PDA

View Full Version : 50M Additional network connection

gmudos
09-10-2011, 12:51
Hi folks,

My broadband connection enters the house via the attic and drops down into a bedroom for the endpoint. I was thinking of buying a server but keeping it out the way in the attic.

Rather than running an RJ45 cable back up to the attic, can Virgin Media split the cable and install another modem?

Any one had similar work done? Also, I'm guessing there will be a £50 charge?

Cheers,
G

ferretuk
09-10-2011, 13:07
If VM did this* you'd be charged two monthly fees for the two broadband connections.

*VM won't install two connections to the same property even if you are willing to pay. Not sure why...

RB2004
09-10-2011, 13:40
worth enquiring if they will allow 1x business connection, and 1x residential connection

my compromise has been to have an expensive netgear VPN Firewall unit with 4x WAN connections that can be load balanced.

got the VM100 connection at the moment, but in the coming months will be also ordering an infinity connection.. then I can load balance between the 2.

Not usually advisable to shove any kind of computer in an attic space due to following considerations.

Cold in the winter
Hot in the summer
dust

I was going to sugest moving your superhub/modem + router up there, then run RJ45 cables down from there to wherever you need a connection, wireless should still work anyway if you use wireless :)

but... if any fault occurs, probably for health and safety reasons, engineers cannot enter an attic space. So should your superhub/modem need replacing you may have problems with that.

qasdfdsaq
09-10-2011, 19:35
UTP is pretty much the gold standard for fast, cheap, reliable and flexible local connections. Why would you want a second VM connection instead?

And no, they don't allow two (residential) modems on the same account. Not sure about mix and match.

Nopanic
09-10-2011, 20:09
I don't see why you couldn't have one Business one residential ?