PDA

View Full Version : Laptop wireless connection with limited access

denphone
03-08-2011, 16:06
l have a problem at the moment as l have a laptop but yet it says it is only connecting with limited connectivity to the internet but yet my PC is perfectly fine with the internet and also the signal strength on the laptop says the signal strength is excellent so can anybody tell me why this is doing this please.

Dai
03-08-2011, 16:31
Mine does that if I get the password wrong. Has this connected OK in the past?

denphone
03-08-2011, 16:48
Mine does that if I get the password wrong. Has this connected OK in the past?

No its nothing to do with the password l don't think as it keeps saying that windows cannot connect and they say they want a network security key and l have not a clue what that is or how to get it.

Milambar
03-08-2011, 16:50
"Limited Connectivity" - Translation - "I am talking to the router, its acknoweging my presence, but other than that, its ignoring me."

The network security key IS the WEP/WPA password. Its just a posh name.

denphone
03-08-2011, 17:36
"Limited Connectivity" - Translation - "I am talking to the router, its acknoweging my presence, but other than that, its ignoring me."

The network security key IS the WEP/WPA password. Its just a posh name.

When l type the network security key in it does not seem to be working.

General Maximus
03-08-2011, 17:37
if this is the first time you have tried setting it up there will be a default password which you can change (have a look in the usermanual), if not, and you cant remember what the password is, you'll need to push the reset button on the router which will put it back to factory setttings and then you can go in and set a new pass

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

When l type the network security key in it does not seem to be working.

remember they are case sensitive and could look like

tHi$

denphone
03-08-2011, 17:56
if this is the first time you have tried setting it up there will be a default password which you can change (have a look in the usermanual), if not, and you cant remember what the password is, you'll need to push the reset button on the router which will put it back to factory setttings and then you can go in and set a new pass

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

remember they are case sensitive and could look like

tHi$

Thanks for your kind information and it seems that l had pressed a button accidently on the keypad which was disabling the wireless connection.

General Maximus
03-08-2011, 18:00
lol, so is it working alright now?

denphone
04-08-2011, 05:44
lol, so is it working alright now?

It was for a while but now it keeps saying limited wireless access and l cannot get on the internet again.

General Maximus
04-08-2011, 08:38
if you have a look at the settings/properties there is a box you can tick somewhere for "always connect to this network when it is in range" which means it will always try to connect to your AP even if other one are in range

denphone
04-08-2011, 11:09
if you have a look at the settings/properties there is a box you can tick somewhere for "always connect to this network when it is in range" which means it will always try to connect to your AP even if other one are in range

Well there is still a problem as it says not connected then l type the propertys and it still does not connect fully as its says connected with limited access.

Dai
04-08-2011, 11:34
Is the wireless connection made via the native Windows connector or are you using a 3rd-party tool supplied perhaps by the laptop or wireless card manufacturer. I've found some 3rd party connectors can be a bit flakey and often go back to letting Windows manage my connection.

denphone
04-08-2011, 11:56
Is the wireless connection made via the native Windows connector or are you using a 3rd-party tool supplied perhaps by the laptop or wireless card manufacturer. I've found some 3rd party connectors can be a bit flakey and often go back to letting Windows manage my connection.

Sorry to be a dunce:dunce::dunce: but could you explain it in more layman;s terms as where do l go to check all this on my computer, all l know is l have a Virgin Media Superhub that connects perfectly on the pc but since l have had the Superhub it has been dropping in and out occassionally on my laptop but in the last couple of days it has got much worse at at the present time it has connected again but l fear this will not last long before it says not connecting or connecting with limited connectivity.

Fspiders
04-08-2011, 12:14
Sounds like your hub is the culprit here. I had exactly the same problem and had to reset the hub and laptop to clear the error and get a full connection. This was happening on wireless maybe 5 times an hour.

Had my update from r26 to r29 yesterday and problem gone, full wireless connection for over 22 hours and counting.

denphone
04-08-2011, 12:18
Sounds like your hub is the culprit here. I had exactly the same problem and had to reset the hub and laptop to clear the error and get a full connection. This was happening on wireless maybe 5 times an hour.

Had my update from r26 to r29 yesterday and problem gone, full wireless connection for over 22 hours and counting.

l reset the hub and the connection is back on the laptop now but l expect the connection to go down again but also what does r26 to r29 mean in your update and how did you get this update.

Fspiders
04-08-2011, 12:29
In the advanced settings in the super hub it shows you your setup.

Information
Standard Specification Compliant EU DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version 2.00
Software Version V5.5.2R29

The software version was R26 yesterday morning.

I had exactly the same problems as you and in the end used the hub as a modem and re-connected my router for wireless.

Once I got the upgrade to R29 I set the hub back to basic settings with wireless on 300mbps and switched off firewall and ip flood in services.

It's been spot on.. Not a single drop out or error of any kind.

Not sure why I've got the upgrade as I'm not a beta tester... But VM knew I was tearing what little hair I've left out and I've been on at them constantly complaining lol.

denphone
04-08-2011, 12:43
l have looked at ours and it says Software version V5.5.2R26.

Fspiders
04-08-2011, 12:53
That's the latest official software and lots of people are having issues with the wireless part of it.

I know that they are beta testing the r29 software and hopefully they'll make it public soon as it does seem to have sorted out my issues (which are exactly the same as yours)

I suppose you could get onto them and demand the update because I have it and I'm not a beta tester.

The only other option is to cable up your laptop for the time being or use another router.

Have you tried switching wireless down to 145mbps and switching off the firewall and ip flood?

denphone
04-08-2011, 13:07
That's the latest official software and lots of people are having issues with the wireless part of it.

I know that they are beta testing the r29 software and hopefully they'll make it public soon as it does seem to have sorted out my issues (which are exactly the same as yours)

I suppose you could get onto them and demand the update because I have it and I'm not a beta tester.

The only other option is to cable up your laptop for the time being or use another router.

Have you tried switching wireless down to 145mbps and switching off the firewall and ip flood?

l will phone them up about it and will switch wireless down to 145mbps but l am not sure about turning off the firewall.

Dai
04-08-2011, 13:13
l will phone them up about it and will switch wireless down to 145mbps but l am not sure about turning off the firewall.

If you turn off the hub firewall you'll still have the firewall in your laptop and also a degree of protection from the router NAT function. It really doesn't leave you much more vulnerable so I'd suggest giving it a try.

denphone
04-08-2011, 13:35
If the superhub is wireless (N) technology and my network adapter card on the laptop is wireless (G) technology does the the adapter card on the laptop need to be changed to the (N) technology.

Fspiders
04-08-2011, 16:19
You can change it but you don't need too as the hub is backward compatible with b g and n although you'll be stuck to a speed of 54mbps.. Though in reality you'll probably only get about 20mb on the g card.

denphone
04-08-2011, 16:24
You can change it but you don't need too as the hub is backward compatible with b g and n although you'll be stuck to a speed of 54mbps

Thanks for that information.