PDA

View Full Version : 50M 30MB to 50MB is an engineer visit really necessary

punkrock101
19-08-2011, 16:28
I am thinking of upgrading to 50MB have a superhub :o: Can virgin media just send the config file down to it or do I have to wait around for an engineer.

*sloman*
19-08-2011, 16:56
they can but wont.

When i went to 50 to 100 bloke came round change vmg to superhub [Mod edit] did speed test and pee'd off, left me with 5mb upload i had to reboot superhub [Mod edit]a few times and speak to 100mb team to get it sorted.

[Mod edit - unnecessary comment removed]

punkrock101
19-08-2011, 18:07
Well called them up and managed to get someone in customer services to upgrade my broadband to 50MB and all that needed to be done was me to reboot superhub [Mod Edit]. Happy days

jb66
19-08-2011, 21:54
I love those jobs, hand a dongle to the customer force the configuration file, speediest then get out the house b4 they try the superhub wifi

Mick Fisher
19-08-2011, 22:08
I love those jobs, hand a dongle to the customer force the configuration file, speediest then get out the house b4 they try the superhub wifi
:D

punkrock101
19-08-2011, 23:02

And virgin media charges £40 for that lol:D noticed that we are not allowed to say anything bad about the superhub.

v0id
19-08-2011, 23:24

Why, there's nowt wrong with the wi-fi on the superhub :confused:

Nopanic
20-08-2011, 00:46

Force the config file ?

Hugh
20-08-2011, 08:24
Nice to see professionalism and customer service in action........:erm:

Robertus
20-08-2011, 12:01

Indeed. Hopefully they don't have many like jb66. I've been nothing short of amazed with his posts on here.

Nopanic
20-08-2011, 12:19
Indeed. Hopefully they don't have many like jb66. I've been nothing short of amazed with his posts on here.

Not the most positive of posters, but you have to remember he's posting his opinions, that's not to say he's not completely professional at work ..

A bad tech is normally the easiest person to find, as customers are very strict about who comes into their house, they will report it if they don't like him ..

Nicosia
20-08-2011, 15:20
I thought the 30 to 50 jump you could do online? because i was told the same for the 30 to 50 jump but the scottish lady on the phone today told me they send you the hub and you do it yourself the 20 to 30 jump so maybe they will do the same also for the 30 to 50? but you use the same superhub if i understand correctly on the 30 and 50 connection and everything the same so i would nto see the need for an engineer also? to make sure you get full 50mbit?

jb66
20-08-2011, 18:33
And virgin media charges £40 for that lol:D noticed that we are not allowed to say anything bad about the superhub.

Yup its policy to call the hub a superhub,

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

There was a time when we provided a d-link router i'd take pleasure in showing off our wifi services to the customer, which isnt part of the install as virgin doesn't guarantee wifi speeds. Doing a wifi test now causes nothing but pain as the customer expects me to fix it which I cant.

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Hey, least I hand out a dongle ;)

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

I thought the 30 to 50 jump you could do online? because i was told the same for the 30 to 50 jump but the scottish lady on the phone today told me they send you the hub and you do it yourself the 20 to 30 jump so maybe they will do the same also for the 30 to 50? but you use the same superhub if i understand correctly on the 30 and 50 connection and everything the same so i would nto see the need for an engineer also? to make sure you get full 50mbit?

IMO it would make more sense for virgin to do it over the phone (is this not the point of the supehub) and if it doesnt work then send out a tech, but 30 to 50 should be a tech visit

Nicosia
20-08-2011, 19:31
IMO it would make more sense for virgin to do it over the phone (is this not the point of the supehub) and if it doesnt work then send out a tech, but 30 to 50 should be a tech visit

well i agree because not every one will achieve the full speeds or manage to set it up and will need a tech there and also does the tech not have to change something on the green box or do something that you cant do on your own when you go to 50mbit?

But from 20 to 30 they just send you the hub to do it yourself, its not like its hard or anything but i thought the 30 and the 50mbit connections are the same to set up and use the same hub and equipment? so really you should be able to do it yourself just plug in the hub and ring and register the mac adress.. simples :D plus it costs vm more to send out the techs to install upgrades for every house i figured was the only reaosn they are sending me the hub instead of sending a tech guy because i read here even the jump from 20 to 30 you would need a tech guy to come and install it

Nopanic
20-08-2011, 23:58

Why for 30 - 50 ?

20 - 30 is more logical, D2 to D3 .. if you can lock for 30, you've a good chance of locking for 50 .. or 100 .. :erm:

jb66
21-08-2011, 00:06
I wasn't clear, it should be a manned install as per virgin policy but I think the policy needs to be changed as 30 50 100 uses same signals so it makes sense them being office upgrades

Nopanic
21-08-2011, 01:14
Same Docsis yeah, I agree.