PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Freeview + old tv

ejayben
18-09-2011, 19:31
I recently tried connecting an old Sony Trinitron to a cheap (and nasty) SEG freeview box I have.
The tv has no scart capability.
I was unable to get any hint of a freeview picture despite repeated efforts to tune it in.
Someone (I dont trust) said this was because the freeview box was too cheap.
Is this true and what can I do to remedy this?

nodrogd
18-09-2011, 23:24
Assuming the box has an RF modulator built in, there should be a facility to change the output UHF channel. Try changing the output channel and searching again as the current output channel may be masked by an analogue broadcast signal on the same channel.

Kymmy
19-09-2011, 08:54
Most freeview boxes don't have a modulator built in

Pauls9
19-09-2011, 09:13
Wasn't there a channel change a few years back which rendered older boxes obsolete?

jb66
19-09-2011, 09:14
Tv sounds obsolete too

Kymmy
19-09-2011, 10:06
Wasn't there a channel change a few years back which rendered older boxes obsolete?

It was a standards change that meant that some boxes couldn't scan in all the channels, you would at least get 80% of the channels with the rest being addable by manual settings if your freeview box allowed it..

If the TV has only a UHF antenna socket then you'll need to find a freeview box with a built in modulator, other than that you can buy an external modulator (ebay search for SCART MODULATOR and there's lots for under £20 delivered). Is there no component sockets on the TV??