PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Moving the superhub

blakey1000
12-10-2011, 09:34
Hi!

I'm new to all this so apologies if I get my terminology wrong.

Can anyone help with this please?

I recently had virgin media installed (phone, Tivo, broadband) and I must say - I like it!

However, I don't like where the superhub is located (on the floor in front of the TV). It looks a bit of a mess and the blue lighting is distracting. However, because of the short length of the cable connecting the superhub to where the broadband comes in from the street my location options are currently limited.

What i'd like to do is get an extension cable and run this under the floor boards so I can then locate the super hub in the other corner of the room, on the book shelf. I reckon 10m of cable would cover it. I would then need to run ethernet cables back under the floor boards to connect to my stuff (internt TV, surround sound system, apple TV).

Is this possible? What cable would I need? Would it mess up the signal?

many thanks

Kingofthedead4
12-10-2011, 09:42
If you go to maplins they can sort you out the cable that you need with the correct connections. I have switched my modem and cable tv cable many times and have not noticed any difference in performance.

Chris
12-10-2011, 09:47
It's worth mentioning that while it should be ok to move it yourself, it is possible that it may not work after being moved. This is because altering the cable length affects the power levels at the modem and if they drop too low it's goodnight Vienna. The only way to find out if it will work is to try it though.

Use satellite grade coax, if possible with moulded f-connectors at either end to save you the hassle of making up your own cable (also because poorly-fitted connectors can cause noise on the line and royally screw up your service).

blakey1000
12-10-2011, 09:53
nice one guys, i'll give it a go and see if it works. The missus will be delighted if it does!

blakey1000
14-10-2011, 19:54
Hi,

I bought some cable as suggested so I can move the super hub from under the telly to onto the book shelf. However, the copper core of the cable I have looks a bit thin compared to the one virgin connected when they installed.

Could someone tell me if this will effect broadband performance please?

Milambar
14-10-2011, 20:19
A bit strange, when I had mine installed, years ago now, the technician asked me 3 questions.
1) Where do you want your TV decoder located?
2) Where do you want the telephone socket located?
3) Where do you want the broadband router located? (OK, true, it was a SACM back then, not a router).

And yes, he installed them exactly where I wanted them.

jb66
14-10-2011, 20:28
It's quicker to put them all in the same place. Try the cable then post your stats on here

blakey1000
14-10-2011, 20:53
Yeah, I was at work and when I came back it was all bottom about face! My wife phoned me at work to tell me virgin had ruined the front of the house and she wasn't speaking to the man! Just a communication breakdown (always the same..... !)

I got back from work in time and sorted it out, asked virgin to move the tv point, got a mate to move the phone and i'm running the super hub cable under the floor

Nopanic
15-10-2011, 08:19
A bit strange, when I had mine installed, years ago now, the technician asked me 3 questions.
1) Where do you want your TV decoder located?
2) Where do you want the telephone socket located?
3) Where do you want the broadband router located? (OK, true, it was a SACM back then, not a router).

And yes, he installed them exactly where I wanted them.

That's what should happen ....

It's quicker to put them all in the same place. Try the cable then post your stats on here

Lazy techs :D

To the OP.. Personally I'd call VM and explain the situation I would hope a free tech would be sent to correct the mistake.. Ok it's your mistake for not being in.. But good customer care especially to new customer is also smart :cool:

Yeah, I was at work and when I came back it was all bottom about face! My wife phoned me at work to tell me virgin had ruined the front of the house and she wasn't speaking to the man! Just a communication breakdown (always the same..... !)

I got back from work in time and sorted it out, asked virgin to move the tv point, got a mate to move the phone and i'm running the super hub cable under the floor

Peter_
15-10-2011, 08:24
I wanted my modem upstairs when I originally had my services fitted, the engineer pulled a face until he saw I had a plumb line hanging down where my water pipe went up stairs and a floorboard up in the room, he fitted it without any qualms.

As Nopanic posted ring in and speak to Customer Relations and they should book a free engineer to resite the modem, ring in on 150 from a Virgin Media phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and choose option 5 option 2 and if you cannot remember your password just press Zero.