PDA

View Full Version : Superhub modem mode

baz007
24-10-2011, 18:17
hello everyone,

can someone help me set up my superhub as a modem only. I know how to get it into modem mode but when i connect my netgear wireless router into the router my laptop finds it but says 'Limited or no connectivity'. Do i have to make some changes somewhere or is it meant to work straight away?

p.s the R30 firmware is still poo! My suberhub resets atleast once a day still so wanting to turn it into a modem only and see how things go.

cheers

Peter_
24-10-2011, 18:59
You need to use the correct port otherwise your router will not work so make sure it looks like the picture below as the only port now live is the one next to the power lead and the other 3 are disabled.

Modem Mode Help

Modem Mode
When active, Modem Mode disables the wireless and routing functions of your Super Hub so you can use your own wireless router.
For more information please visit <http://www.virginmedia.com/help/>
Active Ports & Connections
When in Modem Mode, only one Ethernet port will be active on your Super Hub. You can connect a PC/laptop/console etc directly to your Super Hub via this active port. The image below highlights the port that should be used to connect your external equipment.
http://192.168.100.1/ethernet.gif Disable Modem Mode
You can disable Modem Mode from the Main Menu which is accessed by typing 192.168.100.1 in your internet browser.
Alternatively you can restore your Super Hub back to its original settings by using the reset button on the side of your Super Hub.

Skie
24-10-2011, 22:21
And once in modem mode reboot the superhub after the router is connected. There is every chance it will take umbridge at seeing a new MAC connected and need a reboot.

Peter_
24-10-2011, 22:31
And once in modem mode reboot the superhub after the router is connected. There is every chance it will take umbridge at seeing a new MAC connected and need a reboot.
It reboots by default once you activate Modem Mode otherwise it would just stay as a hub.

It should just work mine did as long as you follow the instructions above and plug the router into the correct port next to the power lead.

baz007
24-10-2011, 23:52
Cheers everyone for the help. I just left it off for a while turned it on and it still said limited or no connectivity and after a while i could connect to the internet again. I have a old netgear wgr614.
Don't know if i can ask this here but can anyone advice on where to get a reasonable fast wireless router that will support my 30mb internet? cheap as possible lol

BenJSmyth
25-10-2011, 11:53
I have found this is an excellent router for the money. The only downside to it is that it doesn't have the 5ghz spectrum. It does have 4 gigabit ports and performs very well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-Ultimate-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B002YETVTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319539992&sr=8-1

baz007
25-10-2011, 17:41
cheers for that BenJSmyth.
Will this one be ideal to work with the superhub? Will i be able to get my 30mb speed?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200666396352&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
Sorry if i am not meant to put a link on here :)

BenJSmyth
25-10-2011, 18:58
That should work fine with it. Any wireless router you choose should be ok.

It depends what you want it for really. It's a shame the Superhub has problems (for some people) as it seems to have pretty good specs.

baz007
25-10-2011, 19:05
I know, the superhub is great when it works fine but a pain when it keeps rebooting. So will the above give me the full 30mb speeds i am meant to be getting from virgin as my other wireless router (netgear wgt624) only hit about 15mb when i tested the speed on speedtest.com

BenJSmyth
25-10-2011, 19:21
Yes you will get 30mb speeds using that. The actual internet will still be provided by the Superhub and as that router you linked to is wireless N you should be fine.

Skie
25-10-2011, 22:39
It reboots by default once you activate Modem Mode otherwise it would just stay as a hub.

But if it reboots and then you connect the router afterwards it can do the typical new MAC address freeze or no access and require another reboot. If you already have the router connected to the correct port when you enable modem mode then yeah, it should work first time.

007stuart
25-10-2011, 22:52
I have the TP LINK router and it is excellent. I get full 30/3 meg and excellent coverage throughout the house.

BenJSmyth
26-10-2011, 07:49
I'm don't think Baz wants to spend that much on a router.

Stuart, are you running the TP Link of it's own firmware or have you put on the DD-WRT firmware?

007stuart
26-10-2011, 10:18
Ben,

I use the the TP Link supplied firmware however I did update to the most recent version before setting up.

BenJSmyth
26-10-2011, 17:48
I was considering going back to the stock firmware as I don't seem to be getting as good a speed as when I first got the router. I know there has been a TP Link update since I flashed mine with DD-WRT so I might revert.

shenfrey
06-01-2013, 17:18
I had to reboot both my superhub and my time capsule for modem mode to take affect, I was getting the exact same problem as you and didn't think to try and reset my TC, but presto it worked : )

ferretuk
06-01-2013, 18:31
I suspect the OP is sorted now as the thread was last active 14 months ago,! :)