PDA

View Full Version : Superhub biggest mistake of my life :( superhub problems

baz007
19-08-2011, 19:18
hi all,
i am really unhappy with virgin media. Upgraded my bb to 30mb about 3 months ago, was fine for first few weeks then it just started resetting itself got a replacement and its doing the exact same thing, losing connection resetting itself but speed is fine. Can someone advice what to do because the engineer came over today and the waste of space said everything looks fine and changed some setting, he looked like he cudn't be arsed! I have called virgin like a million times and think my next call will be to disconnect because this is a joke! nothing so super about the 'superhub'. Please look at the stats below:

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 299000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 232 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 4.8 dBmV 44.7 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 233 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 4.8 dBmV 44.1 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 234 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 4.0 dBmV 43.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 235 55616000 Kbits/sec 291000000 Hz 5.0 dBmV 44.6 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 3 20480 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 48.7 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 3338
Max Traffic Rate 33330000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 3337
Max Traffic Rate 3333000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

Peter_
19-08-2011, 19:19
I have the following settings in my own Superhub below.

Click http://192.168.0.1/ the username is admin and the password is changeme, then click on the small red writing that says advanced settings then look down the left hand side and then click on Services then ensure that only IPSEC passthrough and PPTP passthrough are ticked click apply and close the page.

baz007
19-08-2011, 19:23
tried that, think i saw a similar post on the virgin media forums! cheers anyway

thenry
19-08-2011, 20:08
Have you had a response on the VM community forum from one of the staff members?

jb66
19-08-2011, 20:49
Maybe the tech ran out of magic dust to transform the superhub into a half decent router. What did you want him to do? Develop new firmware there and then?

Mick Fisher
19-08-2011, 21:06
Try setting the 802.11 mode to 145mbps and make sure the wireless band is 2.4ghz

Then optomise your channel manually as auto don't seem to work. Install InSider to help with channel optomisation.

If you are lucky, maybe you will finish up with a semi useable device.

baz007
19-08-2011, 22:01
@jb66 i am paying for a service not charity so i do want what i am paying for!
A member of staff did not get back to me on the forums. Thanks for them settings i will try what you said and see how it goes over night

jb66
19-08-2011, 22:12
until virgin release r29 firmware your stuck with a hub that reboots like mine did

Peter_
19-08-2011, 22:15
tried that, think i saw a similar post on the virgin media forums! cheers anyway
I know I probably posted it.

If you have your own router try this http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hub

baz007
20-08-2011, 16:22
UPDATE!!

I changed the mbs to the minimum which is 54mbs and channel to 11 and so far it has not restarted. Been on for over 22 hours and not 1 reset but the down side is that when i checked the speed on bbmax and speed test it was at a maximum of 25mb download so not getting my usual 31mb. Can anyone advise me of what to do? cheers

kwikbreaks
20-08-2011, 16:33
Top speed you'll see from 802.11g / 54G is around the 22Mbps mark so you've got the choice of higher speeds and reboots or slower speeds and better stability. Mine used to be reasonable on 145 but did still screw up about once a week. Your only alternative to those is to use ethernet or your own router alongside the Superhub. Hopefully the new firmware will be sorting this out when it eventually gets released.

baz007
20-08-2011, 17:00
Thanks for the reply @kwikbreaks. I will like to get better speed wirelessly. Can you please explain how i can use my own wireless router with the superhub? will this disable the inbuilt wireless service in the superhub as this can not handle the speeds? I just have a netgear WGT624v3 is this okay? cheers

Mick Fisher
20-08-2011, 19:13
UPDATE!!

I changed the mbs to the minimum which is 54mbs and channel to 11 and so far it has not restarted. Been on for over 22 hours and not 1 reset but the down side is that when i checked the speed on bbmax and speed test it was at a maximum of 25mb download so not getting my usual 31mb. Can anyone advise me of what to do? cheers
Didn't you try 145mbps? I get 33meg downloads most of the time from sites that can support it.

baz007
20-08-2011, 19:24
@mick fisher i did try 145mbps but it reset twice in 4-5 hours. The connection is more stable now at 54mbps. Do you know why it can't handle the 145mbps or 300mbps? just a superhub problem?

darren.b
20-08-2011, 21:51
<removed>

Nopanic
21-08-2011, 00:15
Just to comment on the title, if this really is the biggest mistake of your life, you're doing very well ..

