PDA

View Full Version : 30M Jitter/Packetloss

dragon
17-09-2011, 00:03
This is a family members VM line on rdgn20 (reading UBR 20?)

Not sure if it's usage related or something is wrong as I can't see the traffic levels in/out of their router

They have the Superhub from when they upgraded to 30M but it wasn't much better before when they were on 10M, at least now I can ping it (Their previous router had icmp blocked)

The first image is from one of the bad days and then the second one should be from today where it doesn't look as bad.

I was there the other week and ended up getting out my HSPA modem as that provided a more stable connection than the VM line.

Any ideas as to if it usage or as to if it's just stuffed?

General Maximus
17-09-2011, 08:33
it isn't network congestion at that time of the night dude. Have you had a a look at the error logs and power levels to see if there are any issues?

dragon
17-09-2011, 11:48
it isn't network congestion at that time of the night dude. Have you had a a look at the error logs and power levels to see if there are any issues?

I did think it might be power levels but sadly I cannot get access to the hub to check :-(

By usage I was thinking upstream or downstream saturation locally rather than congestion on the vm network.

If it were my connection I'd be trobleshooting to try and fix it but as it's not I can't really do much other than suggesting things to the account holder.

Sephiroth
17-09-2011, 12:14
The acccount holder could provide the full stats and event log so we can help you to provide the suggestions. Otherise ist's worse than guesswork.

General Maximus
17-09-2011, 18:20
if they can run speed tests and post jpgs they can go to 192.168.100.1 and do a copy and paste

Chrysalis
20-09-2011, 04:38
maximus what time of night?

its entirely possible to have network congestion at night on a VM connection.

That graph appears to show it until 2am which is most defenitly possible.

General Maximus
20-09-2011, 08:37
oh, i have never had any probs going full whack after 2200 and the graph shows up to midnight

Chrysalis
20-09-2011, 09:48
even my graph in my sig shows what I am saying.

Now in terms of speeds yes they normally higher after 10pm, but in terms of jitter, I often dont see it die down til after 2am and sometimes on heavy days it can be until 6am. Some areas have congestion 24/7.

I tried 100mbit for a week and I never got above 60mbit speeds at 'any' time of the day, even at 6am.