PDA

View Full Version : Lost signal when I mixed digital and analog coax cable

Grumps
16-08-2011, 21:18
Help! I wasn't getting a good signal with my old analog coax cable. I noticed that the cable was damaged so I replaced the damaged half with an FT100 satellite cable. Now I don't get any signal at all! I connected the 2 cables with FT100 connectors (connected by a Maplin F Plug Coupler) and added the analog connector to the end of FT100 cable. I've checked all connections and they seem good to me. Any ideas what I might have done wrong? I presume that analog and digital cables can be connected without losing signal. By the way, I didn't replace the cable right through because one end was inaccessible.

MovedGoalPosts
16-08-2011, 22:34
I can't see that different cable types would be a problem. It's more likely that the junctions you have used create too much resistance, or in fact pass signal only one way, or alternatively you have a strand or two cross threaded creating a short.

Grumps
16-08-2011, 23:40
Thanks for responding Rob. It's helpful to know that the problem is not the cable mix. So it's back to checking the junctions. There's just the additional junction consisting of two F connectors and the coupler. Surely that would not create much resistance of pass the signal just one way. So by elimination it may be just the way I've fitted the connectors. I'll check this yet again tomorrow morning and let you know how I get on.

Kymmy
17-08-2011, 08:46
Could be that you've hit the analogue turn off date??

Grumps
17-08-2011, 11:50
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've now found the problem. It was the push-on connector which I fitted to the FT100 cable. It might have been a dud or I might have mis-fitted. I couldn't see any problem with my fitting. Anyway, when I refitted with a different connector all was ok. The push-on connector with the problem was unusal in that the pin had to be screwed onto the central copper core with a grub screw.