People seem to lose context .. its an Internet connection .. its annoying yes, you should get what you pay for yes, but don't let it ruin your life .. :)

Mick Fisher
21-08-2011, 12:38
@mick fisher i did try 145mbps but it reset twice in 4-5 hours. The connection is more stable now at 54mbps.
By reset do you mean reboot?

My superhub on 145mbps can reboot itself up to 11 times a day (that I have noticed). I find that easier to put up with than dropping to 54mbps and losing speed.

300mbps just doesn't seem to work at all.

5ghz appears to work but nothing can connect, so I have my doubts if anything is actually transmitting.

@Do you know why it can't handle the 145mbps or 300mbps? just a superhub problem?
It's a superhub problem. The superhubs wireless is just underpowered and unstable. As a wireless router it is not fit for purpose.

Hugh
21-08-2011, 12:59
Mick, just to caveat your last statement, "The superhubs wireless is just underpowered and unstable" - for some people....

I have every sympathy for those having problems, but not everyone is having wifi issues, so sweeping all-inclusive statements, from either side of the discussion, don't help, IMHO.

Mick Fisher
21-08-2011, 13:16
Mick, just to caveat your last statement, "The superhubs wireless is just underpowered and unstable" - for some people....

I have every sympathy for those having problems, but not everyone is having wifi issues, so sweeping all-inclusive statements, from either side of the discussion, don't help, IMHO.
OK Hugh, that'sfair enough. :)

However although I do believe my original statement to be true I was and can only speak of my personal experience so my amended statement is "From my own experience and despite hearsay to the contrary I sincerely believe the superhubs wireless is just underpowered and unstable"

The fact that there is a thread over at Help & Support that claims that under R29 the wireless coverage and stability is much improved would seem to back up my assertion.

Skie
21-08-2011, 13:59
Even BT have been making light of the superhubs wifi performance with some of their adverts for the latest homehub.

Mick Fisher
21-08-2011, 19:18
Even BT have been making light of the superhubs wifi performance with some of their adverts for the latest homehub.
Hmmm....And what version are they on ATM, is it the third.

If what my daughter says is true, and I have no reason to doubt her, stones and glass houses come to mind.

qasdfdsaq
27-08-2011, 02:02
3 Homehubs in 5 years vs. VirginMedia's 3 in one year. Nice comparison there.

photodude
27-08-2011, 09:25
Well my hub works fine :-) Had a bit of an issue with Belkin devices, but that was easily fixed by uninstalling the Belkin network utility. As for BT Hub comparison, my sister had 4 in 9 months. And BT billing is a million times worse than VM's!!! VM bill correction = 1 month to put things right. My old BT bill = 10 years, and still they can't get it right. In fact they got it so wrong, that in 2001 their county court claim failed against me, hence I've been with VM ever since LOL.

qasdfdsaq
28-08-2011, 12:37
VM bill correction took 4 months for me, and they still never got it right either. All down to personal experience really.

zekeisaszekedoes
28-08-2011, 13:19
Heh. Three months later, same old hits, different day. No fix in sight. So glad I didn't hold out for the "firmware will fix everything" claim from VM...

Nopanic
28-08-2011, 18:03
VM bill correction took 4 months for me, and they still never got it right either. All down to personal experience really.

Maybe they knew if they did it right first time you would have nothing to complain about, the forums would close down and the other users would be lost .. very considerate VM ..

qasdfdsaq
28-08-2011, 20:18
I'm not sure how billing has anything to do with forums closing down, especially since billing queries aren't dealt with over the forums anyway?

AndyCalling
28-08-2011, 21:13
Just to comment on the title, if this really is the biggest mistake of your life, you're doing very well ..

People seem to lose context .. its an Internet connection .. its annoying yes, you should get what you pay for yes, but don't let it ruin your life .. :)

But the context is exactly what you're missing here. People have both a physical life and a digital life these days. Having your internet connection fail is the digital equivalent of being evicted form your home IRL. Sure, a person's physical life is more important and the effects are not comparable, but the reaction of a person's online persona on forums and whatnot is going to be very similar to the reaction of a person losing their home IRL. During every day life, that same person will be no more than irritated by their internet problems and will pay them little mind whilst getting on with life. Their online persona, however, will be obsessed with their internet difficulties because such problems directly impact that persona. They are thrown into sharp focus when the person is sitting in front of their computer.

