PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Lights going off

Blairhoyle
01-09-2011, 21:29
I don't know how often this happens but I've noticed it least twice or three times.

the traffic, tick and wireless lights go solid blue then then they go off, the traffic light when flashes green for about 20 seconds, then the wireless light comes on (green) then the tick light comes on (green) then followed by the traffic light going blue and everything works fine after that.

any idea what's going here? is the superhub updating or something?

speeds still seem to be ok as well (on the 50 meg).

thenry
01-09-2011, 21:34
The superhubs rebooting itself. common fault running R26 firmware. The new R30 firmware is currently being tested and should be released soon.

Do you use wireless devices to connect to the superhub ?

Blairhoyle
01-09-2011, 21:45
The superhubs rebooting itself. common fault running R26 firmware. The new R30 firmware is currently being tested and should be released soon.

Do you use wireless devices to connect to the superhub ?

my wife does on her laptop.

I use a wired connection on my computer.

does rebooting it cause my speeds to drop or anything?

thenry
01-09-2011, 21:57
No, its the firmware thats really bugged causing drop outs and reboots.

grabs your wifes laptop :erm: unless you've got a wireless card within your desktop.

download inSIDDer > http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Run it and look at the list (networks should start appearing) > note the channel numbers, they should be within a range of 1-13 > your looking for an unused channel number.

do the following on your desktop

go to 192.168.0.1 via your web browser
Login
Advanced Settings
Left hand side under Setup > click on Wireless Settings
change the channel to one thats not used in your area
change 802.11 mode: to 145
and apply

Blairhoyle
01-09-2011, 22:00
No, its the firmware thats really bugged causing drop outs and reboots.

grabs your wifes laptop :erm: unless you've got a wireless card within your desktop.

download inSIDDer > http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Run it and look at the list (networks should start appearing) > note the channel numbers, they should be within a range of 1-13 > your looking for an unused channel number.

do the following on your desktop

Login
Advanced Settings
change the channel to one thats not used in your area
change 802.11 mode: to 145
and apply

what does that do mate?

I don't really want to mess around with things that I really don't know much about.

thenry
01-09-2011, 22:04
It will stop the SuperHub rebooting. You could do the above, completely up to you dude or put up with the SuperHub rebooting until the new firmware is released.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

sorry mate. your on 50Mb I didn't notice.

Have you got the wireless adapter that VM should of given you ?

Blairhoyle
01-09-2011, 22:08
It will stop the SuperHub rebooting. You could do the above, completely up to you dude or put up with the SuperHub rebooting until the new firmware is released.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

sorry mate. your on 50Mb I didn't notice.

Have you got the wireless adapter that VM should of given you ?

wireless adapter?

I only got the superhub.

when is the new release due?

thenry
01-09-2011, 22:12
You should of got a wireless adapter with your 50Mb install.

I don't know mate, no one does the normal soon is repeatedly said. We've waited a long time for the buggy firmware to be fixed... members on here have over grown beards, one member now looks like a wizard.

Blairhoyle
01-09-2011, 22:14
You should of got a wireless adapter with your 50Mb install.

I don't know mate, no one does the normal soon is repeatedly said. We've waited a long time for the buggy firmware to be fixed... members on here have over grown beards, one member now looks like a wizard.

haha.

what does the wireless adapter look like?

I just thought it was built into the hub.

thenry
01-09-2011, 22:21
The SuperHub is a modem/router all built in that can operate in wireless modes 2.4GHz and 5GHz. With your 50Mb, you get a free wireless adapter which can operate in 2.4GHz mode and 5GHz. Not many people use 5GHz so the easiest thing would be setting up your SuperHub in 5GHz mode and setting up the adapter on your wifes laptop so you can surf in 5GHz mode which shouldn't cause you too many problems as 2.4GHz is causing.

This is the adapter is "stick" like with the USB connector, its black.. should be anyway.

I get the sense I'm giving you an ear bashing, sorry if I am.

Blairhoyle
01-09-2011, 22:23
The SuperHub is a modem/router all built in that can operate in wireless modes 2.4GHz and 5GHz. With your 50Mb, you get a free wireless adapter which can operate in 2.4GHz mode and 5GHz. Not many people use 5GHz so the easiest thing would be setting your SuperHub in 5GHz mode and setting up the adapter on wifes laptop so you can run without too many problems.

This is the adapter is "stick" like with the USB connector, its black.. should be anyway.

I get the sense I'm giving you an ear bashing, sorry if I am.

if the wireless adaptor looks like a USB stick then certainly did not get one when I got everything installed.

I'm 2.4HGz at the moment

Channel is 11 and 2nd channel 7

802.11 Mode is up to 300Mbps whatever that means

:erm:

thenry
01-09-2011, 22:28
Apologies for not making sense, I was going to post up a link to the adapter but explained instead :dozey:

You could try setting the mode to 145. Regarding channels, you need to see what channels other networks are using in your area to know which unused one to use. If two people are using the same channel, it can conflict, normally this causes a slight issue (major to geeks) but the R26 SuperHub throws a fit and reboots.

Blairhoyle
01-09-2011, 22:34
Apologies for not making sense, I was going to post up a link to the adapter but explained instead :dozey:

You could try setting the mode to 145. Regarding channels, you need to see what channels other networks are using in your area to know which unused one to use. If two people are using the same channel, it can conflict, normally this causes a slight issue (major to geeks) but the R26 SuperHub throws a fit and reboots.

so when the new updates are rolled out does the Hub update automatically or do I get a new hub?

sorry for all the questions, I'm a new customer to Virgin and still trying to understanding things.

