PDA

View Full Version : Superhub atheros ar9285 wireless adapter help!

ash88uk
04-08-2011, 17:24
Hi I purchased a Sony Vaio today with the wireless adapter atheros ar9285 and my internet speeds on wifi are sooo slow, like 2mb, I have a 30BM model so it's just disgusting and on my desktop and my friends laptop (acer) I regularly get over 20mb

Any solution to this like a setting etc?

Thanks

Peter_
04-08-2011, 17:37
Have you updated the driver by connecting the laptop via ethernet to the Superhub then going to >Control panel>Category on the top right>choose Small icons>click >Device manager >scroll to Network adaptors >right click on the Atheros and click on >Drivers and then >Update drivers and choose online.

If this fails you will need to install the driver manually from http://www.atheros.cz/

ash88uk
04-08-2011, 18:22
Have you updated the driver by connecting the laptop via ethernet to the Superhub then going to >Control panel>Category on the top right>choose Small icons>click >Device manager >scroll to Network adaptors >right click on the Atheros and click on >Drivers and then >Update drivers and choose online.

If this fails you will need to install the driver manually from http://www.atheros.cz/

I downloaded the drivers but how do I install it manually?

Kymmy
04-08-2011, 18:44
The atheros drivers normally come as an install file, it should allow you to install just the drivers..

If though it's just a packed directory then you'll need to go into the device manager, right click, choose Update driver and tell it where the files are..(they might need expanding first)

ash88uk
04-08-2011, 19:22
Still not working, on speedtest it's still showing as only 1 or 2MB :(

Any other advise someone can help me with? please!

vmfriend
04-08-2011, 19:31
This might help :

http://www.freepchelp.co.uk/threads/9542-Sony-Vaio-Slow-Atheros-AR9285-Wireless-Card

Just googling the title of your thread yielded these results, have you looked in the Sony forums ?

ash88uk
04-08-2011, 20:50
Tried that but still doesn't work

I connected via Ethernet but I only got about 8-10MB, so do you think it's a problem with the laptop or superhub settings? or is the laptop card not capable of receiving so much speed? I brought it from a friend

I was wondering if it's worth restoring it to factory settings but I'm unsure if it will work.

I have spent the last 8 hours trying to figure out how to work this, doing my head in!

I read somewhere someone mention the TCP ports or something.. not sure what

Any help would be greatly appreciated

vmfriend
04-08-2011, 22:12
If you post your modem stats I am sure one of the experts will come along and give you an indication as to whether there are any issues with your connection.

Was your connection like this before you bought the laptop (ie were you using a different PC prior to buying the Sony ?)

ash88uk
04-08-2011, 23:07
If you post your modem stats I am sure one of the experts will come along and give you an indication as to whether there are any issues with your connection.

Was your connection like this before you bought the laptop (ie were you using a different PC prior to buying the Sony ?)

My Desktop PC has 29MB connection through ethernet wire, my friends Acer laptop had almost the same through WIRELESS..

My modem stats:

You can easily change your security settings for your wireless network.

Wireless On

Security Mode wpa2-psk(aes)

SSID on

Up to 32 alphanumeric characters
(Case sensitive)

Passphrase

xxxx

Broadcast SSID on

Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)

If your wireless device/adaptor does not have a 'WPS Sync button', a WPS PIN can be used to provide a secure connection to any WPS enabled wireless device. If required you can generate a new WPS PIN in Advanced Settings.

WPS PIN:
xxxxxx

Wireless Band Settings

Selecting the 5GHz option may improve performance for any wireless devices/adaptors which operate in 5GHz mode. However any older devices (2.4GHz only) may not be able to connect to your wireless network when operating in this mode.
Wireless Band 2.4GHz (Recommended)

Wireless Channel Settings

When powered on, the Super Hub will detect other wireless networks in your area and automatically select an operating channel to minimise interference. If you wish to manually set a wireless channel, you can do so below.
Auto seek best wireless channel (Recommended) Manually select wireless channel
Wireless Channel

automatic selected

Super Hub Version

Software Version: "V5.5.2R26"
Hardware Version: 2.00

Any problems here?

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Any help please?

ash88uk
05-08-2011, 03:46
Hi I got it working.. it seemed it was a problem with VM's encryption!

vmfriend
05-08-2011, 19:03
They were the wrong stats, no matter you got it working that's the main thing, when you say encryption do you mean from the laptop to the hub (ie WPA2)