PDA

View Full Version : 30M Well Done Virgin!

adduxi
16-09-2011, 23:54
Just thought I would post a good report about Virgin Broadband for a change :angel:

Here's a wee piccy of my uptime. I'm on 30MB, VMNG300 and Asus RT-N16 Router, running Tomato.

For non-forum Members, who can't see the attachment it's 141 days.... :)

Nice one Virgin!

Nopanic
17-09-2011, 09:34
:ninja:

ferretuk
17-09-2011, 10:39
Just thought I would post a good report about Virgin Broadband for a change :angel:

Here's a wee piccy of my uptime. I'm on 30MB, VMNG300 and Asus RT-N16 Router, running Tomato.

For non-forum Members, who can't see the attachment it's 141 days.... :)

Nice one Virgin!

Isn't that the time since your Asus router was last rebooted? That's got nothing to do with any outages on the Virgin services...

That said, I also find my Virgin service to be very reliable :)

adduxi
17-09-2011, 11:46
Isn't that the time since your Asus router was last rebooted? That's got nothing to do with any outages on the Virgin services...

That said, I also find my Virgin service to be very reliable :)

True, but what I was trying to say, was it's not all negativity with Virgin. ;)

Also the uptime is the same for the cable router, i.e. no reboots or power cycles, which is pretty darn good.....

As for outages, I can only say in the past many years, they are few and far between in this (ex-NTL) area.

qasdfdsaq
17-09-2011, 12:26
It's nothing to do with virgin. Your router wasn't supplied by, run by, or otherwise in any way connected with Virgin.

I could show you the uptime of my air con but that wouldn't say jack about Virgin either.

adduxi
20-09-2011, 18:18
It's nothing to do with virgin. Your router wasn't supplied by, run by, or otherwise in any way connected with Virgin.

I could show you the uptime of my air con but that wouldn't say jack about Virgin either.

Ahh, I think you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say :) , and let's not forget I am an 'ex-Superhub' user who was lucky enough to get a VMNG300 modem!
All I am stating is for the past, now 145 days, my service from Virgin has been fine.
Just giving credit where credit is due.

carbon60
20-09-2011, 22:36
I wish I could have a VMNG300 modem :(

qasdfdsaq
20-09-2011, 23:47
Ahh, I think you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say :) , and let's not forget I am an 'ex-Superhub' user who was lucky enough to get a VMNG300 modem!
All I am stating is for the past, now 145 days, my service from Virgin has been fine.
Just giving credit where credit is due.
Then you probably should have posted a screenshot of your service from Virgin instead of your completely unrelated and non-Virgin router.

General Maximus
21-09-2011, 09:44
Then you probably should have posted a screenshot of your service from Virgin instead of your completely unrelated and non-Virgin router.

meow

qasdfdsaq
21-09-2011, 22:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ6KNaf9zAc

craigj2k12
22-09-2011, 03:30
the vmng doesnt show uptime

qasdfdsaq
22-09-2011, 10:13
The logs do. In fact they show connection uptime not just device uptime.

tweetiepooh
22-09-2011, 11:37
Ah, but the usual sequence with a fault is power everything off.

Power up SACM (in this case) and wait
Power up router and wait
Power up PC

Now oft you don't need to turn everything off, just the SACM but it is the "done thing" so showing router uptime is (or can be) indicative of service uptime.

Speaking of uptime this is one of our servers that will unfortunately soon be powered down.

Last login: Wed Sep 21 09:47:18 2011 from tarsus.vmc.priva
You have new mail.
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.5.1 Generic May 1996
You have new mail.
# uptime
10:36am up 4290 day(s), 18:04, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.12, 0.13
#

qasdfdsaq
22-09-2011, 15:03
That might be the usual sequence for some people, but not me. My normal sequence is... do nothing.

Router has a script that detects if the internet connection has gone down and automatically resets the modem interface. It'll also detect when the modem has crashed, but since I don't have an IP switched PDU it can't reset it automatically so sends me a message to do so. Powering off my PC won't solve anything so I don't even bother with that... I'm yet to see the router crash so have never had to power that down.

Looking at your server though, I was petrified when I found one here which hadn't been patched or rebooted in nearly two years. That's mighty impressive! Though I must say - I sure hope that's not even remotely connected to the internet while running a 15-year-old OS...

Still, Sun systems were notoriously good for never needing to be powered down - they were great machines.

adduxi
23-09-2011, 09:20
Last login: Wed Sep 21 09:47:18 2011 from tarsus.vmc.priva
You have new mail.
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.5.1 Generic May 1996
You have new mail.
# uptime
10:36am up 4290 day(s), 18:04, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.12, 0.13
#

LOL, makes my 'Broadband' uptime pale into insignificance :)

And, yes, I will conceed the router uptime is not necessarly the 'true' picture. Just trying to give credit to Virgin for, what is in my mind, a good service.
Maybe it would have been better not to mention it at all ......