PDA

View Full Version : Criminal damage

Kymmy
25-08-2011, 14:29
Just had 13 hours of downtime on the internet connection due to Criminal Damage of one of the street cabinets..

Site rules prevents me from stating what I think of these people..

Personally I'd like to electrify the outside of the cabinets then put them behind a thin layer of insulation so anyone breaking in will get ZAPPED!!!..

Any other suggestions??

Digital Fanatic
25-08-2011, 14:34
Just had 13 hours of downtime on the internet connection due to Criminal Damage of one of the street cabinets..

Site rules prevents me from stating what I think of these people..

Personally I'd like to electrify the outside of the cabinets then put them behind a thin layer of insulation so anyone breaking in will get ZAPPED!!!..

Any other suggestions??

Yes, I like that idea! :D

thenry
25-08-2011, 14:50
**** will always find a way to **** things up!

chris9991
25-08-2011, 15:13
Do you think VM would refund anything if your broadband is down for more than a day?

Kymmy
25-08-2011, 15:16
I'd seriously moan at them if it was down for more than a day.. Especially having the webserver on the connection which obviously needs to be on 24/7, but it's never been off for more than a day and always had all faults fixed in roughly 12 hours

chris9991
25-08-2011, 15:21
I've never had a problem last more than a day either but, we've been without internet since last night and the fault reference says to be fixed by half twelve tomorrow lunchtime. I can use my backup mobile broadband but I just wondered if they might make an allowance even though there isn't an SLA

Peter_
25-08-2011, 15:26
Do you think VM would refund anything if your broadband is down for more than a day?
If your broadband is off for more than 24 hours you can be credited for loss of service, so if you pay £30 a month for the service and it is off for 2 days then you would get £2 credit.

kwikbreaks
25-08-2011, 15:38
Considering there is no SLA as far as I know that is pretty good IMO.

chris9991
25-08-2011, 15:38
If your broadband is off for more than 24 hours you can be credited for loss of service, so if you pay £30 a month for the service and it is off for 2 days then you would get £2 credit.
Is that automatic?

Peter_
25-08-2011, 15:41
Is that automatic?
No you need to ring in as with most companies of this type, some people ring in and say they have been offline for a week and as the is nothing in the notes we cannot credit them as we have no record of it.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

As per above.

Nicosia
25-08-2011, 20:38
Good thing that Vm where quick to fix the problem.. probably felt like a lifetime but 13 hours is good for VM. hopefully this type of thing wont happen again and the little babies who tried to get attention will find something else to do instead of acting like 2 year olds

v0id
25-08-2011, 21:36
A luminous dye should spray whomever forces a cabinet open, ..make it an extremely smelly luminous dye too.

thenry
25-08-2011, 21:41
A luminous dye should spray whomever forces a cabinet open, ..make it an extremely smelly luminous dye too.

brilliant but what about eyes? health and safety will screw it up.

Kymmy
25-08-2011, 21:45
brilliant but what about eyes? health and safety will screw it up.

We'd test it first on H&S inspectors to make sure that we add enough acid to the dyed water so it doesn't permanently blind them.

:rofl:

scaseman
25-08-2011, 22:12

My 50Mb broadband was off last night and when I rang the call centre I was told I will get an £8.00 credit and as it was only down as far as I am aware for about 2hrs I call that a fair result.

Peter_
25-08-2011, 22:16
My 50Mb broadband was off last night and when I rang the call centre I was told I will get an £8.00 credit and as it was only down as far as I am aware for about 2hrs I call that a fair result.
I expect it was offshore as we get monitored and pulled if we credit such silly amounts now.

scaseman
25-08-2011, 22:24
I expect it was offshore as we get monitored and pulled if we credit such silly amounts now.

Well as it was past midnight when I rang it probably was offshore. But it was a very helpful operator who spoke good English so I was extremely satisfied with the handling of my call.

Peter_
25-08-2011, 22:27
Well as it was past midnight when I rang it probably was offshore. But it was a very helpful operator who spoke good English so I was extremely satisfied with the handling of my call.
Especially the £8 part I bet.:D

scaseman
25-08-2011, 22:30
Well that did help but I was not expecting it. I just thought people should know that the offshore experience is not all bad. Maybe that can be put down to the time of night as they are probably not so busy after midnight.

qasdfdsaq
25-08-2011, 23:48
Haha, offshore better than onshore. Who'd have thunk it. Owait...

Nopanic
26-08-2011, 07:04

? Course there's and SLA, there's an SLA for any fault ..

Well that did help but I was not expecting it. I just thought people should know that the offshore experience is not all bad. Maybe that can be put down to the time of night as they are probably not so busy after midnight.

This will start an anti on shore thread :D

Kymmy
26-08-2011, 08:41
Off-shore is irrelevant to this thread, please stick to the topic

Nopanic
26-08-2011, 10:02
The relevance of a reply is surely based on the posters interpretation of the topic. I read this as a loss of service, which then moved to costs, SLAs and the way agents deal with these calls. All very valid routes for a topic to follow.

If topics are to be strictly adhered to, in that anything remotely moving away from the original posters thoughts, then I'm afraid I will no longer be posting here. I don't post on the VM forums because their lack of ability to understand humour or allow any kind of friendly discussion beyond a technical fault.

Now I don't expect to come in here and talk about football, but if I wish to make a point off the back of another comment or inject (my attempt) at humour, then I will do just that. Should you see this as a problem, then the only real response I have is to ban me, as I won't be changing my posting style for anyone.

That said, I have not and do not plan on derailing topics..

