PDA

View Full Version : Superhub superhub wifi vs dir-615 wifi

Zanny
11-08-2011, 16:33
upgraded to 50meg and got installed today.

using the virgin supplied dir615 as wireless router.

virgin engineer said no settings needed changing even though I going via the dir615. Anyway I ignored him turn off wifi on superhub and put dir615 ip into DMZ mode. hopefully so good so far :)

Question is would I be better to now leave it or put dir615 in bridge mode (which im using dd-wrt firmware ) and turn back on superhub wifi? main reason for doing it would be proper wireless n connectivity, on dir615 my wireless n devices keep being detected as wireless g :(

If it helps current setup is wired connection from pc to dir615 then long cable to other side of room plugged into superhub.

General Maximus
11-08-2011, 19:10
i think you are getting yourself in a bit of a pickle dude. Bridge mode disables the routing ability of the superhub and makes it a modem (just like your old one) which would then allow you to connect your dir615 to it and use it as you used to before (a proper router), that is all you need to do.

With regards to wireless, if the dir615 does support N i would manually configure it in the settings so it will force all of your n-enabled devices to run it. The problem you have got is that devices operating at different speeds (e.g b, g and n) your router will default to the slowest speed. Forcing N will only allow wireless N devices to connect and prevent b and g. If you are using a laptop or something which is only 54g, you can buy a wireless n adapter for a few £££ which would be worth it.

Zanny
11-08-2011, 19:34
thanks for reply I didn't realise 1 wifi g on network and whole network drops speed I thought I could operate the n at n speed and g at g speed simutaniously. Unfortunately 2 phones in house bg only so ill put ip with it.

EDIT now I think about it I could turn superhub wifi back on configure it n only and connect via that for n devices only, that would work? Would I still see the lan?

qasdfdsaq
11-08-2011, 20:37
The problem you have got is that devices operating at different speeds (e.g b, g and n) your router will default to the slowest speed.
Incorrect, each device will connect at it's own maximum speed regardless of what else is on the network.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

thanks for reply I didn't realise 1 wifi g on network and whole network drops speed
It doesn't.

Zanny
11-08-2011, 21:36
ok... :) anyway I tried the superhubs wifi but not really made a speed difference, im guessing the limiting factor is speed my phones wifi chip can cope at.

qasdfdsaq
11-08-2011, 22:36
Yeah. I'm yet to see a phone that properly supports the high speed modes of 11n. So far, the ones I've seen only ever go up to 65mbps, one channel, one stream, long guard interval. Basically the lowest top speed you can have and still technically be 'N'.

While decent laptops will go well over 150mbps with a 300mbps router, most phones won't go much above 30 or 40.

AndyCalling
11-08-2011, 22:54
With regards to wireless, if the dir615 does support N i would manually configure it in the settings so it will force all of your n-enabled devices to run it. The problem you have got is that devices operating at different speeds (e.g b, g and n) your router will default to the slowest speed. Forcing N will only allow wireless N devices to connect and prevent b and g. If you are using a laptop or something which is only 54g, you can buy a wireless n adapter for a few £££ which would be worth it.

I think this was only a problem with some (all?) G routers when a B device connected. It was true with the old Netgear WGR614 router VM used to supply.

I believe that N and G devices can work fine together on N routers at full speeds though. What happens if you connect a B device, I don't know.