PDA

View Full Version : Why am i still capped?

iFrankie
24-10-2011, 00:35
I used over 3GB today but after 12AM i'm still capped!! why is this?

Sun, 23 Oct 2011 23:36:05 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 3469 ms = 295.2 KB/sec, approx 2432 Kbps, 2.38 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 3462 ms = 295.8 KB/sec, approx 2437 Kbps, 2.38 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 3465 ms = 295.5 KB/sec, approx 2435 Kbps, 2.38 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 6928 ms = 295.6 KB/sec, approx 2436 Kbps, 2.38 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2435 Kbps, 2.38 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

Jelly
24-10-2011, 01:06
virgin actively punish you for hitting your limit, and will STM you for 5 hours after the cap is hit, regardless of when you hit it and regardless of whether it is during peak usage. e.g you could hit your cap at 8:59pm then would be limited until 1:59am.

iFrankie
24-10-2011, 01:11
virgin actively punish you for hitting your limit, and will STM you for 5 hours after the cap is hit, regardless of when you hit it and regardless of whether it is during peak usage. e.g you could hit your cap at 8:59pm then would be limited until 1:59am.

Thanks Jelly, that is PATHETIC of them if you ask me, the price im paying for the lowest broadband is ridiculous, i downloaded 1 game from steam which was just below 3GB and BOOM, capped..

Peter_
24-10-2011, 05:52
It is common enough and you would have been better posting some relevant information rather than the above as it does not help the OP in the future.

You are always best waiting until after 9pm before attempting to download if on any of the lower tiers the graph below shows exactly why.

Download Failed (1)

horseman
24-10-2011, 06:42
….You are always best waiting until after 9pm before attempting to download if on any of the lower tiers the graph below shows exactly why…...

Talking of relevancy ;) : only if the op is on a "non uplifted upstream area"?

Otherwise: Faster upload TM (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/faster_upload_traffic_management_table.php)

Unless you literally only want to display download only perhaps? ;)

Peter_
24-10-2011, 07:55
Talking of relevancy ;) : only if the op is on a "non uplifted upstream area"?

Otherwise: Faster upload TM (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/faster_upload_traffic_management_table.php)

Unless you literally only want to display download only perhaps? ;)
Either way they need to take notice of the traffic management as the times still apply to them.;)

Chrysalis
24-10-2011, 11:50
yeah whilst the upload STM is really soft the download STM limit in comparison is pretty tight.

moowow!
24-10-2011, 19:54
I think the cap is really bad, i wanted to download some linux ISO the other day and i got capped!!!! what the point of having a fast internet connection if when u try to use it you get capped!!!!!!!! i could understand if you did it day in day out or every few days but i just used it to the max one in a while and i get punished!!!!

Peter_
24-10-2011, 22:09
I think the cap is really bad, i wanted to download some linux ISO the other day and i got capped!!!! what the point of having a fast internet connection if when u try to use it you get capped!!!!!!!! i could understand if you did it day in day out or every few days but i just used it to the max one in a while and i get punished!!!!
Just download large files after 9pm it works and stops you getting capped.

victork30
25-10-2011, 13:37
well I believe it is a way they can attract people by announcing the highest speeds people can use when in reality, if you use your connection too much it will be throttled.

Ideally broadband should be used any time of the day, not when its bed time. Personally I preferred a monthly cap.

Virgin will only be under pressure to change traffic shaping when more people have a choice on what 'fibre optic' broadband to use.

dibbz
25-10-2011, 14:08
i always do my downloading outside peak hours...and rarely get capped!!

If VM never had the traffic management and you constantly had a low speed - that would be even worse.

When i called VM last week....apparently i downloaded 300gb :shocked: and never got capped once...but i do wonder if that figure is correct!

dont use heavy between 10am - 3pm and 4pm - 9pm After that...hammer it!!:p:

kwikbreaks
25-10-2011, 14:45
Avoiding being capped is very simple and can be achieved by..

Not downloading more than the published amounts per timeslot
or
Upgrading to a product that has a more generous allowance or for 50 and up none at all.

The alternative to the caps would be lots more widespread congestion than there is right now or higher prices. I suspect many take the higher speed products as much to escape the STM as to get the higher speeds. That's why the snotty letters about detrimental use of the service got so many adverse comments - if you can't download want you want when you want you may as well stick on 10Mbps yet VM were quite happy to take extra cash but still demand you don't take advantage of the lack of STM.

Jelly
25-10-2011, 18:53
i agree that we should be capped for downloading more than connection's limit in a given time slot, but limiting after "peak time" helps nobody, and just acts as a frustration to somebody who has hit their limit.

Peter_
25-10-2011, 18:56
i agree that we should be capped for downloading more than connection's limit in a given time slot, but limiting after "peak time" helps nobody, and just acts as a frustration to somebody who has hit their limit.
If you hit the limit before 9pm then you will be restricted for 5 hours but leave it until after 9pm nothing.

kwikbreaks
25-10-2011, 19:24
...limiting after "peak time" helps nobody...It helpd VM avoid upgrades because people get capped all evening a few times and eventually avoid downloading much until after 9pm.

It isn't meant to particularly help anything or anybody - by the time it kicks in the harm (if any) has already been done - it's meant to act as a disincentive in future.