PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub and home networking

m0dn0d
08-08-2011, 14:28
I've just moved from Sky to Virgin because of the Tivo service (I've Tivo for 5 years and is brilliant :) )

However the broadband side of things is giving me a headache.

I have 3 pc's on a homenetwork previosuly connected to SKY who used fixed IP addresses.

Since installing Virgin all 3 pc's will access the internet (as I have changed the TCP/IP properties to automatically allocate IP address) but the pc's will no longer see each other.

2 of my pc's are connected by a Draytek vigor router 2800 in my office and I had to disable the settings to enable internet connectivity so it is bascially acting like a hub which is fine.

The problem though is my PC's can no longer see each other. Virgin tech support gave me the good news that they can fix the problem but want £60 or £10pm for a year.

I'm assuming I have to access the superhub and make some changes but unsure of how to do this.

Can anyone help or have a solution?

Kymmy
08-08-2011, 14:32
What's the LAN IP addresses of all the PC's.. You may find that the draytek is dhcp'ing a different address pool lan the superhup

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

You might be better allocating fixed LAN IP's to them all..

m0dn0d
08-08-2011, 15:24
I disabled DHCP from the draytek so that should effectively make it dumb and because I have internet access from all of the machines I guess that's proved it.

How do I assign fixed IP's from the superhub to my machines? Which will hopefully mean they will see each other?

Do i need to use the netwrok wizard on microsoft (2 xp machines and one win 7)?

Thanks

Kymmy
08-08-2011, 15:31
Just manually give IP's to each PC within the same subnet..

For example if the superhub is on 192.168.0.1 then give each PC a 192.168.0.xxx address, set the subnet to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway and DNS to 192.168.0.1

If that cures the issue then if you want to go back to DHCP then try it, use IPCONFIG at the command prompt to show you the dhcp IP's and make sure that they're all part of the same subnet.

Skie
08-08-2011, 19:36
Modem only mode is due out soon™

Once that is enabled on the superhub then you can use your router as a router. The superhub isnt much cop as a router.

New to cable
08-08-2011, 20:50
I would advise you to wait for the latest firmware revision for the Superhub "R29"

Its getting good feedback and allows you to put the Superhub into modem only mode. So setting up your router will be much more straight forward.

KenK
08-08-2011, 22:39
I would advise you to wait for the latest firmware revision for the Superhub "R29"

Its getting good feedback and allows you to put the Superhub into modem only mode. So setting up your router will be much more straight forward.I suspect that's not a lot of help - m0dn0d probably wants his/her network to work now, not sometime in the next few weeks once VM decide to allow R29 to escape. I think fixed IP addresses (as Kymmy posted), or putting the Draytek router in the "super"hub's DMZ, would be something to try.