PDA

View Full Version : 50M Downstream channels

Firmsky
31-08-2011, 10:28
Hello,

My Internet had to be rebooted this morning and upon looking at my modem pages it all kicked off around 0500hrs this morning.

However after the reboot all is working and back to 50/5 speed and no issues.

However my downstream channels have gone from 3 to 4. Occasionally I use to get a ghost 4th downstream channel but this time it's definitely there.

Can anybody confirm why this is? Is it the network being upgraded for 100Mbps in my area?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

General Maximus
31-08-2011, 11:29
probably, 50mbit ran on 4 channels in some areas and 3 in others. If you had 100mbit and kept your vmng300 you would defo need to run 4 channels and if they gave you a not superhub, that has the ability to run on 8 channels

Firmsky
31-08-2011, 11:48
probably, 50mbit ran on 4 channels in some areas and 3 in others. If you had 100mbit and kept your vmng300 you would defo need to run 4 channels and if they gave you a not superhub, that has the ability to run on 8 channels

I've had 50Mbps for ages now and it's always been 3 downstream channels with no problems so I was aware some areas ran with 3 and some with 4. Was just wondering why Ipswich has been changed to 4.

Thankfully I do have vmng300 however over the last couple of weeks my Sam knows kit has been picking up a small percentage of packet loss at peak times. I'll keep an eye on it now I have four downstream channels.

qasdfdsaq
31-08-2011, 17:52
All areas are being upgraded to between 5 and 8 - though to get 5 you have to have 4 first...

kwikbreaks
31-08-2011, 18:13
Hmmm...

Sounds like it might be worth using the hub again even if only as a modem then once that happens.

qasdfdsaq
31-08-2011, 21:06
Meh, VM will just use it as an excuse to push oversubscription even further.

Sephiroth
02-09-2011, 20:34
You went up to 4 channels because VM have put the new Cisco Line Cards (MC3GX60V) into the UBR. These replace the old MC20X20vs.

This is indeed preparation for 100 meg (but don't read a short timescale into this), but more to the point, it is a significant increase in capacity.

Nedkelly
02-09-2011, 22:24
You could tell which kit a area had by the down streams 3 for cisco 4 for Motorola :)

Firmsky
03-09-2011, 17:58
You went up to 4 channels because VM have put the new Cisco Line Cards (MC3GX60V) into the UBR. These replace the old MC20X20vs.

This is indeed preparation for 100 meg (but don't read a short timescale into this), but more to the point, it is a significant increase in capacity.

Thanks for that Seph, I think Ipswich is scheduled for 100 meg for December but I'll take that with a pinch of salt as our upload increase was put back from the original planned date. However as with these things the unexpected can always happen so totally appreciate Virgin Media's problem with providing dates and being able to stick to them!

Thanks once again Seph.

Ignitionnet
03-09-2011, 23:23
You could tell which kit a area had by the down streams 3 for cisco 4 for Motorola :)

You can tell by CMTS MAC in event logs :)

horseman
04-09-2011, 10:21
You can tell by CMTS MAC in event logs :)
eg 00:21:d8 = Cisco
eg 00:30:b8 = RiverDelta(aka Motorola)?
> http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/

kwikbreaks
04-09-2011, 10:57
Thanks for the handy site.

Another Cisco from my event log - 00:06:2A

Apparently my VMNG300 uses a Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co., Ltd. component.

Peter_
04-09-2011, 11:08
That is who manufactures Ambit.

I use that site every day in work.

Firmsky
04-09-2011, 11:16
Thanks for the handy site.

Another Cisco from my event log - 00:06:2A

Thanks Tony for the link, same for me as kwikbreaks with my Ambit modem, 00:24:c4 = Cisco and now on 4 downstream channels.

Firmsky
06-09-2011, 17:51
My net was off again this morning, rebooted and I still have 4 DS channels however my upload has changed to mini slot size 1. Sam knows now shows my upload is struggling to get above 3.75. I know Seph had this problem in the past. Since the upload upgrade we have been on mini slot size 4 and were prior to the upgrade and always hit 5Mbps as shown on my Sam Knows data.

