PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Outage 21st Aug

a01020304
21-08-2011, 21:33
Does anyone know what caused the 15 hour outage in Manchester on 21st August?
It seems all services was out not just BB

qasdfdsaq
22-08-2011, 09:17
I don't know specifics, but I know Manchester has been having problems lately.

Hardware fault in the core network a week or so ago, was due to be replaced in the last few days. We also had an outage in Edinburgh last night, but it was only for an hour or so. Since Edinburgh was also affected by the earlier Manchester problems, I suspect it might have something to do with the recent core network issues - perhaps the repairs being put it in.

I'm sure one of the VM staff can tell us with a bit more certainty what's going on.

Digital Fanatic
22-08-2011, 18:01
Does anyone know what caused the 15 hour outage in Manchester on 21st August?
It seems all services was out not just BB

It was a fibre break... not sure what caused it, but it took a while with engineers working from 4am until late into that night repulling and re-splicing fibres.

Hope everything is ok for you now.

theoldbill
22-08-2011, 19:34
Telford had a 28hr outage Friday... low SNR on one of the upstream cables? How great this 'advanced' fibre optic network is that my modem was offline but I could've run next door to lend my neighbours and hooked it up and got service, seeing as he is on a different CMTS. For an outage that long why can't they (temporarily) re-distribute CPE's to other accessible CMTS's rather than leave them offline for so long?

Peter_
22-08-2011, 19:38
It was a fibre break... not sure what caused it, but it took a while with engineers working from 4am until late into that night repulling and re-splicing fibres.

Hope everything is ok for you now.
That will have been a fun fix for them.:erm:

Digital Fanatic
23-08-2011, 17:53
Telford had a 28hr outage Friday... low SNR on one of the upstream cables? How great this 'advanced' fibre optic network is that my modem was offline but I could've run next door to lend my neighbours and hooked it up and got service, seeing as he is on a different CMTS. For an outage that long why can't they (temporarily) re-distribute CPE's to other accessible CMTS's rather than leave them offline for so long?

That could cause utilisation issues for other customers, thus causing even more inconvenience for more customers! SNR takes some time to track down TBH. Usually a 2 man job as they have to track down the cause of the noise. Not a quick fix, it's why the tickets are P3 and P4's... It's not uncommon for the noise to be caused by a dodgy hook-up somewhere.

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

That will have been a fun fix for them.:erm:

I know.. long day/night for them :(