PDA

View Full Version : 50M Upload question

SOSAGES
16-09-2011, 09:33
Hello one and all,

Last year i got told of by VM for using my download a lot over a short time (i did i admit it)
they sent me a letter and since then i have stuck to 9-9 downloading/uploading anything big.

I have to upload around 300GB and would like to do this over the weekend (or at least get it started)
I was wondering if anyone knew if upload was counted / monitored by VM and will it cause me to get another letter? if so i will just do 10GB a night for the next few weeks

thanks in advance

Sephiroth
16-09-2011, 09:52
300 GB upload puts more strain on the local network than download because there is less capacity (16QAM) across fewer channels shared across the same user base.

They're watching.

SOSAGES
16-09-2011, 10:32
yep that was my thinking about upload.
ok if they are watching i will play nicely
dammit i have a boring couple of weeks coming up

AbyssUnderground
16-09-2011, 12:15
Why should you play nicely when you pay for your connection? Use as much upload and download as you like... They sell an UNLIMITED service to you, subject to throttling. If you're using too much on your UNLIMITED package, they shouldn't be selling it to you, or they should enforce throttling more.

That's my 2p...

SOSAGES
16-09-2011, 13:18
only so much bandwidth in the world :)
i got told off once and since have been worried about using it out of 9-9hours

AbyssUnderground
16-09-2011, 13:22
That may be so, but you pay for it so what does it matter? :)

I'm with Be*there and frequently do 500GB+/month and frequently max out 10Mbps for days on end. I did 1.05TB in a month a few months ago. Not a peep from Be* :) Did 800GB frequently when I was on Virgin 10Mbps too.

I still can't understand why the ASA haven't stopped Virgin selling an unlimited product when it's obviously not unlimited. I think the word "unlimited" needs re-defining in advertising. It's like this: "Unlimited texts!* ............. *Maximum FUP 3000 texts a month" ... That's NOT unlimited then is it! Etc...

:) </rant>

jb66
16-09-2011, 14:43
That may be so, but you pay for it so what does it matter? :)

I'm with Be*there and frequently do 500GB+/month and frequently max out 10Mbps for days on end. I did 1.05TB in a month a few months ago. Not a peep from Be* :) Did 800GB frequently when I was on Virgin 10Mbps too.

I still can't understand why the ASA haven't stopped Virgin selling an unlimited product when it's obviously not unlimited. I think the word "unlimited" needs re-defining in advertising. It's like this: "Unlimited texts!* ............. *Maximum FUP 3000 texts a month" ... That's NOT unlimited then is it! Etc...

:) </rant>

I suppose I can compare it to going to pizza hut and getting unlimited refills, some have 2 or 3. But you would be there for 12 hours sipping away. :)

Ignitionnet
16-09-2011, 14:46
Hello one and all,

Last year i got told of by VM for using my download a lot over a short time (i did i admit it)
they sent me a letter and since then i have stuck to 9-9 downloading/uploading anything big.

I have to upload around 300GB and would like to do this over the weekend (or at least get it started)
I was wondering if anyone knew if upload was counted / monitored by VM and will it cause me to get another letter? if so i will just do 10GB a night for the next few weeks

thanks in advance

Just do it - STM will come in and throttle you anyways.

Skullet
19-09-2011, 18:10
I think its bad enough that they throttle a supposedly unlimited connection, but sending you letters for using it too much is frankly poor.

If I was in your position I'd upload the file, heck I'd probably upload it twice just to spite them. If they send you any more letters then contact Trading Standards or seek legal advice elsewhere.

AbyssUnderground
19-09-2011, 18:39
I think its bad enough that they throttle a supposedly unlimited connection, but sending you letters for using it too much is frankly poor.

If I was in your position I'd upload the file, heck I'd probably upload it twice just to spite them. If they send you any more letters then contact Trading Standards or seek legal advice elsewhere.

