PDA

View Full Version : Right hand, left hand.

Kursk
14-08-2011, 00:48
I'm moving from a cabled to a non-cabled area soon. VM have told me that switching to their National service will cause me to lose my loyalty bonus and lose my email addy. I've been advised too to back up emails and contacts as the cable account will eventually become dormant. There will also be an imposed download limit unless I pay a good bit more than I do now for my future service.

VM have told me that their cable and non-cable services are administered as separate entities; apparently the Virgin name is the only link so the empire doesn't seem to be very joined-up at present.

Now this is not good. I'm struggling to see the incentive to remain with Virgin whom I have been with man and boy; there are quite a few options out there.

I've always been happy with my cable service and moving away will hurt. Virgin could have made it easier for me to want to remain a customer especially as I was on the cusp of getting additional services from them.

I dunno, they're missing a trick somewhere. Or should I just stfu and get on with it? :D

phileas
14-08-2011, 01:16
There is none, you'll be going on a resold adsl package akin to other isps access package(where they are unable to offer llu hbb). I suggest you phone around the major isps to see if you can get a deal on a adsl2+/phone pavkage. Remeber to read the small print though.

Nopanic
14-08-2011, 08:48
Personally, I think there are better ADSL packages out there. The comment about them being two different companies is slightly misleading. They are two different platforms supported by the same back-end teams.

Moving the email address is a problem because of the way ADSL uses authentication with the user name. Its something under review.

General Maximus
14-08-2011, 09:00
give Sky a ring dude and see if you can get phone, BB and TV with them

Peter_
14-08-2011, 09:19
We on the cable side cannot even open the ADSL accounts to see what equipment you have as we do not have the permissions required and all support is from another centre.

I do not want to be cross trained on ADSL and have to have even more screens open on my work system as it would be rather ridiculous.

Nopanic
14-08-2011, 10:38
We on the cable side cannot even open the ADSL accounts to see what equipment you have as we do not have the permissions required and all support is from another centre.

I do not want to be cross trained on ADSL and have to have even more screens open on my work system as it would be rather ridiculous.

Its not all that much different to be fair, takes a bit of Telco knowledge, which you've got anyway.

Peter_
14-08-2011, 10:44
Its not all that much different to be fair, takes a bit of Telco knowledge, which you've got anyway.
We would still require training on their setup plus they can use anything off the shelf unlike our customers, luckily Telco appears to no longer have anything to do with us.:D

Nopanic
14-08-2011, 10:58
We would still require training on their setup plus they can use anything off the shelf unlike our customers, luckily Telco appears to no longer have anything to do with us.:D

Training .. pfff :cool:

Peter_
14-08-2011, 11:18
Plus we are not in Swansea.:D

Nopanic
14-08-2011, 12:00
Plus we are not in Swansea.:D

Not sure location is important :D I'd be fighting to take work on .. not push it away ..

Ideal agent can take any take of call and deal with any kind of fault ..

Peter_
14-08-2011, 13:29
Not sure location is important :D I'd be fighting to take work on .. not push it away ..

Ideal agent can take any take of call and deal with any kind of fault ..
We do enough at present.:D

Skie
14-08-2011, 16:28
In the eyes of managers who are just looking at P&L sheets, "doing enough" is never enough.

Peter_
14-08-2011, 16:44
In the eyes of managers who are just looking at P&L sheets, "doing enough" is never enough.
ADSL is a step to far.:erm:;)

Kursk
14-08-2011, 16:53
No way will I take a pop at you guys; I admire the work you put in here. But you need to get a more effective set up. It's not good that a long time customer might leave because you can't provide services under one umbrella.

I agree that it would be a 'misleading' comment to say cable and National are 2 different companies but who said that? I referred to '2 entities' and you referred to '2 platforms'. The point is the 2 entities/platforms operate independently. They may have the same back end staff and the name Virgin as their branding but as per the title of this thread, the right hand and left hand don't seem to be working together.

Grateful to everyone for their comments. It looks like, in the absence of any incentive, I have to look at the deals provided by others.

Is that what the VM boss really wants?

Peter_
14-08-2011, 17:41
No way will I take a pop at you guys; I admire the work you put in here. But you need to get a more effective set up. It's not good that a long time customer might leave because you can't provide services under one umbrella.

I agree that it would be a 'misleading' comment to say cable and National are 2 different companies but who said that? I referred to '2 entities' and you referred to '2 platforms'. The point is the 2 entities/platforms operate independently. They may have the same back end staff and the name Virgin as their branding but as per the title of this thread, the right hand and left hand don't seem to be working together.

Grateful to everyone for their comments. It looks like, in the absence of any incentive, I have to look at the deals provided by others.

They are 2 different services that use completely different kit, one is on the Virginmedia cable network and the other uses BT's phone infrastructure, they may at some point combine but well into the network structure.

The only dealings I have with a virgin National customer is when I transfer them to the correct call centre.

If I was you I would look for the best offering in your area.

colin25
14-08-2011, 17:45
I am right handed now..was left handed :D

ferretuk
14-08-2011, 18:24
If I was you I would look for the best offering in your area.

I'd also recommend that the OP uses this opportunity to make a non-ISP specific email address their primary one so any future moves between ISPs doesn't force an address change.

Peter_
14-08-2011, 18:34
I'd also recommend that the OP uses this opportunity to make a non-ISP specific email address their primary one so any future moves between ISPs doesn't force an address change.
good sound advice.:)

Nopanic
14-08-2011, 21:53

Ok, not quite .. they run off the same network, they use the same provisioning platform and share a wide variety of subsystems and network similarities. The problem is, they were two different companies and without changing the way things work, massively expensive (customer would end up paying) the synchronization has to be done slowly.

There are many projects running to address all the issues customers report, they have this kind of thing and are trying to find sensible business solutions, that don't cost silly money.

For VM having one team, one network and one company is perfect, its something to aim for.

Kursk
15-08-2011, 09:06

Yep, already done but thanks.

Ok, not quite .. they run off the same network, they use the same provisioning platform and share a wide variety of subsystems and network similarities. The problem is, they were two different companies and without changing the way things work, massively expensive (customer would end up paying) the synchronization has to be done slowly.

There are many projects running to address all the issues customers report, they have this kind of thing and are trying to find sensible business solutions, that don't cost silly money.

For VM having one team, one network and one company is perfect, its something to aim for.

Fair enough. Please understand my frustration comes from having to move away from services that have always...erm...served me well.

Ah well, *sigh* I'll stop bleating about it :)

Nopanic
16-08-2011, 19:56
Yep, already done but thanks.

Fair enough. Please understand my frustration comes from having to move away from services that have always...erm...served me well.

Ah well, *sigh* I'll stop bleating about it :)

What does your email address end in ?

@Virgin.net or @Virginmedia.com ?

scrotnig
16-08-2011, 21:14

When I was at ntl, my training generally amounted to "here's a login..."

Nopanic
16-08-2011, 21:28
you got log ins ? spoilt ..

Kursk
17-08-2011, 02:32
What does your email address end in ?