PDA

View Full Version : 100M **** OMG Got My New 100 Mb Connection On The VMNG300, Perfect !! ****

ethan103
30-07-2011, 14:01
Just been off the phone to an excellent UK Based Tech Agent.

Had a really nice chat while he activated it for me on the VMNG300.

Extremely happy:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/07/4.png

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/07/5.png

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

This Is What Download Speeds Are Looking Like:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4486/unled1hq.png

1 time only
30-07-2011, 14:02
I just called about 5 mins ago and spoke to the most helpful woman I've ever spoken to in VM and she did the same for me too :)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/07/3.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Ignitionnet
30-07-2011, 14:06
Congratulations on purchasing a new broadband service, truly pioneering, well done.

1 time only
30-07-2011, 14:15
It was the modem side of things that we're happy about you idiot!!

Did you not read the OP's thread title?

Ignitionnet
30-07-2011, 14:20
You and several others have done this to the extent where there are several threads on it, it's really nothing exceptional or extraordinary and there's no need to call me an idiot, you're wasting time doing that you could be spending running speed tests.

ethan103
30-07-2011, 14:31
It was the modem side of things that we're happy about you idiot!!

Did you not read the OP's thread title?

Exactly, I'm just happy that there are people within Virgin with some common sense and not robots who constantly keepy saying 100 Mb cannot work without a SUPERHUB (Mod Edit)Please call products by their correct name as has been requested in the past.

And also congrats to you too :-D

TJS
30-07-2011, 14:41
Congratulations on purchasing a new broadband service, truly pioneering, well done.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/07/5.jpg

1 time only
30-07-2011, 14:41
You're spot on with the robots comment, as most of the time you can actually tell their reading their side of the conversation from notes. Lol

The lady I spoke to just said that she'd seen red badges on accounts to do with the Superhub and that she'd be happy to send the config file and then call back in a couple of hours to see how it's all going before attaching it to the account properly and starting the charges for it.

Also there wasn't any fees as she said there's actually a deal at the moment where the install and activation are free. I know that I wouldn't have been liable for an install but not having to pay the activation either was a nice bonus :)

*EDIT*

She just called back which was nice too as I've been told in the past to expect a call that never came through.

She asked if everything was working ok and told me that if at some point I do have problems due to channel bonding I'd be sent out whatever HW they're using then at no extra cost :)

ethan103
30-07-2011, 14:47
You're spot on with the robots comment, as most of the time you can actually tell their reading their side of the conversation from notes. Lol

The lady I spoke to just said that she'd seen red badges on accounts to do with the Superhub and that she'd be happy to send the config file and then call back in a couple of hours to see how it's all going before attaching it to the account properly and starting the charges for it.

Also there wasn't any fees as she said there's actually a deal at the moment where the install and activation are free. I know that I wouldn't have been liable for an install but not having to pay the activation either was a nice bonus :)

LoL, yeah that's so true!! They sound like I'm a mad man saying it will work when clearly they are the almighty Robots that know all :-D

The agent I spoke to said the same really, give it a go and any problems just call straight back but I pretty much knew it would be smooth on the VMNG300 ;-)

And yh that was a bonus, only £7 extra a month for me so £47 for 100 Mb + M phone !

Bargain methinks ^_^

Ignitionnet
30-07-2011, 20:15
So happy you spammed here and on the official forum (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-100Mb-broadband/Got-My-New-100-Mb-Connection-On-the-VMNG300/td-p/632183)!

Congratulations on getting the product you are paying for at the price advertised. Again very well done!

Incidentally no-one said it wouldn't work. I hate to break it to you but you're not the first person to get 100Mb activated on a VMNG300. There is potential for problems in the future, for now it works just fine. If anyone said otherwise they are quite wrong.

1 time only
30-07-2011, 21:43
The reason the OP posted this thread is because of the trouble people have had trying to keep the modem rather than having it replaced with the SH.

Being as we all know that 100mb is meant to be engineer install only, and that the SH is part of that agreement, I think it's quite good for him/her to have posted here that it was given without the needless visit and swap out of HW.

Some people like I have been wanting the 100mb for a while but didn't want the SH as I've heard so many people have had huge problems with it.

I know that not every user with a SH experiences problems but it's enough to make people want to try and keep something that they know works.

And as for not being the first to get activated with the VMNG300, I know full well there has been others that have managed to pull it off, but the fact that you're not mean't to be able to have the package without the upgrades could well deter others from calling and trying themselves to get the service they want without taking a chance on getting a HW upgrade that may well just cause problems.

Also as we all know, once the VMNG300 is taken off your account they'll never put it back on, no matter the problems you might have using the SH.

Bullstein
30-07-2011, 23:38
Lmao

Well done on getting the service you wanted m8, never mind the VM party line superhub followers :)

roughbeast
31-07-2011, 08:17
So happy you spammed here and on the official forum (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-100Mb-broadband/Got-My-New-100-Mb-Connection-On-the-VMNG300/td-p/632183)!

Congratulations on getting the product you are paying for at the price advertised. Again very well done!

Incidentally no-one said it wouldn't work. I hate to break it to you but you're not the first person to get 100Mb activated on a VMNG300. There is potential for problems in the future, for now it works just fine. If anyone said otherwise they are quite wrong.