After the situation in Scotland recently (think there was a problem at the Edinburgh exchange - I live in Falkirk) it sort of dented my confidence slightly in it.

thenry
01-09-2011, 22:37
No you wont need a new SuperHub, the firmware will automatically update.

No need to apologize, we're here to help. If anything I feel guilty for giving you an ear bashing about the SuperHub insanity. The things a schizo running the R26 firmware.

Theres a thread within this sub forum about that issue.

Blairhoyle
01-09-2011, 22:42
No you wont need a new SuperHub, the firmware will automatically update.

No need to apologize, we're here to help. If anything I feel guilty for giving you an ear bashing about the SuperHub insanity. The things a schizo running the R26 firmware.

Theres a thread within this sub forum about that issue.

To be honest I have had much issues in the last few weeks, I never switch the hub off, I usually sit up until the early hours watching live streams and it never cuts out (touch wood) just these occasional reboots.

hopefully I get the R30 update soon then if this is going to solve any wee tweaks.

thanks for the response, I save this page, last thing I want to do though is start messing around with the settings of the hub in case I make a mistake and then have to phone those dreaded call centres to sort it out.

I'll keep my eye on it in the meantime and see what plays out, if it happens again I might have to come back for advise.

thenry
01-09-2011, 22:53
Check out this sub forum VM Internet Services for knowledge on the R30 firmware, theres alot on it. You can also keep an eye on the VM community forum.

By the way your entitled to that free adapter, call 150 during the day and speak to someone over here.

Regarding 5GHz setup for future reference,

Login
Advanced Settings
Change 802.11N Band: 5GHz
Change the channel to 36, 40, 44 or 48
change 802.11 mode: 300
and apply

Plug the USB adapter into your wifes laptop, pop up installer should appear, install it then connect using the same method as you did before.

issues > http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=245781&RELATED_ARTICLE_CLICK=1&RELATED_ARTICLE_NAME=Why%20am%20I%20seeing%20an%20 error%20about%20an%20'unsupported%20wireless%20ada pter'?

Blairhoyle
04-09-2011, 20:03

hey mate, happened again today, the super hub reset back to its factory name and I couldn't get a wireless connection on the wifes laptop or the phone, so I switched the mode to 145 and it has now reconnected.

question though, is this likely to keep happening?

does moving from 300 to 145 affect speeds or access etc?

thenry
04-09-2011, 20:09
theres too many bugs and leaks in R26 so yeah until R30 is released to all SuperHubs.

You need to run inSSIDer to see what channels are not being used in your area.

Or

Get on the phone to VM 150/151 and get them to send you the adapter you should of got for free. The USB adapter is 5GHz compatible so you can set the SH to run wireless in 5GHz mode which should isolate your network from all the other networks in your area.
Your phone may not connect when running 5GHz.

Blairhoyle
04-09-2011, 20:14
theres too many bugs and leaks in R26 so yeah until R30 is released to all SuperHubs.

Or

Get on the phone to VM 150/151 and get them to send you the adapter you should of got for free. The USB adapter is 5GHz compatible so you can set the SH to run wireless in 5GHz mode which should isolate your network from all the other networks in your area.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33680894-wireless-issue-non-connection.html

Here is the problem I got today.

do I need to go to inSSIDer and download that thing?

I just logged into my super hub and changed the mode and it reconnected.

thenry
04-09-2011, 20:19
Running in 145 mode does seem to help but theres issues you need to concur using the instructions in this thread. Read through it again, its pretty straight forward dude don't be afraid.

adzzzbatch
04-09-2011, 20:22

Or

Or you can run command prompt and type.

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

to see what other networks are on.

Blairhoyle
04-09-2011, 20:23
Running in 145 mode does seem to help but theres issues you need to concur using the instructions in this thread. Read through it again, its pretty straight forward dude don't be afraid.

do I need to do this from my wife laptop?

can I then shift the mode back to 300?

thenry
04-09-2011, 20:33
do I need to do this from my wife laptop?

can I then shift the mode back to 300?

Yes, run the tool, inSIDDer from your wifes laptop. She has a wireless chip within it so it'll detect all networks in your area and tell you what channels are in use. Run the program, install, open, once open in the top right corner it'll say start, click it. If it says stop then don't and wait for all the networks to appear.

If you find a decent channel not in use then yeah you could try 300 again but it wont be perfect. The SuperHub running R26 goes insane when it conflicts with another network, it shouldn't but its buggy, leaky.. useless.

Not many people use 5GHz networks so if your looking for a problem free network running R26 then I'd advise you to get that free adapter from VM and use the 5GHz option on the SH.

inSIDDer > any channels from 1-13 are on 2.4GHz. Anything above is 5GHz.

Blairhoyle
04-09-2011, 20:41
Yes, run the tool, inSIDDer from your wifes laptop. She has a wireless chip within it so it'll detect all networks in your area and tell you what channels are in use. Run the program, install, open, once open in the top right corner it'll say start, click it. If it says stop then don't and wait for all the networks to appear.

If you find a decent channel not in use then yeah you could try 300 again but it wont be perfect. The SuperHub running R26 goes insane when it conflicts with another network, it shouldn't but its buggy, leaky.. useless.

Not many people use 5GHz networks so if your looking for a problem free network running R26 then I'd advise you to get that free adapter from VM and use the 5GHz option on the SH.

inSIDDer > any channels from 1-13 are on 2.4GHz. Anything above is 5GHz.

I'm downloading just now I have left it on 2.4GHz

will report back.

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

jesus mate, when I shift it back to 300 it keeps coming up that connections are available then it says no connections are available.

looks like I'll need to shift it back to 145 mode instead