Of course, if a persons internet connection works but is giving trouble it is still comparable, just proportionately so. If the roof leaks and the windows are broken it's not a nice place to live in. It plays on your mind somewhat.

So, keep in mind that the context applies to both the fault and the customer. Not just the fault.

Peter_
28-08-2011, 21:22
I have a Nokia N8 which gives me access to the internet in the event my home connection fails or I am out and about, so get a smart phone with broadband and you are sorted.

Plus it will work on any open network.:D

AndyCalling
28-08-2011, 21:29
I have a Nokia N8 which gives me access to the internet in the event my home connection fails or I am out and about, so get a smart phone with broadband and you are sorted.

Plus it will work on any open network.:D

I have a smart phone too. I also have a tent. Going camping is fun and a convienient way to travel and enjoy the summer, but I wouldn't want to swap my flat for a tent full time. It would be somewhat alarming to find myself in that position.

Hugh
28-08-2011, 22:08
I don't think Masque was proposing it as a full time replacement - he in fact stated "in the event my home connection fails".

AndyCalling
28-08-2011, 23:13
I don't think Masque was proposing it as a full time replacement - he in fact stated "in the event my home connection fails".

Indeed. By 'full time' I kinda meant 'indefinately and without alternative'. Poorly chosen words on my part. I apologise. The point is that it would be worrying in the extreme and would result in some fairly focussed behaviour from me should I find myself with only a tent to rely on for housing. Until the situation was resolved, it would consume my world.

In the digital world, one's online persona is similarly positioned when dealing with internet connection crises and from an online perspective the customer will appear to act accordingly. This does not mean their every waking minute is internet-connection obsessed.

Context applies. That is my point. It still stands and needs to be considered when dealing online with customers experiencing faults. Exclamations about connection problems like such in the title of this thread are, contextually, not as overly dramatic as they would appear IRL. In context they are entirely justified.

Hugh
29-08-2011, 00:26
Or perhaps you are over-analysing/dramatising the situation, and applying post-hoc justification.......;)

qasdfdsaq
29-08-2011, 00:39
No, he's right, to some extent. Such situations will affect some more than others - me for example, I have three (!) backup internet connections as if/when my internet fails at home, I'm essentially left incapable of doing anything.

My life, while at home, is primarily focused on my computer(s) and secondarily the internet. Sure I can deal without either, but if I lacked either at home I might as well be asleep or out - since there's sod all else I can do here. If I had to do without (and, didn't have backups as most people wouldn't) then I can see the parralels of being evicted - I'd have to do everything at work/the library, which would be a pain, and the uncertainty of not knowing when I'll be able to get back again would also be stressful. Hence, in line with the epic geek I am, I have five computers, four internet connections and six smartphones just so I can stay connected come anything short of a nuke. (P.S. Anyone fancy buying an old computer, phone or three?)

Mind you, I might put it to be similar to having a water leak or power cut more than being evicted, but the effect is the same - you can't do anything useful in your home (or at least I can't) without it.

Peter_
29-08-2011, 06:12
I have a smart phone too. I also have a tent. Going camping is fun and a convienient way to travel and enjoy the summer, but I wouldn't want to swap my flat for a tent full time. It would be somewhat alarming to find myself in that position.
Exactly it is a backup nothing more but it is available almost anywhere unlike your computer.

Hugh
29-08-2011, 10:08
No, he's right, to some extent. Such situations will affect some more than others - me for example, I have three (!) backup internet connections as if/when my internet fails at home, I'm essentially left incapable of doing anything.
<snippety snip snip.......>
Mind you, I might put it to be similar to having a water leak or power cut more than being evicted, but the effect is the same - you can't do anything useful in your home (or at least I can't) without it.
I actually agree with you and andycalling in concept about the impact of losing Internet connectivity (except for the fact I do have other interests besides my computers, such as TV, DVDs, books, attending the gym, etc), as we are a fairly 'wired/wifi' house, having 3 PCs, 5 laptops, 2 tablets, 4 smartphones, iTouch, Wii, PS2, Xbox, BluRay player et al, all attached to the