Any body have any idea what/why this has happened.

There is a service ticket listed for my area stating my broadband is down but for me it isn't, it is very flakey though. I got disconnected from Xbox live earlier for no reason.

General Maximus
06-09-2011, 19:32
even though your BB might be up, if the ticket is still live they will still be fixing the fault so keep your fingers crossed

Sephiroth
06-09-2011, 20:36
I reckon they're frigging around with your CMTS, setting stuff up and yet again putting up the wrong configuration data into the TFTP server. This means that you're misconfigured and only get partial upload speed.

Firmsky
06-09-2011, 21:03
Thanks to you both for taking the time to answer, thankfully I can handle a flakey connection for the next day or two and hopefully it'll be sorted before I have to complain. I have raised the issue on their main forums, I'll await their response in reply to the incorrect mini slot size.

Firmsky
07-09-2011, 11:04
The ticket is not live anymore, they're are no known problems with my broadband!

Apart from Mini Slot Size 1 restricting my upload speed!

I just rang the 50meg team as I'm off today and knew I'd get a uk person, they've stated my upload upgrade has obviously ran into problems and I'm obviously not fully upgraded yet.?

I've had the increased speed for 2 months, my configuration pages show 5 meg upload?

Am I being fobbed off?

Here is my VM forum page in case you wanted to look at modem stats

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/3-75-Upload/m-p/704497/highlight/false#M73266

Update

I've just rung again as I knew I had been fobbed off and spoke with Ste in the Liverpool office 50meg team, he had never heard of the mini slot size problem but was very good and researched the relevant posts on the VM forum and found all the info I had told him which was posted by Seph. He then spoke to 2nd line support who confirmed my UBR is currently going through a lot of maintenance which does explain the 3 to 4 DS channels etc but this work is stated to finish tomorrow 8/9/11 which he hopes will mean the mini slot is picked up as it's obviously a known issue to VM engineers by now. If not I've got to ring back in or let my post in the VM forums to be picked up. Ste was a credit to VM and helped with my call rather than offer BS and fob the problem off. It's a shame VM has a select few who are useless in CS, really does lose VM customers and they need to realise this. BT infinity is in my area from Jan 2012 and once it is the next time I get treated badly by VM if the money is right with BT I'll be off.

General Maximus
07-09-2011, 13:35
yeah, that os the shame with VM, I think service quality and reliability with regards to line speed and uptime as a whole is great (talking about BB) but as soon as you have to ring them up about something it all goes down the pan.

Your power levels look fine btw

Firmsky
08-09-2011, 15:22
yeah, that os the shame with VM, I think service quality and reliability with regards to line speed and uptime as a whole is great (talking about BB) but as soon as you have to ring them up about something it all goes down the pan.

Your power levels look fine btw

Thanks for confirming my power levels, from my own knowledge I thought they were well within spec.

Well I can confirm my broadband is still showing as ok according to my service status page, I have nothing in my modem log to show any work has taken place and my mini slot size is still 1 meaning my upload is still slower than normal. Hopefully this work will be completed by tomorrow morning as I was quoted today for the fix.

Firmsky
09-09-2011, 07:52
Another night has passed and still on mini slot size 1, I hope the CS rep wasn't BS me!

General Maximus
09-09-2011, 08:36
probably

Firmsky
09-09-2011, 09:14
probably

That's what I am starting to think, I really can't do with phoning their CS again in the hope that I get through to someone who actually knows what they're doing. I hate having to go through the same story again and again! Or do I just leave my post in the forum to be answered? I know Seph's was sorted by the forums.

Peter_
09-09-2011, 09:53
probably
Do not paint everyone with the same brush.:erm::mad:

Firmsky
09-09-2011, 10:12
Do not paint everyone with the same brush.:erm::mad:

Masque if your in today could you check IP1 for any maintenance work please? I appreciate not all CS are the same, but it is frustrating with it being so hit and miss and having to repeat the story again and again.