That's the attitude I like :)

Skullet
19-09-2011, 19:15
That's the attitude I like :)

Thanks. :D

If people don't challenge Virgin over this sort behaviour, then they will continue to impose restrictions and rebrand words like "unlimited" till we are left paying for a service that we can't use.

The problem is that Virgin wants to have its cake and eat it, worse still it wants to have your cake too. I'd like to hear them define how much is too much? If they can put a number on it then it isn't unlimited and they are guilty of false advertising and as such fraud. :)

AbyssUnderground
19-09-2011, 19:22
Bingo! And that's exactly my point too. I'm with Be*There at the moment and I've never heard of anyone having a letter from downloading/uploading too much. They truly are an unlimited ISP, just as Virgin should be. I remember the days when they were, and before STM as well. Those were good times...

Mick Fisher
19-09-2011, 19:22
Thanks. :D

If people don't challenge Virgin over this sort behaviour, then they will continue to impose restrictions and rebrand words like "unlimited" till we are left paying for a service that we can't use.

The problem is that Virgin wants to have its cake and eat it, worse still it wants to have your cake too. I'd like to hear them define how much is too much? If they can put a number on it then it isn't unlimited and they are guilty of false advertising and as such fraud. :)
Hmmm.......I wonder if that is why they always refuse to talk real numbers when warning of overuse?

Skullet
19-09-2011, 20:25
Bingo! And that's exactly my point too. I'm with Be*There at the moment and I've never heard of anyone having a letter from downloading/uploading too much. They truly are an unlimited ISP, just as Virgin should be. I remember the days when they were, and before STM as well. Those were good times...

Thats how it should be. If they sell a service that is unlimited then it should be without limits, the minute Virgin started STM'ing people and sending out letters they were guilty of fraudulent practices. I remember the good old days of Telewest and Blueyonder, and frankly since it changed to Virgin the service has gone down like the Hindenburg. :)

Hmmm.......I wonder if that is why they always refuse to talk real numbers when warning of overuse?

They wont talk real numbers because it shatters the illusion of their unlimited service, despite the fact it is already well and truly shattered by their use of STM and other forms of traffic shaping, along with letters about overuse.

Next they will rebrand the term "Free Internet" for which you will pay £35 and will be restricted to viewing websites that end in .co.uk, and you can only use it on Wednesdays and Thursdays. :D

Sephiroth
19-09-2011, 20:26
It's sold as "unlimited1". A big difference.

Skullet
19-09-2011, 20:47
It's sold as "unlimited1". A big difference.

Huh?

Have you actually read what the 1 refers to? Its a page load of vague statements and no real numbers, which basically just highlights the very point we are making, well played. :)

Sephiroth
19-09-2011, 20:54
Huh?

Have you actually read what the 1 refers to? Its a page load of vague statements and no real numbers, which basically just highlights the very point we are making, well played. :)

That's a different point. Everyone reading the FUP understands what it is trying to do - namely reduce individual load at peak times.

That VM refuse to provide any figures is nothing short of disgraceful. This is where attack should be focused. It is unfair and one sided and may be unenforceable in law if anyone cares to take them to court.

And of course I've read it. I've tried to put it all in one place here (http://www.**************/index.php/topic,151.0.html).

Skullet
19-09-2011, 21:16
That's a different point. Everyone reading the FUP understands what it is trying to do - namely reduce individual load at peak times.

That VM refuse to provide any figures is nothing short of disgraceful. This is where attack should be focused. It is unfair and one sided and may be unenforceable in law if anyone cares to take them to court.

And of course I've read it. I've tried to put it all in one place here (http://www.**************/index.php/topic,151.0.html).

I understand what they are trying to do, but they shouldn't use the word unlimited while they are doing it. The practice of sticking extra stipulations onto a word that completely contradict the meaning of the word, is at best dubious, at worst its blatantly fraudulent.

