PDA

View Full Version : General TV signal problems

luce_86
11-09-2011, 17:36
Ok, so I'm new on here and basically joined up because my very limited technical know-how has already been stretched by trying to set up my TV! I have a John Lewis TV with inbuilt freeview that has previously worked using both a loft aerial and a small internal aerial, however, since moving to Brighton I'm struggling to get a decent analogue picture and have no digital channels at all. I'm living in a rented house-share, but have what seems to be a TV co-ax socket in my room, so tried that - no luck. I then tried my trusty internal aerial and can just about get an analogue picture. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice before I ask the landlord if there's problems with the coonection to the main aerial (I fear the response will be either be 'i don't care' or 'it will cost you' !). Also, I've been considering investing in a humax freeview recorder box for a while, do you think this would have a better signal than inbuilt freeview?

Sorry this turned out to be quite long!Thanks for your time and any responses!:)

Chris
11-09-2011, 18:15
OK ... first things first. Visit this website and give it your postcode, then post the results back here:

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?MAP=661,936

luce_86
11-09-2011, 18:18
Hi Chris, I get Brighton Whitehawk Hill, apparently 1 mile away

Chris
11-09-2011, 18:28
I need much more information than that - could you copy and paste the entire results

luce_86
11-09-2011, 18:40
Sure, sorry...I'll PM you my postcode as I can't copy and paste everyting in the grid format...

Chris
11-09-2011, 18:55
W Brighton Whitehawk Hill 66 200 50 400 55 200 48 1k 58 400 61 400 CD V TQ330045 (http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/txpath.exe?RXOS=BN2+4LR&RXHT=10&TXOS=TQ330045&TXHT=164&UHF=58%20&TXNAME=Brighton+Whitehawk+Hill) 49 * 1 221 Amplified extra hi-gain

Your trusty set-top aerial isn't going to get you very far here ... your local transmitter is just a low-power relay. It's also your only choice as there are no other local or distant transmitter options.

The same transmitter broadcasts analogue at a slightly higher power, which will be why your set-top aerial gets you a poor analogue picture even though there's no digital.

'Amplified extra high gain' means you need a big rooftop aerial and a powered amplifier to get good quality reception from the Whitehawk Hill transmitter. That's the sort of thing that *should* be on the other end of the coax terminal in your room, but probably isn't, if you're getting nothing from it.

If you want any TV at all, you are going to have to talk to your landlord, if only to find out what the other residents in your building are doing to get theirs.

And no, I wouldn't buy that lovely Humax until you sort this out, it won't make much difference. If any.

luce_86
11-09-2011, 19:02
Ok, cheers Chris, I'll get on it!

thenry
08-11-2011, 19:33
my aunty has the same problem. shes getting most channels on her freeview box but bbc1, 2 and three don't appear. I've told her to get onto the private company dealing with it as she cannot get one installed. She lives right near the seas front in a private area, hard to explain but its near enough impossible to have individual aerials or dishes up so they share. her neighbours said they have issues viewing or even getting it in the results of a scan too. this switch over, will the local transmitters levels be much higher to obtain decent coverage?

Chris
08-11-2011, 20:06
Transmitter power post-switchover should be higher, yes.

thenry
08-11-2011, 20:16
thank you. the level of service is poor as well.