Host cpc1-ipsw1-2-0-cust98.7-4.cable.virginmedia.com

Many thanks for your help regardless.

Peter_
09-09-2011, 10:17
Masque if your in today could you check IP1 for any maintenance work please? I appreciate not all CS are the same, but it is frustrating with it being so hit and miss and having to repeat the story again and again.

Host cpc1-ipsw1-2-0-cust98.7-4.cable.virginmedia.com

Many thanks for your help regardless.
It is my rest day today, I offer my help freely on here and I do find sweeping statements annoying, we are technical support agents not customer service agents as they are two very different jobs to say the least.

We do not have the relevant tools to check via your host name, only the likes of Nopanic have that access.

Firmsky
09-09-2011, 10:21
It is my rest day today, I offer my help freely on here and I do find sweeping statements annoying, we are technical support agents not customer service agents as they are two very different jobs to say the least.

We do not have the relevant tools to check via your host name, only the likes of Nopanic have that access.

I can appreciate it to be annoying and I hope my comments haven't annoyed you in any way, I for one appreciate the time you and your colleagues invest in this forum in your own time.

Sephiroth
09-09-2011, 10:27
On the VM forum, once it's picked up by a tech, it does get sorted, as you've observed.

The underlying cause of misconfiguration hasn't been rectified and I find that disturbing knowing some of the control procedures in force at Virgin media.

Firmsky
09-09-2011, 10:29
On the VM forum, once it's picked up by a tech, it does get sorted, as you've observed.

The underlying cause of misconfiguration hasn't been rectified and I find that disturbing knowing some of the control procedures in force at Virgin media.

Thanks for confirming Seph, I'll await further instruction from the Tech's on the VM forum.

Peter_
09-09-2011, 10:38
I can appreciate it to be annoying and I hope my comments haven't annoyed you in any way, I for one appreciate the time you and your colleagues invest in this forum in your own time.
I know that just sometimes we having sweeping statements that encompass everyone.

qasdfdsaq
10-09-2011, 00:37

Still? This has been an ongoing issue since the rollout started almost a year ago!

Then again, so has the Superhub.

Firmsky
10-09-2011, 09:02
Still no reply and still on mini slot size 1.

Seph I noticed yours was fixed before you got a reply, I wonder if mine will be the same.

Sephiroth
10-09-2011, 09:17
Firmsky,

There were other cases too on the VM forum. All the peops had to do was wait for someone to get round to fixing the configuration file concerned.

It does seem to me that there is something missing from their configuration management procedures and I find that surprising.

Firmsky
10-09-2011, 09:39
Firmsky,

There were other cases too on the VM forum. All the peops had to do was wait for someone to get round to fixing the configuration file concerned.

It does seem to me that there is something missing from their configuration management procedures and I find that surprising.

Like you say it is alarming, considering this has occurred before it is surprising it is still happening. I'll keep you posted on the outcome of this.

Thanks for your continued interest in this thread.

Firmsky
11-09-2011, 14:38
Had a reply and is as follows..

Hi Adamipswich,
Sorry to hear you have been having toruble with your upload speeds.
I have checked your part of the network and can confirm that it is able to acheive 5Mb uploads.
Thankyou for posting your ping test and modem information.
The ping test shows no issues, and everything looks OK with your modem re: power levels etc.
You are correct when you say that your minislot size should be 4.
I have passed this information to our Networks team ref: F001732648
thanks
Di
Diane Smith
Help & Support Forum Team

So just got to wait for the fix now, my Mrs uploads lots of photos so until it does I'll keep getting it in the neck!!

General Maximus
11-09-2011, 21:05
nice one dude, i am well chuffed for you that they have

1) replied
2) admitted there is a problem
3) know what to do to fix the problem and are fixing it

Firmsky
11-09-2011, 21:07
T4 error in my log now, can someone remind me what they are?

Still got mini slot size 1 and now had this....

