PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance calls!

Daz/Teeside
31-08-2011, 16:11
Hi for the last 18mths I have been plagued with nuisance/cold calls. They always as for the same person(s) Mr Ward or a Miss Lisa Ward, neither of which have ever lived at my address?
I have registered with TPS and tried the nice polite approach but still get approx 6 calls a week, that is considerably less than a few months ago but still very annoying.
I have now resorted to blasting an air horn down the phone at them which is amusing but sometimes the call is after 9pm and disturbs the rest of the household.
Any ideas how I can stop these ignorant people from ringing my number?

Thanks.

jtaylor06
31-08-2011, 16:55
Hi Daz

Did you manage to take the number?
And have they mentioned anything about TVs?

Thanks
Jordan

Taf
31-08-2011, 17:46
I had a similar situation after NTL gave me the number of a debtor they cut off.

It took ages to convince the callers that I am in no way connected with the debtor who lived the other side of the city.

Kymmy
31-08-2011, 18:58
Sounds like debt collection agencies.. Have you tried talking and explaining the situation to them instead of just saying "that person doesn't live here" just that most once they believe you will stop calling.

Daz/Teeside
01-09-2011, 09:32
First of all I have just realised I posted this in mobile phone and not landline....DOH!

jtaylor06 yes asked what make my tv was???? with held number!

kymmy yes I have tried every approach posiible but as soon as you engage in conversation they just talk over the top and won't listen.

It's not always the same nationality anything from English, Indian to Chinese and all with hold their numbers.

Like I said this has gone on for coming up 2yrs so believe me when I say I have tried every approach, I have.

AndyCambs
01-09-2011, 09:49
I'm plagued by international calls too - even though I am signed up on Telephone Preference service. And it's ALWAYS just as you are sitting down for a meal.

I even had an unsolicited sales call on my second number which is, and always has been ex-directory.

nomadking
01-09-2011, 09:52
Marketing surveys are not covered by the TPS.
TPS FAQs (http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/faq.html)
Will registering on the TPS stop market research calls?
No, market research calls are not covered in the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 therefore companies conducting these types of calls are still allowed to call a TPS registered number. If you do not want to receive such calls, inform the caller to remove your details from their call lists.

AndyCambs
01-09-2011, 09:55
Marketing surveys are not covered by the TPS.
TPS FAQs (http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/faq.html)

Nor regretfully do they cover calls from the Indian sub-continent which are no even marketing surveys.

Kymmy
01-09-2011, 10:01
Thread now moved to the landline section (please just PM any member of the team in future for such a request)

Daz/Teeside
01-09-2011, 10:16
Thread now moved to the landline section (please just PM any member of the team in future for such a request)

Thanks thought I was doing the correct thing and not bothering the team.

Peter_
01-09-2011, 10:27
Below are a couple of routes you can pursue.

Privacy and Electronic Communications – when and how to complain (http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx)

Silent Call Guard (http://www.ukdatait.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgAddNumber.cgi)

Get rid of all sorts of unwelcome caller quickly and politely! (http://www.truecall.co.uk/acatalog/trueCallShop.html)

AndyCalling
03-09-2011, 00:41
Another point, the air horn won't work as you would like. The phone at the other end is not going to suddenly turn into a nightclub speaker system and deafen them. It will remain a phone with the same amp and speaker as before, and will remain the same volume. Just put the phone down or talk to them. Or report them to TPS. If they are UK based they can be fined (though I believe it is rare for a company to actually get fined, they will probably back down once TPS get involved). You might try warning them that you will report them if they call again, first, that may be enough.

Wild Oscar
08-09-2011, 13:14
Easiest way to deal with these people is use an answerphone!

They'll soon stop pestering you ... works for me anyway!

Digital Fanatic
08-09-2011, 13:40
Easiest way to deal with these people is use an answerphone!

They'll soon stop pestering you ... works for me anyway!

Yeah, screen your calls. They soon get bored :)

the alternative would be a free number change from VM.

arcimedes
08-09-2011, 14:48
Combine it with caller ID. Then you can chose to pick up the call or let the answerphone take it. Not sure if they do now but BT used to give you free caller ID if you registered with TPS through their site. Works even if you're already registered. ;)

The trouble with this is that too many people who call us withold their ID and if we dont answer the call they dont leave a message and I cant train my wife to ignore calls:D

If she did then they would soon learn either to leave a message or not withhold their number. I am seroiysly thining of truecall or something like it.

Peter_
08-09-2011, 16:42
The trouble with this is that too many people who call us withold their ID and if we dont answer the call they dont leave a message and I cant train my wife to ignore calls:D

If she did then they would soon learn either to leave a message or not withhold their number. I am seroiysly thining of truecall or something like it.
I am sure that Digital Fanatic has a Trucall device and he says that it is brilliant.

