PDA

View Full Version : VMB fixed IP- dhcp problem

Kymmy
10-08-2011, 12:33
Fourth time now their fixed IP DHCP system has messed up on me..

Had to do maintenance on the server last night (swapped round motherboard so I could use some faster memory.) As their system uses the MAC to assign IP's I had to de-assign the MAC and re-assign the new MAC.. That all went fine until I tried to DHCP and now it's giving me an IP from the dynamic range instead of the fixed IP.

Rang up VMB at 2am to log the fault but of course the datacentre people aren't about and the 2nd line logged it for me.. Follow-on call at 10am and no-one had looked at it yet so 2nd line has emailed the datacentre. 12:30pm and I'm still waiting with a web server that's defunct until that IP works.

Anyone know what's going wrong? As I said this has happened three times before on previous upgrades and normally they just reset the dhcp/modem and the address corrects itself in less than an hour.

ccarmock
10-08-2011, 14:20
Interesting Kymmy - I have the fixed IP option btu in an ex-Telewest area and don't have to register MACS - basically as long as the mac stays the same on I get the same Ip address, which has revre DNS to indicta eit's from a static block.

I use a Cisco router behind the cable modem and have configured a specific WAN port MAC address.

Of course in Septemer (ahem) this is all going to improve with the true static addresses with capability for customised reverse DNS etc

Kymmy
10-08-2011, 16:50
Ex-NTL go via memberservices.ntlbusiness.com there you can see your allotted 5 IPs and via the autoreg.net server you can allocate them to the mac you're using for that browser.

memberservices is then used to de-register the MAC which I did last night.. it then went from PENDING DELETE to not assigned.. Registered the new MAC which went from PENDING CREATE to created.

I'm wondering if the system hands onto the lease for the old mac for a determinate length of time which means the new MAC gets a dynamic lease as it can't allocate the old IP.

It's a very poor system :( and I'm still waiting for the datacentre to call me back.

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Just had the TS firstly try to drop the lease on the old address, then they tried to reset the CM then they reset the UBR box.. For some weird reason it's still assigning the address to the old MAC (old mac is in another PC behind a router and is currently turned off)

He's gone to talk to the main guys who deal with the address pool..

:(

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Tech support just rang me back.. The previous actions should have worked so they have no idea why not.. They've left it in the hands of the address pool guys (I think he referred to them as LMC??)

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

16 hours since the fault started it's now cured.. A big thanks to the faults guys and the address pool guys :clap:

I'm gonna keep the ticket number and refer them back to it if it ever happens again.