Sun Sep 11 18:22:45 2011 Sun Sep 11 18:22:45 2011 Warning (5) Lost MDD Timeout;
Sun Sep 11 18:23:17 2011 Sun Sep 11 18:23:17 2011 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out

Think the time is out by an hour.

Sephiroth
11-09-2011, 21:22
Was that during a reboot/reset? Partial logs don't help. I'm afraid.

T3 ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )
The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also raise the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem's power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request.

T4 ( Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received )
The cable modem did not received a station maintenance opportunity in which to transmit a Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) message within the T4 timeout period (30 to 35 seconds). The cable modem is resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. Typically, this indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service, but if the problem persists, check for possible service outages or maintenance activity on this particular headend system. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R04.0, Ranging Request.

Firmsky
11-09-2011, 21:52
Was that during a reboot/reset? Partial logs don't help. I'm afraid.

T3 ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )
The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also raise the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem's power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request.

T4 ( Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received )
The cable modem did not received a station maintenance opportunity in which to transmit a Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) message within the T4 timeout period (30 to 35 seconds). The cable modem is resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. Typically, this indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service, but if the problem persists, check for possible service outages or maintenance activity on this particular headend system. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R04.0, Ranging Request.

It was through neither Seph, was watching tv and when I checked my logs found it.

Since my modem reset Wed 7/9 this is the full log, not much help I'm afraid...

Still got mini slot size 1 and now had this....

Wed Sep 7 10:39:13 2011 Wed Sep 7 11:23:28 2011 Warning (5) MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=0 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC
Sat Sep 10 07:43:54 2011 Sat Sep 10 07:43:54 2011 Notice (6) DHCP Renew
Sun Sep 11 18:22:45 2011 Sun Sep 11 18:22:45 2011 Warning (5) Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=
Sun Sep 11 18:23:17 2011 Sun Sep 11 18:23:17 2011 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Sorry was checking log on my iPad so didn't see it fully the T4 timeout was followed by a MIMO event.

Sephiroth
11-09-2011, 22:25
From Brady Volpe:

3. MAC Domain Descriptor (MDD)MDD messages are periodically transmitted on all Downstream Channel(s) of DOCSIS 3.0 CMTSs. The MDD message contains the Downstream Channel ID of the Primary Downstream Channel for the CMTS sending the MDD message. The value of the MDD occurs when a cable modem locks onto a non-primary capable downstream channel, the cable modem will read the MDD and know immediately where to tune to in order to lock on to the Primary Downstream Channel. The MDD can also be used for load balancing cable modems in a DOCSIS 3.0 network. The MDD also contains additional information for the cable modem, such as available downstream channels, available upstream channels, upstream frequency range and more.

That's why I asked if there was a modem reset involved. You do have a downstream problem too, it seems.

Firmsky
12-09-2011, 09:01
So is it just a case of monitoring the whole thing Seph? Obviously over on the official forums they say nothing is wrong with my connection?

This also seems to have started since the introduction of the four Downstream Channels.

Sephiroth
12-09-2011, 09:55
I couldn't glean any negativity on VM's part in your thread over there. Do you actually have a problem apart from the still stunted upsload speed?

If you had these MDD entries coming up all the time, then you'd be having problems and your modem stats woud reflect this. Oddly, I'm going through an unusual period of surprising stability!

I say surprising - because it's always been stable and good with fairly nominal power levels and albeit slightly low SNR (with attendant consequences for correctables). Last week, my DS power plunged from -1 to -7 and my SNR from 34 - 35 to 27-31. Apart from a spate of MDD Timeouts on the day and low speeds of 1 Mbps, I now am back to 50 meg and still have the rubbish SNR and -7 dBmv downstream power. Event logs are clear.

Since we have the same modem, and your event log isn't clogged with these events, what trouble are you having now that VM is denying?

Firmsky
12-09-2011, 10:02
Have a bit of occasional packet loss but apart from the reduced upstream nothing is wrong Seph. It was more out of curiosity and as I've suffered a awful connection in the past I suppose I'm just dreading it occurring again. With that I suppose I'm just trying to preempt any faults but by the sounds of it apart from the reduced upstream I do not have a fault as the T4 hardly ever happens and has only been since going onto 4 DS channels.