Kymmy
26-08-2011, 10:26
Please reread the OP then ;) It was purely about the cabinet damage and what pain we can inflict on these people.. Unfortunately desires to inflict pain on Off-Shore tech support is nothing to do with the myself especially as I can never phone off-shore tech support ;)

Peter_
26-08-2011, 10:43
Please reread the OP then ;) It was purely about the cabinet damage and what pain we can inflict on these people.. Unfortunately desires to inflict pain on Off-Shore tech support is nothing to do with the myself especially as I can never phone off-shore tech support ;)

Offshore was mentioned in relation to them giving silly amounts of credit, £8 for a 2 hour outage.:D

theoldbill
26-08-2011, 15:20
Especially having the webserver on the connection which obviously needs to be on 24/7...

Why would you even want to run a webserver at home, on a business connection or otherwise? The cheap cost of hosting these days would surely be less than the 400w (typical) in electricity to run the base unit alone, then you've got the paltry 1meg upstream on VM Business?

A flurry of users would effectively DOS the connection quite easily.

Do you operate it simply for research/pleasure/interest purposes rather than commercial?

Just curious :angel:

Kymmy
26-08-2011, 16:38
You would be correct if the server was just being used for the web.. but it's not

Nopanic
26-08-2011, 19:31
Please keep to the thread topic, criminal damage :)

kwikbreaks
26-08-2011, 19:46
Priceless :)

Hugh
26-08-2011, 20:04
Please keep to the thread topic, criminal damage :)
Please leave modding to the Mods....

Kymmy
26-08-2011, 20:08
Gonna spank someone soon...or tie you to the local cabinet and wait until the youths pass by again :D

Nopanic
26-08-2011, 21:16
Please leave modding to the Mods....

I'd have nor the tool or the inclination to moderate these forums .. I just posted my opinion.

Gonna spank someone soon...or tie you to the local cabinet and wait until the youths pass by again :D

Kinky ..

qasdfdsaq
26-08-2011, 22:16
Why would you even want to run a webserver at home, on a business connection or otherwise? The cheap cost of hosting these days would surely be less than the 400w (typical) in electricity to run the base unit alone, then you've got the paltry 1meg upstream on VM Business?
400w? That's insane. My overclocked gaming PC with high-end graphics doesn't even use 400w.

My server uses about 20w (though that's efficiency optimized). My non-efficiency optimized server running 17 drives doesn't even break 200.

theoldbill
27-08-2011, 09:10
400w? That's insane. My overclocked gaming PC with high-end graphics doesn't even use 400w.

My server uses about 20w (though that's efficiency optimized). My non-efficiency optimized server running 17 drives doesn't even break 200.

I just used a 1.5A power rating for a minimal desktop base as a guess (gives 360w). Unless he's running rack based kit off his 1meg connection, who knows.

Hugh
27-08-2011, 09:17
She.....

Kymmy
27-08-2011, 09:21
From one of the popular power calculators it works out at 34W, even with 50% efficiency that's only 60-70w. As stated though the server is used for a lot more than a simple web server.

BTW... Who were you referring to about the rack based kit and 1Mb connection??

theoldbill
27-08-2011, 09:42
From one of the popular power calculators it works out at 34W, even with 50% efficiency that's only 60-70w. As stated though the server is used for a lot more than a simple web server.

BTW... Who were you referring to about the rack based kit and 1Mb connection??

I was referring to yourself, although I was corrected when I (wrongly) assumed you were male :cool:

Sorry about that.

Kymmy
27-08-2011, 09:54
You've assumed quite a lot and not yet got anything right ;)

theoldbill
27-08-2011, 10:04
You've assumed quite a lot and not yet got anything right ;)

That's the thing see.

Please show me a server/base with a rating of 0.15A to give the 34w you said. You may be mistaken. It's Amps x Volts = Watts.

I didn't recall being wrong with the bandwidth assumption. I've seen the sites you're running off of there. Very graphical. You complain about VM going down (and cursing vandals) yet it doesn't seem very smart to host what you're doing on that connection in the first place. Lots of graphics and a few 'tools' commonly available would bog that connection in seconds.

So, you also run email on there, perhaps a vpn gateway for your lan. That just makes the bandwidth situation even tighter.

I'd sooner pay a tenner a month to a web host, but hey. That's only the point I was trying to make at the very start, it would solve your downtime problem and give you *100 more bandwidth. Each to their own.

Kymmy
27-08-2011, 10:13
Hey what would I know.. I'm only an ex certified component level repair tech (amongst other things) ;)

You're wrong again on both your VPN and EMAIL assumptions

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Anything else you wish to ASSUME ??

theoldbill
27-08-2011, 10:14
Hey what would I know.. I'm only an ex certified component level repair tech (amongst other things) ;)

You're wrong again on both your VPN and EMAIL assumptions

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh I get it. "I run a server at home so I can brag to others to impress". I understand it perfectly now.

Admin edit (Chris): less of the personal digs please

Kymmy
27-08-2011, 10:21
Nope, more a case of the server is private to the business and none of your business as to what else it does besides what information I've already given out

theoldbill
27-08-2011, 10:26
All the external domains route straight to the connection. The new definition of 'private'?

Chris
27-08-2011, 11:38
Everybody please stick to the subject and leave out the personal digs, or else infractions will ensue.

Kymmy
27-08-2011, 18:23
A flurry of users would effectively DOS the connection quite easily.

Strange that as I've just had such an attempt from a plusnet IP 31.185.142.135 to do exactly that.. Happy to say that my protection adds any flood to the firewall and then reports the IP to the abuse address of the relevant ISP

I can tell you one thing though :D they made my adsense profits rise :D