With modem mode off you can still have mutiple wired and wireless connections to the superhub.

Tim Deegan
29-10-2011, 15:02
No modem only mode is different. It turns off all the routing functions of the Superhub and lets you use it as a basic modem. You plug the ethernet cable into the port nearest the coax cable and then either connect it directly to a PC or another router.

Superhub does now have this feature and it works very well.

With modem mode off you can still have mutiple wired and wireless connections to the superhub.

I can't see why anyone would want to??

Helix
29-10-2011, 15:12
I can't see why anyone would want to??

Well personally I found the Superhubs wireless range very poor compared to my existing router. Plus the Superhub lacks many advanced features like being able to set the DNS servers, and quality of service settings it has also had some stability issues but these may have been fixed in the most recent update. Many users won't care about these, but some like myself do. So I have my Superhub in Modem Mode connected to my Linksys router.

Tim Deegan
29-10-2011, 15:43
Well personally I found the Superhubs wireless range very poor compared to my existing router. Plus the Superhub lacks many advanced features like being able to set the DNS servers, and quality of service settings it has also had some stability issues but these may have been fixed in the most recent update. Many users won't care about these, but some like myself do. So I have my Superhub in Modem Mode connected to my Linksys router.

My old Linksys router was useless, but then it was a cheap one.

VM recently changed my superhub when I upgraded from 50mb to 100mb. I thought it was strange at the time, because I was told when I changed to 50mb that the superhub would handle 100mb. So it looks like they were just changing it for the updated one on the quiet. The new one does have a better range, and is more stable than the old one.

GazCBG
29-10-2011, 15:47
Does anyone know if I get it via the VM forum or I phone them, will it come by post?

GazCBG
31-10-2011, 11:03
I phone tech support 151 first, got through and they said they could change the router for another router, but not a Superhub, so they put me throught to customer service and it will be 3-5 days.
Also got through to UK Tech and customer service :)

My router is on the last legs, it wouldn't let me connect to xbox party and game last night, even thought the xbox 360 was in DMZ mode, so just did a direct connection.

djstevie
04-11-2011, 15:34
I phone tech support 151 first, got through and they said they could change the router for another router, but not a Superhub, so they put me throught to customer service and it will be 3-5 days.
Also got through to UK Tech and customer service :)

My router is on the last legs, it wouldn't let me connect to xbox party and game last night, even thought the xbox 360 was in DMZ mode, so just did a direct connection.

Gaz am i reading that correct in that they are going to send you out a router only and NOT the superhub? Reason i ask is that i think my DIR-615 which was supplied by Virgin is dying on me and i spoke to their Twitter team who told me that they cannot send out a router as they dont supply them anymore.
I really dont want to give up my VMNG300 so im in limbo at the moment as what to do. £50 for a decent router at this time of year is beyond me.

GazCBG
04-11-2011, 15:51
When I phone tech support 151 (on vm phone), they said they could only send me a router as that what the system said I had. But if I wanted a Superhub I would have to contact customer service, which I did and they sent me a Superhub and it is now setup and working.

djstevie
04-11-2011, 17:51
Strange. The guys have basically told me that i either get a superhub or nothing. Dont want a superhub so now need to look for a decent router that i can find on the cheap.

Peter_
04-11-2011, 19:27
Reason i ask is that i think my DIR-615 which was supplied by Virgin is dying on me and i spoke to their Twitter team who told me that they cannot send out a router as they dont supply them anymore.

We do still stock and send out D Link DIR615 routers so try talking to technical support by phone and explain that yours is on its last legs.

I sent one out last week and rang the customer back on Wednesday to help set it up for them so I somehow think the Twitter team are a bunch of useless twits.

djstevie
06-11-2011, 11:00
We do still stock and send out D Link DIR615 routers so try talking to technical support by phone and explain that yours is on its last legs.

I sent one out last week and rang the customer back on Wednesday to help set it up for them so I somehow think the Twitter team are a bunch of useless twits.

I asked the guy if he was sure that he definately couldnt get one and he told me no. I asked if the superhub made things worse then could i go back to use my VMNG300 and buy my own router, he said no.

Got another email through later that day offering to apply a credit for half of a new router value which i think i'll go for cause then i can buy a decent router to replace my dodgy one.

Peter_
06-11-2011, 14:02
I asked the guy if he was sure that he definately couldnt get one and he told me no. I asked if the superhub made things worse then could i go back to use my VMNG300 and buy my own router, he said no.

Got another email through later that day offering to apply a credit for half of a new router value which i think i'll go for cause then i can buy a decent router to replace my dodgy one.
It is dependent on who you speak to being honest and we can sort out many issues quite easily but some agents will not even try.