Probably just a case of me over worrying due to previous experience.

Sephiroth
12-09-2011, 10:18
When you went to 4 channels, they put you on the latest generation line card, which increased handling capacity at the UBR. So I don't expect there to be much going wrong your way other than you seem to have the same upstream issue as I did when we switched to the new line card.

As I say, shoddy configuration management (in the ITIL sense) by VM.

Firmsky
12-09-2011, 10:20
When you went to 4 channels, they put you on the latest generation line card, which increased handling capacity at the UBR. So I don't expect there to be much going wrong your way other than you seem to have the same upstream issue as I did when we switched to the new line card.

As I say, shoddy configuration management (in the ITIL sense) by VM.

Thanks for your helpful assistance as always Seph, I'll keep this thread updated when the mini slot size is restored to size 4.

Firmsky
13-09-2011, 16:54
Mini slot size 4 is back and so is 5Mbps upload! Thanks for your help guys.

olisun
16-09-2011, 14:40
Today my configuration changed from 3 ds channels to 4 ds channels

Locked QAM256 222 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz -0.4 dBmV 42.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 221 55616000 Kbits/sec 291000000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 42.4 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 223 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 42.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 224 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 42.2 dB Hybrid

General Maximus
16-09-2011, 17:29
looks good

crazyronnie
17-09-2011, 11:19
I'm in NW London and like @olisun my config has changed from 3 downstream channels to 4. 100mb coming soon...?

qasdfdsaq
17-09-2011, 11:25
"Soon" (™)

Sephiroth
17-09-2011, 12:13
You can click the CONNECTION link art the top of the page; note from the hostname what your CMTS is (e.g. RDNG21). Then go to this link (http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/100Mb%20rollout%2014%2009%2011.pdf) on the VM site anf match the CMTS (e.g. RDNG) in the list to see when 100 meg is planned for your area.

We went to 4 DS channels in July and the RDNG area is still "being planned". Reason for delay is that it isn't just a case of adding capacity to the VM end (through bigger/better line cards); it's also about replacing tired lasers in the street, at the VM end, adding fibre channels and so on. Areas which have had cable TV the longest will be the last to get 100 meg, I reckon.

crazyronnie
17-09-2011, 13:50
@sephiroth looks like i'll be waiting around for ages. I've had cable tv since it came to my area back in the 90's when it was called Videotron, then Cable and Wireless, NTL and now Virgin Media.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

actually just checked the link you put in your post. Looks like its coming in Dec/11 so not long at all then. :)

Sephiroth
17-09-2011, 14:04
And RDNG is still being planned. Good luck with yours.

qasdfdsaq
17-09-2011, 14:15
The latest upload speed upgrades PDF does have final dates for all "being planned" areas:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/Schedule_13_09_11.pdf

Use as a rough guide, I'd expect 100mb to come 2-4 months after the dates in that PDF - that seems to be the rough figure for the lag between the two based on the current dates.. Certainly nowhere will be getting 100mb before upstream upgrades are complete, that's for sure.

My educated guess on RDNG would be Dec-11 or Jan-12

My area, being estimated Mar-12 for upstream upgrades, I'm expecting 100mb no sooner than April/May-12

General Maximus
17-09-2011, 18:17
edit: I can't read

qasdfdsaq
17-09-2011, 18:46
Neither can I :(

General Maximus
17-09-2011, 21:41
i thought it was an updated list for 100mbit rollout, not the upload speeds

Sephiroth
17-09-2011, 22:11
i thought it was an updated list for 100mbit rollout, not the upload speeds

Yep - I was referring to 100 Mb. I'm sure that won't leave Qas b*tter, tw*sted and eternally negat*ve - LOL double LOL.