FairyFairy
08-09-2011, 16:52
I had enormous fun with a nuisance call ... the number was odd .... so I said 'hello' in a (what I thought) was a foreign accent .... and it was the nice man (also foreign) wanting to fix my computer!!!! I'm telling him I'm in my own in the house and that I daren't touch a computer ... and he is trying to persuade me that he can talk me through all I need to do .... I bet he could!!! My accent is swinging wildy from one sort of accent to a bit of Welsh (I think) and back to whatever.

I was so creased up I could hardly talk.

Even hubby came in to see what on earth was going on.

It went on for ages ... and I could imagine the very nice man was wondering what script to use ..... but he continued for ages and ages!!!

Best laugh I've had for ages .... I must do it again

Digital Fanatic
08-09-2011, 17:12
I am sure that Digital Fanatic has a Trucall device and he says that it is brilliant.

Yes, I couldn't live without it! We NEVER get any cold calls or nuisance calls, TruCall deals with them :)

Daz/Teeside
09-09-2011, 09:36
Like I said I have tried being polite, talking to them and telling them they will be reported, already registered with TPS but to no avail. Their numbers are with held so don't see how I can report them anyway.
Free number change is of course an option but so much hassle getting everything changed and why because I am getting calls I don't want? Truecall looks good but at a cost and as we currently pay enough for utilities don't understand why Virgin can't offer a soultion,

Peter_
09-09-2011, 09:51
Like I said I have tried being polite, talking to them and telling them they will be reported, already registered with TPS but to no avail. Their numbers are with held so don't see how I can report them anyway.
Free number change is of course an option but so much hassle getting everything changed and why because I am getting calls I don't want? Truecall looks good but at a cost and as we currently pay enough for utilities don't understand why Virgin can't offer a soultion,
The is no way to stop these calls as they are based overseas and do not transmit there number even BT cannot stop these calls.

The only solution are the ones given above.

arcimedes
09-09-2011, 10:49
The is no way to stop these calls as they are based overseas and do not transmit there number even BT cannot stop these calls.

The only solution are the ones given above.

There is no reason why Virgin couldnt offer a service like truecall though whether I would trust them to be competent to do it is a good question;)

Also how much would they have to charge and how much take up would there be?

Digital Fanatic
09-09-2011, 11:06
There is no reason why Virgin couldnt offer a service like truecall though whether I would trust them to be competent to do it is a good question;)

TrueCall is a one-off purchase of the unit (about £80 - £100) , then if you want to use the web portal to manage calls it's a small yearly charge for access (I think last time I looked was about £11?).

If Virgin Media did it, then they'd have to be a reseller of the unit as it's not on the Switch (Exchange) it's all in the unit.

Check a demo HERE (http://www.truecall.co.uk/)

Peter_
09-09-2011, 12:38

As the is already a seller in the marketplace and very competent by all reviews why not just go with them.

Daz/Teeside
09-09-2011, 13:16
TrueCall is a one-off purchase of the unit (about £80 - £100) , then if you want to use the web portal to manage calls it's a small yearly charge for access (I think last time I looked was about £11?).

If Virgin Media did it, then they'd have to be a reseller of the unit as it's not on the Switch (Exchange) it's all in the unit.

Check a demo HERE (http://www.truecall.co.uk/)

More money as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like we don't pay enough.

Surely Virgin could/should be doing something to help with customers complaints. The service we are paying for has just gone up, granted along with most things but why can't they provide a system to stop these calls. Call rejection from with held numbers, caller ID.

arcimedes
09-09-2011, 14:28
Surely Virgin could/should be doing something to help with customers complaints. The service we are paying for has just gone up, granted along with most things but why can't they provide a system to stop these calls. Call rejection from with held numbers, caller ID.

You can subscribe to have withheld numbers rejected which is OK if friends and companies will leave a message which they often dont.

Hugh
09-09-2011, 14:35
As arcimedes says, you can subscribe to "Anonymous Caller Rejection (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller)" at £2.55 per month, but that also means that any friends or family who don't show their number using 141 (number withheld) or 1470 (permanent number withheld) won't get thru, so won't even be able to leave a message.

Peter_
09-09-2011, 15:59

Not really as many services and companies pay to still get past anonymous call reject so that will not happen and as these calls you want to stop emanate from overseas they cannot be regulated or stopped by any UK telecoms provider.

Try looking on BT forums and you will see the same questions asked over these calls, you can do something about it by using an answerphone to answer every call and you will know which calls to answer.

Digital Fanatic
09-09-2011, 17:18

VM provide you with a 'phoneline, it's up to you if you want to screen calls or purchase something like TrueCall.

No provider can stop all of the incomming calls, as Masque says, they can get around most things.