PDA

View Full Version : VM Router WGR614v9 update?

Daz/Teeside
19-08-2011, 14:59
Am I correct in thinking this Virgin router firmware can't be updated???

I am having problems with my connection constantly dropping and trying everything I can.

General Maximus
20-08-2011, 17:21
are you sure it is the router dropping the connection and not the modem? If your connection to the internet is dropping it is a problem between your router and the modem and your pc will still have lan connectivity. You can always try directly connecting to the modem and see if that helps and then you'll know which one is the problem. VM will replace the modem if it is at fault and if they supplied the router, they'll replace that too. I hate to say it though, any a replacement for either of them is going to be with the superhub.

Tuvoc
20-08-2011, 19:14
I hate to say it though, any a replacement for either of them is going to be with the superhub.

Is it ? If you have a 10Mb or 20Mb service, they will give you a superhub if your modem or separate router fails ?

General Maximus
20-08-2011, 19:22
i believe so, i think that is all they are chucking out now. If Masque or Ben reads this they'll be able to confirm.

Tbh though dude, in the unlikely event that the modem is fine and it is your router which is at fault, I wouldn't be rining up VM asking for a replacement router, I would cough up £40 or £50 and buy my own decent one.

Peter_
21-08-2011, 11:13
If you call in and we find that your modem has failed then we replace it like for like, which means you will receive an Ambit 256 not a hub.

If your Virginmedia supplied router fails and it is still listed on the account then we will send out a replacement D Link DIR615 wireless N router as we no longer supply the Netgear WGR614, again you would not receive a hub.

The only way that you would get a hub is if we send out a technician and he deems that the modem is at fault as they only supply hubs, a technician is only sent out when we are sure the call requires one.

Tuvoc
21-08-2011, 11:51
So if you can diagnose over the phone that the modem has failed, you put a like for like replacement in the post, but if a technician visits and finds the modem has failed, he will give out a superhub ?

Peter_
21-08-2011, 14:36
So if you can diagnose over the phone that the modem has failed, you put a like for like replacement in the post, but if a technician visits and finds the modem has failed, he will give out a superhub ?
If you get a technician he will replace your equipment with the appropriate hub for your tier of service.

General Maximus
21-08-2011, 16:34
you are sorted then dude, the ambit 256 is a great modem and i never had any probs with it. If you can get them to give you a new one of those and then treat yourself to a decent router you are laughing.

Nopanic
21-08-2011, 16:42
you are sorted then dude, the ambit 256 is a great modem and i never had any probs with it. If you can get them to give you a new one of those and then treat yourself to a decent router you are laughing.

They are pretty solid modems.

Tuvoc
21-08-2011, 18:45
Presumably the ambit 256 is what I have on my 20Mb service. If so, then yes it is brilliant. There were a few external problems in my area for the first few months, but after Virgin sorted that my service has been superb the last 2 yrs. That goes for the modem and the wireless from the Netgear WGR614v9 router. Couldn't ask for better reliability.

AndyCalling
21-08-2011, 19:19
Am I correct in thinking this Virgin router firmware can't be updated???

I am having problems with my connection constantly dropping and trying everything I can.

If it works fine with just your modem, then you can see my previous posts with regards to updating your router firmware where it is fully debated. No need to discuss that again.

That modem is great if it isn't faulty. It works well.

The router may just be showing its age, and the radio may be dying (if it's the wireless dropping). Replacement routers are cheap and easily available in supermarkets and in the highstreet.

Daz/Teeside
23-08-2011, 08:56
Thanks everyone for your help looks like a call to VM as my desk top is hard wired as is X Box and both keep loosing connection.

Kymmy
23-08-2011, 09:31
When it loses connection try going to http://192.168.100.1.. If it lets you in then the router is routing OK.. Also whilst you're there check the modem log to see if anything is being reported at the time of the dropouts.