However, the OP didn't post any statements like this to support your hypothesis, so the proposition is built on sand....:D

btw, do your 'backup' connections all go through the same exchange?;)

qasdfdsaq
30-08-2011, 00:13
However, the OP didn't post any statements like this to support your hypothesis, so the proposition is built on sand....:D
Just adding my opinion, possibly irrelevant to the OP's as I just respond to "new" posts as they arrive.

btw, do your 'backup' connections all go through the same exchange?;)Nope, not even the same technology (Cable, DSL, HSPA+, Wifi). Well, I'll be getting Infinity soon too :D

AndyCalling
31-08-2011, 21:07
Or perhaps you are over-analysing/dramatising the situation, and applying post-hoc justification.......;)

This is my online persona as well, remember. You need to look at my comments in that context as well. Also, I think you'll find my 'analysis' (though 'perspective' may be more apt here) quite basic considering the hugely rapid expansion and ubiquitous nature of the digital world in our society now. Even the government, almost always behind the curve on these things, now considers internet connectivity to be a basic household utility in the same league as water and heating. Indeed, the internet is economically essential for so many things these days that it often is a vital part of funding for the rest of the household bills. If anything I am under-playing the issue. I could go much (much) further.

Post-hoc? To understand something you must first study it. Especially with sociological subjects. To imply that lack of prior analysis devalues action is to deny the spontaneity and passion of life. A disappointing perspective to choose. Customers are neither business cases nor engineering projects, the justification for a human perspective is simply that it exists. The fact that the inherent post-modern spirit of the virtual world shows all such perspectives to be obvious simulacra only serves to amplify my point. In short, the customer is always right. Now that's over-analysis. :angel:

I suspect your old-fashoned view is going to die out fairly quickly. Our society is moving rapidly towards spending more and more time in the virtual world, with things like Youview about to fuel a massive jump in time spent online, and due to their above average broadband facilities VM customers are likely to be leading the way in the UK.

I don't want my digital house blown down by the broad band wolf, I'm hoping VM made mine out of bricks. Especially as a number of people seem to have encountered some rather sticky situations in the VM structure... based on a straw poll of course. :)~

Hugh
31-08-2011, 21:31
Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Sorry, initial reaction - my apologies.

"the inherent post-modern spirit of the virtual world shows all such perspectives to be obvious simulacra"...... :D

Really?

Are you the Jacques Derrida of the Internet, deconstructing Broadband connectivity?

Private Eye awaits your next post with great interest. ;)

AndyCalling
31-08-2011, 21:43
Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Sorry, initial reaction - my apologies.

"the inherent post-modern spirit of the virtual world shows all such perspectives to be obvious simulacra"...... :D

Really?

Are you the Jacques Derrida of the Internet, deconstructing Broadband connectivity?

Private Eye awaits your next post with great interest. ;)

Yep. That's a real example of over-analysis. Can you see the difference? :D~

I go with Baudrillard.

Hugh
31-08-2011, 21:44
Yes - unfortunately, it seems you cannot..;)

I read, and reacted - any analysis was subconscious, which would make deconstruction slightly difficult.

AndyCalling
31-08-2011, 21:57
Yes - unfortunately, it seems you cannot..;)

How so?

(If you can use cheap debating phrases so can I... ;))

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

I read, and reacted - any analysis was subconscious, which would make deconstruction slightly difficult.

You read and reacted by suggesting my comments were over-analysing without conscious analysis? How could you tell?

Don't tell me... simulacra? ;)~

Still, only slightly difficult. It all depends how well you know your sub(un)conscious.

Hugh
31-08-2011, 22:15
Thank you for out-pseuding me - congrats....

Anyway, you seem to be basing your analysis of my viewpoint on insufficient evidence - to wit, your statement " suspect your old-fashoned view is going to die out fairly quickly".

My views are so "old-fashioned" that I am on the European CIO Board of a well-known search engine company, am a "Trusted Tester" for a well-known search engine company, and have spoken (at conferences and round-table seminars) on Business and Consumer adoption (the reasons for and impediments to) of "The Cloud" in four European countries, and am an active member of the BillSoft "Future of Technology in Education" group.

