PDA

View Full Version : 50M Google+ Images

LosingPatience
22-10-2011, 10:36
Just a question for the community at large: is anyone else who uses Google+ experiencing intermittent image rendering issues?

To explain my situation: 50MB broadband in Portsmouth, which (except for five of the past six weeks when pings went through the roof and packet loss often hit as high as 56% in the evening (seems a tad more stable now, although far short of what I'd consider worthy of a premium service)) has no issues with other sites and which - most of the time - works well with Google+ too. However... in any given hour there will typically be five or six instances ranging from 3 to 5 minutes in length where no new images will render. A quick look at what the browser's doing will show that it can't seem to fetch content from lhX.googelusercontent.com (where X is any number; one of Google image-serving clusters). Attempting to browse directly to the *.googleusercontent.com address for the image gets a connection actively refused. Wait a few minutes and the problem goes away. For a little while. It's making the act of being social on a social network a trifle irritating.

Numerous tests: in home, VM BB connection, wired and wireless devices, different browsers all showing the same problem. If I connect to my neighbour's unsecured ADSL wifi (I know I shouldn't but there has been that ping/packet loss issue recently that's driven me to the brink of murder) then there's no issue. Using work's ADSL shows no issue. This would indicate to me that it's something on the VM connection that's either interfering directly or triggering some rejection at Google's end.

Again: I'd just like to know if I'm alone in experiencing this before I jump through the various, tedious hoops needed to get someone in Virgin to actually try to resolve this correctly.

By the way: I'd phone support but the phone line's been dead since last weekend (I've reported that elsewhere). I also tried to use their online contact form to discuss this issue but got met with a "web template error" as soon as I hit submit. Did I laugh? No, no I didn't. Currently pleased with VirginMedia... I am not.

Thank you.