PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Now that R30 is out...is it safe to give up my Ambit 256/Dlink Router just yet?

Gazjam
29-09-2011, 18:31
Getting a mixed vibe about R30 over on Virgin forums?

I was on 30MB but with the Superhub my BB speed and LAN performance was quite poor, wrote to CEO's office and temporarily stepped down to 20MB with Ambit/Dlink kit.

I've asked the question of CEO's office to confirm the firmware is "production ready", (no answer yet) but wanted an opinion of actual end users too.

Cheers

thenry
29-09-2011, 19:50
R30 will somewhat cure stability but will mean nothing if you've issues elsewhere. what was happening in full to your superhub running r26?

Mick Fisher
29-09-2011, 21:01
So far as I am concerned the only worthwhile thing in R30 is modem mode. As a router the superhub is still junk.

jb66
29-09-2011, 21:17
Over the last week or so I've had much less wifi visits, I'd say your safe, if not you can plug the dlink into the hub

Gazjam
30-09-2011, 17:27
Before I had poor Lan speed.
Couldn't stream 1080p video to DNLA tv via ethernet for instance.
Wireless was strictly a no go.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Can always use Modem mode I reckon if theres any issues and I'd get back up to my 30mb speed.

Just awaiting a reply from CEO's office.....

vmfriend
30-09-2011, 17:30
If it wasn't production ready they wouldn't have released it (although some will have their own views)

thenry
30-09-2011, 17:35
gazjam your SH will be fine. R30 has been released which you should get once your SH is live unless your levels cause a problem obtaining it.. thats what I've read anyway. you should be fine IMO

Gazjam
30-09-2011, 17:37
That was my thoughts too, but theres still a lot of issues according to users over on Virginmedia forums.

Its the usual though I guess, you only hear about the bad stories.... :)

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Thanks for the info guys, I'll contact the CEO's office and go back to SH (and look into a credit as discussed....)

KenK
30-09-2011, 21:28
If it wasn't production ready they wouldn't have released it (although some will have their own views):LOL:They released the first "super"hub firmware way, way before it was 'production ready' ; why should anyone believe they've got it right now? When was it first released; and how many releases, and non-releases, have there been since then as they tried to sort out the bugs and design errors? What makes you think R30 is perfect?

Gazjam
30-09-2011, 21:51
:LOL:They released the first "super"hub firmware way, way before it was 'production ready' ; why should anyone believe they've got it right now? When was it first released; and how many releases, and non-releases, have there been since then as they tried to sort out the bugs and design errors? What makes you think R30 is perfect?

Yeah...I saw that and thought hmnnn....
Hundreds of Superhub complaints and VM admitting the faults kind of suggests it was originally put out not ready?

Think its time to go back to the superhub.
(not sure I want to stop using my DD-WRT Dlink though... :))

KenK
30-09-2011, 22:28
Think its time to go back to the superhub.
(not sure I want to stop using my DD-WRT Dlink though... :))So use the superhub in modem mode, and keep the Dlink. It makes it the sh the most over-specified 10Mb cable modem ever - or is that the most under-performing hub ever? Although, if you're on 10Mb and you're getting the service you pay for, why change?

vmfriend
30-09-2011, 22:58
@KenK

I didn't say it was perfect did I ?

I did say 'others will have their own view' which you clearly do.

I have had no issues with my hub personally, but then again others have.

He can use modem mode if the facilities of the hub do not suit, seems that their are no issues with modem mode from what i have read which is a feature alot of folks seemed to be asking for.

Gazjam
01-10-2011, 00:38
So use the "super"hub in modem mode, and keep the Dlink. It makes it the "s"h the most over-specified 10Mb cable modem ever - or is that the most under-performing hub ever? Although, if you're on 10Mb and you're getting the service you pay for, why change?

I'm paying for 30MB :dunce:
Sure it was a typo :)

Can I ask, how are YOU finding your Superhub?
Genuine question..the cynical guys tend to give the best answers.... :)

thenry
01-10-2011, 13:08
he hasn't got a SH. I have, its running fine. if your levels are fine and there isn't a networking fault in your area then with R30 your SH should be stable.

Chrysalis
02-10-2011, 12:07
If it wasn't production ready they wouldn't have released it (although some will have their own views)

BETA testers from pre launch disagree with you.

My own experience of using it early on (I got 30mbit the same week of launch) disagrees with you.

jb66
02-10-2011, 15:14
I reported it as a beta tester too but they released it anyway

KenK
02-10-2011, 21:52
I'm paying for 30MB :dunce: Sure it was a typo :)Your profile (on the left) says 10Mb.
Can I ask, how are YOU finding your Superhub?
Genuine question..the cynical guys tend to give the best answers.... :)As thenry said, I don't have one; NTL256 meets all my broadband needs.

I have long questioned the "super" part of the name, it seems a 'bog standard' piece of router kit; and if it's in modem-only mode, it doesn't really qualify as a "hub" either. So, basically it's just another cable modem ...

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

@KenK

I didn't say it was perfect did I ?
You said it was 'production ready'. 9-10 months later, they've only just released a firmware update to fix a memory leak. That's not my idea of 'ready'.