"old fashioned" - that's what I mean by over-analysis (shaping what others said to allow you to put your interpretation forward - surely to analyse it fully you had to understand the background and reasons for the things I wrote)....;)

zekeisaszekedoes
07-09-2011, 12:40

Not necessarily. I'm in an area where I can get 100Mb from VM, my 30Mb service is fantastic yet almost all mobile phone operators have terrible 3G broadband speeds. I'm sure there are areas where cable broadband, POTS-style broadband and mobile broadband are all atrocious... more likely up north in the infamous blackout spots, often the more rural areas where the perceived lack of profit has delayed a proper fiber-optic rollout and most people are too far from the exchange to get a good service on copper phone lines if the service even exists.

My life, while at home, is primarily focused on my computer(s) and secondarily the internet. Sure I can deal without either, but if I lacked either at home I might as well be asleep or out - since there's sod all else I can do here.

Hence, in line with the epic geek I am, I have five computers, four internet connections and six smartphones just so I can stay connected come anything short of a nuke. (P.S. Anyone fancy buying an old computer, phone or three?)

Heh... all those computers and no server, eh? I would have figured a tech guy like yourself would have a NAS or something similar. I'm well prepped in case of an internet blackout: can use neighbours wireless connection at a pinch (10Mb) and if that goes I have 4TB+ of stuff ripped from my DVD collection and available to stream by various devices in the house. Barring an electrical blackout, I'm all set for entertainment, and even if the electric does go out a candle paired with a good book is a pretty nice "last resort". :D

Exactly it is a backup nothing more but it is available almost anywhere unlike your computer.

Um... pretty sure a laptop or tablet device is "available almost anywhere", especially since WiFi hotspots are becoming more popular and using a 3G phone as a portable hotspot that you or your friends portable computers can connect to is another option just starting to be utilised.

This is my online persona as well, remember. You need to look at my comments in that context as well. Also, I think you'll find my 'analysis' (though 'perspective' may be more apt here) quite basic considering the hugely rapid expansion and ubiquitous nature of the digital world in our society now. Even the government, almost always behind the curve on these things, now considers internet connectivity to be a basic household utility in the same league as water and heating. Indeed, the internet is economically essential for so many things these days that it often is a vital part of funding for the rest of the household bills. If anything I am under-playing the issue. I could go much (much) further.

Great topic for debate... the ubiquity of technology so quickly, it's wonderful and alarming at the same time. I think it gets too far when I see people walking down the street glued to their smartphones, can't bear to be out the loop for more than five seconds. Yesterday when I was outside having a smoke, some guy on a moped actually pulled over and started tweeting on his smartphone, then sped off quickly as soon as he was done. Really? I couldn't quite believe it at first: delaying a goddamn journey for something that pointless.

I love tech, have a bunch of it, but going outside is often a good opportunity to ignore all of it. What's the point of going down to the pub which is expensive as it is then having a bunch of friends all sitting around a table literally twiddling their thumbs staring at smartphones, something they could do at home or while waiting for the bus etc? I've been between mobile phone contracts for over a month now, and other than the obvious inconvenience of having to use a payphone or borrow someone elses the freedom and lack of worry of not having one with no apps constantly demanding attention is wonderful.

On another note, isn't it ridiculous the amount of pointless crap smartphones are being crammed with? LG's 3D screen, 3D camera, dual-core beast I saw advertised while watching the England vs Wales match the other night is a prime example. All that chintzy pointlessness, for a power-hungry phone which probably needs to be charged three times a day and gives you an hours talk time at best. I'd rather have fewer features and five days standby (after all how "mobile" can you be if you need to be near a charging point all the time", but I guess I'm in the minority.

Really?

Assuming you missed the joke, he was doing it to prove a point. I very much doubt he actually thinks like that though obviously I could be wrong.

And what's wrong with flashing your intellect now and then, anyway? One of my favourite uses for the internet - besides Rule Thirty-Four of course - is learning, and sharing thoughts and philosophies with intelligent people. To me, one hour of that stuff is worth one hundred or more pointlessly spanked away on Facebook doing the various stupid meaningless stuff that has become a hallmark of social networking.

