PDA

View Full Version : 100M Superhub Question

tonyk79
17-09-2011, 23:58
Hi,

I am due to be upgraded to the 100MB in Ocotober, and I currently have 50MB with just the Virgin supplied Modem and using my own Netgear 3700 router. My question is, do I have to use the Superhub or can I still make use of my existing Modem and Router. I have read the various issues people have with this Superhub. I dont mind using it as a modem and using my Netgear router for the wireless features.

thanks

AndyCalling
18-09-2011, 00:06
Modem mode is now available on the Superhub, so you can use it as a modem with your current router if that's what you want.

tonyk79
18-09-2011, 00:15
Thanks Andy. Everything on my current network works 100% so I just want my quicker download speed..

qasdfdsaq
18-09-2011, 02:51
Lots of people in your position have been waiting nearly a year for this so called upgrade to allow us to put things back the way they were before...

roughbeast
18-09-2011, 21:38
Slightly off topic. I haven't seen this anywhere on the forum. Here is the most recent 100Mb rollout time table. http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/100Mb%20rollout%2014%2009%2011.pdf

I do hope they have the superhub properly sorted out soon. ATM I am still tempted by the VMNG300 in the short-term. My ideal is to be able to use my WNDR3700 with the superhub in modem only mode. Can this really be done now with no issues?

I will need to decide soon because Coventry is due for upgrade to 100Mb in October.

kwikbreaks
19-09-2011, 12:11
I have seen no believable complaints about the modem section of the superhub and no complaints about problems when using modem mode.

The hubs failings are limited to a distinctly lack lustre feature set for the router, mediocre wireless performance, and general instability which can almost certainly all be laid at the door of the memory leak in the wifi driver VM identified and declared fixed.

About the only problem I can see with using the Superhub as a modem is the size, poor connector layout, and possibly a still overbright VM logo although even that may be toned down in modem mode and if not gaffer tape is your friend.

If you feel the need for 100Mbps then I think R30 has probably removed the last obstacle.

Stephen
19-09-2011, 13:28
Hi,

I am due to be upgraded to the 100MB in Ocotober, and I currently have 50MB with just the Virgin supplied Modem and using my own Netgear 3700 router. My question is, do I have to use the Superhub or can I still make use of my existing Modem and Router. I have read the various issues people have with this Superhub. I dont mind using it as a modem and using my Netgear router for the wireless features.

thanks
What you must remember though is that not everyone is having those issues. There are a very very vocal posters that would have you believe otherwise though.

I've been using my SH for nearly a year now with now problems at all and in that time only 2 occasions of the wifi dropping. I have recently been using a different SH on 100MB and that too has been performing fantastically.

qasdfdsaq
19-09-2011, 15:01
What kind of speed do you get over the SH's wireless on 100mb?

Stephen
19-09-2011, 15:53
Never actually ran a speed test to find out TBH. I have no need. I know with my 50Mb via my wireless N laptop I get pretty much 40-47Mb most of the time.

qasdfdsaq
20-09-2011, 22:11
Just curious if the Superhub's wireless actually managed 100mb or not, since you're one of the few who report you have no problems.

It's supposed to do up to 180mbps but most other people says it struggles to get above 70.

roughbeast
21-09-2011, 11:12
I have seen no believable complaints about the modem section of the superhub and no complaints about problems when using modem mode......If you feel the need for 100Mbps then I think R30 has probably removed the last obstacle.

Thanks. I see nobody argueing with you here either.

When the time comes I'll discuss the modem only mode with the engineer and also ask advice from here .

Ignitionnet
21-09-2011, 11:16
Unsure what you're expecting the engineer to tell you, they aren't CPE experts, however I have been on 'modem mode' since R26 and May, and can assure you it works just fine.

Sephiroth
23-09-2011, 14:59
What you must remember though is that not everyone is having those issues. There are a very very vocal posters that would have you believe otherwise though.

I've been using my SH for nearly a year now with now problems at all and in that time only 2 occasions of the wifi dropping. I have recently been using a different SH on 100MB and that too has been performing fantastically.

I'll just qualify that. First, if I'm included in Stephen's "very very" category (am I?), I've never said everyone's having issues with the SH.

Second, it is a FACT that everyone's SH was afflicted with bugs, particularly memory leaks and that this has gone on for nearly a year - which is awful.

R30 may well have seen an end to the stability problems, though it is still slugged in terms of router features for those who only want one unit.

imran
29-09-2011, 17:15
SH, lacks basic router features, I am inclined to stick to my DIR-655 and put the SH into modem mode.