PDA

View Full Version : Wireless help needed

auldyin
26-08-2011, 20:58
I have no need for blistering internet speeds and am perfectly happy with my Virgin Media 10Mb BB.
BB input is remote from my computer and I have used, without issue, Netgear Homeplug to send signals round the house.

I have received a present of an iPad and now I need a wireless connection....

I was thinking that Virgin Superhub or Super Hub Wireless Router would do the trick and I could use this with the Netgear Homeplug System solving the problem of needing wireless and wired connections.

Trouble is I have very little knowledge of this technology and would appreciate any input on the problem as outlined.

Cheers

thenry
26-08-2011, 21:17
You could buy an N router? Or upgrade to 30Mb and get the Superhub as you say.

Whats your current bill like? We could have a look whether upgrading would be worth it if your paying close to what 30Mb would cost. Post up all charges for each service as well as discounts, and additional charges such as paper bills etc.... basically everything.

danielf
26-08-2011, 22:23
You can get homeplug wireless units as well. Basically, they work like regular homeplug units, but instead of plugging a device into the homeplug, the homeplug sets up a wireless network, and devices can connect to that.

As an example: Solwise 85mbps unit (http://www.amazon.co.uk/HomePlug-Ethernet-Adapter-embedded-Wireless/dp/B000JP7A86) with 54mbps wireless from Amazon.

Going superhub/wireless N/whatever may ultimately suit the OP better, but this option would integrate with the current setup nicely and at relatively low cost.

qasdfdsaq
26-08-2011, 22:26
If you just want a wireless router, buy one yourself. The "Superhub" costs over seven times as much as a decent wireless router and has a decent share of wireless faults.

General Maximus
27-08-2011, 08:51
If you just want a wireless router, buy one yourself. The "Superhub" costs over seven times as much as a decent wireless router and has a decent share of wireless faults.

ditto the above dude, don't get the superhub thinking it is going to be your saviour (even if they give it to you for free), it simply isn't designed to work with mixed technologies and provide advanced features. You want to look at getting yourself a decent router as a stand alone or to work along side a home plug kit or anything else

auldyin
27-08-2011, 11:07
Thanks guys.........much to think about here

Cheers

Hugh
27-08-2011, 12:12
Just to balance it out, we have a "superhub" downstairs, and a Linksys wireless router upstairs, and our smartphones, laptops, and tablets link to them both happily over wifi.