My views are so "old-fashioned" that I am on the European CIO Board of a well-known search engine company, am a "Trusted Tester" for a well-known search engine company, and have spoken (at conferences and round-table seminars) on Business and Consumer adoption (the reasons for and impediments to) of "The Cloud" in four European countries, and am an active member of the BillSoft "Future of Technology in Education" group.

Ah, I see. Can't win with debate so time to flash the credentials. I don't doubt them, it's just that you shouldn't need to flout them to try and win a debate. There are plenty of highly-qualified people out there in prime positions who are just as common-sense bereft as any man on the street... I believe we call them "government". :D

By the way, out-pseuding? That's about as foolish and banal a term as "gamechanger", "taking it to the next level" and the word paradigm. Those things, they're like the "super", "mega" and "awesome to the max" of the 1980s and datestamp the era. Seriously, in 20 years people who use/have used those buzzwords are going to look as quaint as the original Miami Vice and Magnum P.I. do now, though like both of those probably not without a bit of retro charm attached. ;)

Peter_
07-09-2011, 14:54
Not necessarily. I'm in an area where I can get 100Mb from VM, my 30Mb service is fantastic yet almost all mobile phone operators have terrible 3G broadband speeds. I'm sure there are areas where cable broadband, POTS-style broadband and mobile broadband are all atrocious... more likely up north in the infamous blackout spots, often the more rural areas where the perceived lack of profit has delayed a proper fiber-optic rollout and most people are too far from the exchange to get a good service on copper phone lines if the service even exists.
And the point is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um... pretty sure a laptop or tablet device is "available almost anywhere", especially since WiFi hotspots are becoming more popular and using a 3G phone as a portable hotspot that you or your friends portable computers can connect to is another option just starting to be utilised.

My N8 fits in my pocket and I can access everything I need on anywhere the is signal or free wifi plus it has 24Gb of memory so plenty of storage for such a small device, I cannot put a tablet or laptop in my pocket.

qasdfdsaq
07-09-2011, 21:50
Heh... all those computers and no server, eh? I would have figured a tech guy like yourself would have a NAS or something similar. I'm well prepped in case of an internet blackout: can use neighbours wireless connection at a pinch (10Mb) and if that goes I have 4TB+ of stuff ripped from my DVD collection and available to stream by various devices in the house. Barring an electrical blackout, I'm all set for entertainment, and even if the electric does go out a candle paired with a good book is a pretty nice "last resort". :D

Actually I have 24TB on my server/NAS, but the NAS serves one purpose and the internet another. You can't do facebook, talking to people, multiplayer gaming, forums, or remote server administration on a NAS.

zekeisaszekedoes
18-09-2011, 16:46
My N8 fits in my pocket and I can access everything I need on anywhere the is signal or free wifi plus it has 24Gb of memory so plenty of storage for such a small device, I cannot put a tablet or laptop in my pocket.

Yeah, and I'll bet it runs that awful Symbian firmware or some recent derivative of it. :)

Remember that a term like "available almost anywhere" is very vague, so your definition is a mobile phone while mine would be something more useful like a MacBook Air. Both are highly portable, so both of us are right even though our definitions of portable vary.

Not everything is a conflict Masque, nor does every statement exist to prove a point. Some observations are just observations, and people can draw their own conclusions. Or not.

Actually I have 24TB on my server/NAS, but the NAS serves one purpose and the internet another. You can't do facebook, talking to people, multiplayer gaming, forums, or remote server administration on a NAS.

Depends on the definition of NAS, I guess. 24TB is pretty impressive though, wish I had that kind of capacity. My NAS is software RAID via Windows 7 (surprisingly good), shares via FTP/SMB and also doubles as a HTPC, but I'm stretching the definition a bit really. :)

Peter_
18-09-2011, 16:54
Remember that a term like "available almost anywhere" is very vague, so your definition is a mobile phone while mine would be something more useful like a MacBook Air. Both are highly portable, so both of us are right even though our definitions of portable vary.

If it can connect to a Virginmedia mast it has a connection on its inbuilt wifi and it can connect to any other free wifi available, so it will work more or less anywhere and it is still a lot smaller than even a Mac Air as it fits in a pocket.

I can access anything I want and even use a version of mobile office if required as for it being symbian based it does the job without any issue.