PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Virgin National Modem / Router config

MalNichol
04-09-2011, 20:04
Can anyone help me with the best configaration for my ADSL modem router. Just got rid of the rubbish netgear one and opted for a TP Link.

Just moved to ADSL due to house move after 10yrs on virgin cable. Any help would be gratefully recieved bit of a novice on ADSL.:dunce:

General Maximus
05-09-2011, 05:46
not sure what you would configure different on an adsl router vs cable but I would create static entries for google dns servers to stop you from looking at the virgin ones and if you are using wireless you want to be using WPA2 with AES.

qasdfdsaq
05-09-2011, 20:46
If you don't know what you're doing, leave everything on auto.

Cobbydaler
05-09-2011, 22:36
What do you mean by 'best configuration'?

General Maximus
06-09-2011, 08:22
i forgot to say, if you have got wireless n devices only, set your wireless settings to N only and not mixed which will probably be the default

MalNichol
06-09-2011, 10:00
TCP, MTU settings etc and any other little tweaks that may increase the speed of the broadband. Gone from 30mb download to 5mb due to no cable in the area I moved to having a bit of a culture broadband shock????

Malcolm

Chris
06-09-2011, 10:47
You'll get used to it Malcolm. Mind you, when I left cable I was on 750k, such was the state of the industry back in the day. I moved off-net and had to tolerate dial-up for a couple of years. These days I get 2.25Mb (2.5Mb on a good day) from my broadband, which is Virgin Media until some time later on this evening when it switches to BT. The postie should be bringing me my shiny new HomeHub later this morning. :D

So, for posterity as much as anything else, here are my modem/router settings for VM ADSL:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=22614&stc=1&d=1315302416

The DNS settings are for OpenDNS.

MalNichol
06-09-2011, 11:20
Thanks for the info good luck with BT

General Maximus
06-09-2011, 19:29
yeah that is the one thing I'll say atm, as much as we all love to moan about VM (and they do deserve it sometimes) the reality is that I know I can't get better elsewhere atm. My connection with VM has been the fastest you can get for the last 10 years and I know that even if it is only plodding along at 50% in the evenings due to network congestion, it is still faster than what most other peeps are getting. I just feel sorry for the millions of people on adsl with other isps who can't appreciate what proper broadband is like because they are stuck on rubbish speeds.