PDA

View Full Version : 50M Evening packet loss/slow browsing 50Mb

Dai
06-10-2011, 18:46
Just recently I've noticed a massive slowdown in the evenings with considerable packet loss.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6f4182edafd22b486cf9c42a835bc12e.html

Oversubscription or power levels? How do these look?

Ignitionnet
06-10-2011, 19:45
Looking at your graph, especially the way it gets back at peak times, you know, when lots of people are at home and using their services, what do you think? ;)

Power levels would give bad performance all the time in most cases, it's load.

kwikbreaks
06-10-2011, 20:09
So would downgrading to 30Mbps lead to any further reduction in speeds with that sort of over-subscription? I reckon if people just downgraded when their areas get in trouble it would give VM some incentive to sort it out a bit quicker than they seem to currently so long as the reason for the downgrade is made clear to retentions.

I have a vested interest here as my own area may be heading this way.

Dai
06-10-2011, 21:27
Looking at your graph, especially the way it gets back at peak times, you know, when lots of people are at home and using their services, what do you think? ;)

That's pretty much the answer I expected. Not the one I wanted but such is life.

After upgrading recently from a rock-solid 20Mb service in the hopes that docsis3 would be a little faster this is hugely disappointing.

SOSAGES
07-10-2011, 11:31
like this:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33681664-intermitent-browsing-issue.html

Chrysalis
07-10-2011, 12:35
So would downgrading to 30Mbps lead to any further reduction in speeds with that sort of over-subscription? I reckon if people just downgraded when their areas get in trouble it would give VM some incentive to sort it out a bit quicker than they seem to currently so long as the reason for the downgrade is made clear to retentions.

I have a vested interest here as my own area may be heading this way.

seems not.

When I tried 100mbit for a week I had the same speeds I had on 30mbit during congested periods, so I downgraded again.