PDA

View Full Version : 50M RE: I want to upgrade with a bought VMNG300...

RomeroTech
21-08-2011, 12:26
Just a quickie RE: VMNG300...

I'm currently a 20Mb customer with the Ambit256 modem. I want to upgrade to 50Mb but don't want a Superhub.

I have a D-Link DIR-655 Router which i believe after having read many threads now on this forum is far superior to the NetGear Superhub and i get 4 gigabit ports plus superb wireless coverage all over the house and down to the far end of my garden a fair way away.

In the past every time i've bought NetGear i've been seriously disappointed hence why i've now been using D-Link for a number of years. It just works, and works very well.

I have the chance to purchase a VMNG300 in good condition. I want to know if Virgin will hook me up to 50Mb with a bought VMNG300. I don't wnat the Superhub and will stick to 20Mb for the foreseable or until the Subperhub equipment gets better and the router part is as good as my D-Link.

Any thoughts on this or has anyone done this successfully??

Cheers, Francis.

ETA: Typo

qasdfdsaq
21-08-2011, 13:10
No.

Mick Fisher
21-08-2011, 13:23
You will not be able to get it activated.

Untill R29 sees the light of day here is a guide (http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub) to using another router with the superhub.

RomeroTech
21-08-2011, 13:37
You will not be able to get it activated.

Untill R29 sees the light of day here is a guide (http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub) to using another router with the superhub.

That's a shame. Anyhow, a thousand thanks for your help.

RomeroTech
21-08-2011, 17:29
Sorry, a couple more questions about the superhub.

Can the WiFi radio can be switched right off?
Is there a DMZ on the Superhub, or can security be turned right off in order to just run it as a modem effectively?

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

ETA: Just had a look on the link you posted and it's answered both those questions. thanks for the link.

Cheers, Francis

Mick Fisher
21-08-2011, 19:33
You're welcome. :)