I agree Virgin's refusal to provide actual numbers is disgraceful. Its like saying the speed limit on a road is unlimited, then punishing people for breaking the speed limit without telling them what said limit actually is. I agree, I think they could be on shaky ground should anyone legally challenge them.

Sephiroth
19-09-2011, 21:32
Here we go again. "Unlimited1" qualifies "unlimited" - it doesn't contradict it. It tells you what is unlimited (volume) and sets rate of volume aside for traffic management. For all but the DUP letters, it tells you what the limits are.

Skullet
19-09-2011, 22:12
Here we go again. "Unlimited1" qualifies "unlimited" - it doesn't contradict it. It tells you what is unlimited (volume) and sets rate of volume aside for traffic management. For all but the DUP letters, it tells you what the limits are.

Hmmm not sure how you figure that, if 1 = a statement that contradicts the word it is attached to then I don't see how that qualifies anything.

Nothing about the service is unlimited once you take into account STM, FUP and anything else they want to throw in, so why are they using the word unlimited? This really isn't a difficult question, ask 10 people in the street to define the word unlimited and they will all give you the much same answer, and it isn't the same answer as Virgin are giving. :)

Sephiroth
19-09-2011, 22:29
As you know, the "unlimited1" printed differently in the adverts, the "1" being a superscript suffic. It's the same as an * you see on adverts that lead you small print with "terms & conditions apply".

That is fully accepted in advertising standards and in the courts. The "1" qualifies the word "unlimited" by pointing you to a raft of limitations other than volume.

Ask 10 intelligent peopke in the street what "unlimited1" means when shown to them in an advert and they'd say what I'm saying. Volume is unlimited - you just cant download it always at the rate you want. That they don't tell you when you're gonna hit a threshold is downright shameful.

Skullet
20-09-2011, 18:04
As you know, the "unlimited1" printed differently in the adverts, the "1" being a superscript suffic. It's the same as an * you see on adverts that lead you small print with "terms & conditions apply".

That is fully accepted in advertising standards and in the courts. The "1" qualifies the word "unlimited" by pointing you to a raft of limitations other than volume.

Ask 10 intelligent peopke in the street what "unlimited1" means when shown to them in an advert and they'd say what I'm saying. Volume is unlimited - you just cant download it always at the rate you want. That they don't tell you when you're gonna hit a threshold is downright shameful.

I know exactly what it is, it still doesn't change the fact that it completely contradicts the meaning of the word its attached to.

un·lim·it·ed
[uhn-lim-i-tid]

adjective
1. Not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.

2. Boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.

3. Without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

The important words to note there are "unrestricted" "infinite" and "unconditional" Do any of those words describe Virgins broadband service? Not even close.

I'm not sure why your trying to defend said practice, regardless of how advertising standards see it.

And I took the time to ask 10 intelligent people earlier today, none of them said what you are saying. And volume isn't unlimited, if it was then they wouldn't be sending people letters for overuse, seriously at least try to keep up. :)

jb66
20-09-2011, 18:25
I know exactly what it is, it still doesn't change the fact that it completely contradicts the meaning of the word its attached to.

un·lim·it·ed
[uhn-lim-i-tid]

adjective
1. Not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.

2. Boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.

3. Without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

The important words to note there are "unrestricted" "infinite" and "unconditional" Do any of those words describe Virgins broadband service? Not even close.

I'm not sure why your trying to defend said practice, regardless of how advertising standards see it.

And I took the time to ask 10 intelligent people earlier today, none of them said what you are saying. And volume isn't unlimited, if it was then they wouldn't be sending people letters for overuse, seriously at least try to keep up. :)

In that case no broadband is unlimited, all lines are limited to the maximum speed they can go :)

Ignitionnet
20-09-2011, 20:09
Also perfectly irrelevant, as has been done to death the ASA and Ofcom are fine with the definition VM are using. Take it up with them, VM will naturally take as much latitude as ASA/Ofcom permit them.