General Maximus
17-09-2011, 22:31
in which case I am going to continue my rant of Lincoln "still being planned" all year.

sollp
17-09-2011, 22:41
Mini slot size 4 is back and so is 5Mbps upload! Thanks for your help guys.

You will be getting 100Mb very soon

Nedkelly
17-09-2011, 22:43
Lincoln was planned was planned for Sept but put back due to some kit not being delivered :D Lot of work planned for Oct and Nov

qasdfdsaq
18-09-2011, 01:22
Yep - I was referring to 100 Mb. I'm sure that won't leave Qas b*tter, tw*sted and eternally negat*ve - LOL double LOL.
Excuse me?

General Maximus
18-09-2011, 08:34
Lincoln was planned was planned for Sept but put back due to some kit not being delivered :D Lot of work planned for Oct and Nov

thanks dude, I have got something to look forward to now. Traditionally they have done us in November over the years. I can remember getting a xmas card donkeys years ago from them saying i had a free speed upgrade from 3mbit to 10mbit :)

Sephiroth
18-09-2011, 09:04
Excuse me?
This rather unsavoury comment (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35301233-post251.html).

Firmsky
18-09-2011, 11:03
Ipswich has been pushed from Dec 11 to Nov 11, still unsure if I'm going to upgrade from 50 to 100. Wouldn't want the Superhub and still think the price hike from 50-100 is a bit too much! Decisions decisions!

Ignitionnet
18-09-2011, 11:10
A tenner or 40% more cash for double the speed and immunity from the Detrimental Usage Policy for now - a no brainer to me!

qasdfdsaq
18-09-2011, 11:34
This rather unsavoury comment (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35301233-post251.html).
Haha, that made me giggle :)

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

immunity from the Detrimental Usage Policy for now
Ahem, immunity from STM yes, the AUP/FUP/DUP? Heh ermm.... If anything a single user being able to use up over 50% of the local node's bandwidth is more likely to get them hit by DUP.

Ignitionnet
18-09-2011, 11:55
Ahem, immunity from STM yes, the AUP/FUP/DUP? Heh ermm.... If anything a single user being able to use up over 50% of the local node's bandwidth is more likely to get them hit by DUP.

Nope 100Mb customers aren't covered by the DUP at this time.

Stop thinking about the technical side of things and think about the marketing.

http://community.virginmedia.com/virgin/board/message?board.id=100_mb&message.id=4790#M4790

Currently 100Mbps service users are not subject to the detrimental use policy. Although there are no plans to change this, I cannot guarantee that this won't happen at some time in the future.

Firmsky
18-09-2011, 13:41
A tenner or 40% more cash for double the speed and immunity from the Detrimental Usage Policy for now - a no brainer to me!

Well that's why I use this forum! I had presumed the conditions would be the same as the 50Mbps, in that case like you say a tenner is a no brainer! Hopefully I'll be able to keep my current modem though.

Sephiroth
18-09-2011, 15:37

If those effers downloading like mad at 100 meg were on my segment were doing so without a FUP in place, I would raise Cain with VM. What would be fair about a FUP that would be unfair to 50 meg users?

Ignitionnet
18-09-2011, 16:03
If those effers downloading like mad at 100 meg were on my segment were doing so without a FUP in place, I would raise Cain with VM. What would be fair about a FUP that would be unfair to 50 meg users?

Stop thinking about the technical side of things and think about the marketing.

qasdfdsaq
18-09-2011, 19:46
Well then, looks like I'll definately be taking up 100mb alongside my profile 17 FTTC. Simply so I can cane the hell out of it - I get about 15TB/month allowance on the far end and nothing to use it on!

Chrysalis
20-09-2011, 04:33
Seems some areas are getting 100mbit turned on without any work been done on downstream capacity.

Aside from my upload congestion I seem to be suffering from downstream congestion now, I had 4 channels prior to 100mbit availability and still 4 after. Also only 2 upstream channels when some other areas have 3 upstream channels.

How do VM decide who merits extra channels? I ask because I know that an area with both less customers and utilisation then mine has 3 upstreams and 5 downstreams.