PDA

View Full Version : 30M Reference Area

Lube
30-09-2011, 21:21
Hello guys,

I live in Stratford (London) and I've got a problem with Virginmedia.
I want to check my cable connection but I can't find my reference area number! Can anyone help me ?

Thank you all

Dennis

Kymmy
30-09-2011, 21:33
Check your bill as it used to be at the top of the first page. (no idea if still current with the new bills)

thenry
30-09-2011, 21:42
if you have a landline with VM put it in instead of your account number

https://my.virginmedia.com/service-status/details;jsessionid=C11127B4877F08BBE33598435754C24 8.tomcatmy4

Lube
30-09-2011, 21:51
Check your bill as it used to be at the top of the first page. (no idea if still current with the new bills)

We don't have any bill yet.. My girlfriend called the customer service and they gave us only the account number (9 digits).

the reference area number should be only 3 digits long

:(

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

oh guys i got it!! i tryed all the numbers :D it's 22!!

Peter_
30-09-2011, 21:52
We don't have any bill yet.. My girlfriend called the customer service and they gave us only the account number (9 digits).

the reference area number should be only 3 digits long

:(
They told her the account number, oh dear that is a breach of DPA and is not allowed.:erm:

AndyCalling
01-10-2011, 05:51
No it isn't. The originator of the account number, and thus the owner of that piece of information, is VM. The worry is that giving out the account number to just anyone would allow them to trigger VM to give them other information about the account which may well break the DPA.

This is, of course, a technicality. Giving out the account number effectively puts VM at risk of breaking the DPA and so will be banned by VM regs and VM Lawyers.

Peter_
01-10-2011, 07:51
No it isn't. The originator of the account number, and thus the owner of that piece of information, is VM. The worry is that giving out the account number to just anyone would allow them to trigger VM to give them other information about the account which may well break the DPA.

This is, of course, a technicality. Giving out the account number effectively puts VM at risk of breaking the DPA and so will be banned by VM regs and VM Lawyers.
We are not allowed to give account numbers as it is classed as a DPA breach the same goes for your telephone number.

If the above happened then the agent breached DPA.

AndyCalling
01-10-2011, 16:51
You'd never make a criminal prosecution stick on those grounds. Actual data owned by the user (ie. originating from them) would have to be passed to get that far. If VM has handed out the account number and then it is used to gain user owned data however, the agent would be in deep do-do because they would have aided in a crime.

This is, as I said, a technicality though. It shouldn't have happened, you are right there.

Sephiroth
01-10-2011, 18:30
Why doesn't one of the VM bods give the OP the area ref for Stratford? The lookup should only take a few seconds.

Peter_
01-10-2011, 18:35
You'd never make a criminal prosecution stick on those grounds. Actual data owned by the user (ie. originating from them) would have to be passed to get that far. If VM has handed out the account number and then it is used to gain user owned data however, the agent would be in deep do-do because they would have aided in a crime.

This is, as I said, a technicality though. It shouldn't have happened, you are right there.
It is the agent who can be fined up to £5000 possibly be jailed and obviously lose their job not the person asking for the information so as such it is a big no no and any agent caught doing so should at the very minimum be instantly dismissed due to Gross Misconduct.

This is one of the first items you are told when you start training and you sign documentation to say that you fully understand the reasons why.

vmfriend
01-10-2011, 18:48
Maybe his girlfriend was named on the account as well :-/

Peter_
01-10-2011, 18:51
Maybe his girlfriend was named on the account as well :-/
I do not think you are understanding what I mean here, regardless of who calls up and even if they tell us the account password we cannot inform them over the phone of either their account number or home phone number as it is a sackable offence for which we can be prosecuted, and any agent that breaches this should be reported for doing so as it is a confidentiality issue.

vmfriend
01-10-2011, 18:54
I don't really want to get into a big discussion about the DPA because I have had countless experiences where companies spout 'i can't give you that, DPA blah blah blah' which is just used carte blanche and 'technically' is unrelated to the DPA at all.

You have direction upon high and that is fair enough, no point in losing your job over something so trivial.

Peter_
01-10-2011, 18:57
I don't really want to get into a big discussion about the DPA because I have had countless experiences where companies spout 'i can't give you that, DPA blah blah blah' which is just used carte blanche and 'technically' is unrelated to the DPA at all.

You have direction upon high and that is fair enough, no point in losing your job over something so trivial.
Account numbers and home phone numbers are covered by DPA and no agent working for any company should ever quote them over a phone line to anyone as it breaches confidentiality.

vmfriend
01-10-2011, 18:59
Yes if disclosed to a third party (i.e. not the account holder) there is nothing that contravenes the DPA if you were to give me MY account number having passed the appropriate security checks to satisfy said company that I am indeed the account holder.

As i said, you have direction, lets leave it at that.

Sephiroth
01-10-2011, 19:38
Why doesn't one of the VM bods give the OP the area ref for Stratford? The lookup should only take a few seconds.

Peter_
01-10-2011, 19:57
Yes if disclosed to a third party (i.e. not the account holder) there is nothing that contravenes the DPA if you were to give me MY account number having passed the appropriate security checks to satisfy said company that I am indeed the account holder.

As i said, you have direction, lets leave it at that.
It is a breach of DPA whatever way you word it and the only way you would get your account number is by post and your phone number is easy just ring your own mobile or a friend.

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

They would have to be in work to find that out.

Sephiroth
01-10-2011, 21:09
They would have to be in work to find that out.

So - the agent could have originally provided the are reference for Strtaford. The OP no doubt looks forward to Monday!

Peter_
02-10-2011, 08:06
So - the agent could have originally provided the are reference for Strtaford. The OP no doubt looks forward to Monday!
Giving out an area reference is fine but other details such as account numbers and telephone numbers are not.