The trouble with this attitude to issues is that once folk know that you have an axe to grind and are prepared to be sarcastic and/or dismissive then they will be less likely to trust your judgement in the future.

For me it is encouraging to see that VM are prepared to give us choices and that customer services are being so helpful. This will not be accidental. I would assume that instructions have come down from the CEO's office ensuring that customers get satisfaction on their upgrade. I know that VM have invested massively in the Super Hub, but customers are an even greater investment. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SH quietly disappear from the scene, to be replaced at a later date.

Peter_
31-07-2011, 10:58
I wouldn't be surprised to see the SH quietly disappear from the scene, to be replaced at a later date.
As the is shortly to be a second Superhub released to ensure the is a constant supply of the device that is very very unlikely to happen and sooner or later you will have to upgrade to the Superhub in order to ensure you can still get 100Mb as the 8 downstreams rollout.

Ignitionnet
31-07-2011, 11:34
The trouble with this attitude to issues is that once folk know that you have an axe to grind and are prepared to be sarcastic and/or dismissive then they will be less likely to trust your judgement in the future.

For me it is encouraging to see that VM are prepared to give us choices and that customer services are being so helpful. This will not be accidental. I would assume that instructions have come down from the CEO's office ensuring that customers get satisfaction on their upgrade. I know that VM have invested massively in the Super Hub, but customers are an even greater investment. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SH quietly disappear from the scene, to be replaced at a later date.

The first paragraph would require me to care whether random people on a forum trust my judgement in order to take particular notice.

As far as I'm aware there isn't a choice, this is people acting unilaterally.

The irony is that the same lady who did the good service of calling back after doing the activation noted that there would be new hardware sent out if there were issues with channel bonding in the future. Basically acknowledging she just kicked the can down the road and left the probability of the customer getting a degraded service due to her appeasement. Happy as Larry now, frustrated in the future if/when things go wrong.

Customer service isn't always about doing exactly what the customer wants to keep them happy. There is no directive from on high to activate VMNG300s for people.

The new Superhub firmware, R29, works great in bridge mode by the way, which is nice. Not a fan of the device but neither a detractor of it in bridge mode, works fine.

200Mb scheduled tentatively for next year. If VM show this same attitude I'm guessing we'll see threads from people who blagged keeping their VMNG300 and are complaining they can't get 200Mb when that rolls around. I'll be able to get it at the flick of a switch, which is also nice.

roughbeast
31-07-2011, 12:26
The first paragraph would require me to care whether random people on a forum trust my judgement in order to take particular notice.

As far as I'm aware there isn't a choice, this is people acting unilaterally.

The irony is that the same lady who did the good service of calling back after doing the activation noted that there would be new hardware sent out if there were issues with channel bonding in the future. Basically acknowledging she just kicked the can down the road and left the probability of the customer getting a degraded service due to her appeasement. Happy as Larry now, frustrated in the future if/when things go wrong.

Customer service isn't always about doing exactly what the customer wants to keep them happy. There is no directive from on high to activate VMNG300s for people.

The new Superhub firmware, R29, works great in bridge mode by the way, which is nice. Not a fan of the device but neither a detractor of it in bridge mode, works fine.

200Mb scheduled tentatively for next year. If VM show this same attitude I'm guessing we'll see threads from people who blagged keeping their VMNG300 and are complaining they can't get 200Mb when that rolls around. I'll be able to get it at the flick of a switch, which is also nice.

Ist Paragraph. Point taken.

Final paragraph. Do you think the two trial modems I still have from last year, which are both capable of 8 bonded channels up and down, would be useful for 100Mb and then 200Mb? I wonder what VM's attitude to me using them would be.

Nopanic
31-07-2011, 12:29

Well she lied there, she couldn't give you service without setting up the billing .. and wtf is a red badge ?

Although she did call you back which was good .

ethan103
31-07-2011, 12:38
Lmao

Well done on getting the service you wanted m8, never mind the VM party line superhub followers :)

Thanks!!!

:D

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

As the is shortly to be a second Superhub released to ensure the is a constant supply of the device that is very very unlikely to happen and sooner or later you will have to upgrade to the Superhub in order to ensure you can still get 100Mb as the 8 downstreams rollout.

The Main Point Is:

It's much easier to Have the Service on the VMNG300 and have it running perfectly,

THAN,

Getting a SuperHub and Possibly Getting A Lot of problems AND THEN trying to go back to the VMNG300, which I would say as of now, you wouldnt have any chance of doing.....

Its much easier to just ring up and say, right, been using the modem for a while, no longer working, please send a SH.

Because by the time that happens, hopefully, new hardware will be out.

OR at least new Firmware will be out possibly fixing problems.

;) ;) :) :)

Peter_
31-07-2011, 15:40
Ist Paragraph. Point taken.

Final paragraph. Do you think the two trial modems I still have from last year, which are both capable of 8 bonded channels up and down, would be useful for 100Mb and then 200Mb? I wonder what VM's attitude to me using them would be.
They wereused on a ring fenced trial so they would not be allowed on the main system as they will not be in the inventory.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

The Main Point Is:

It's much easier to Have the Service on the VMNG300 and have it running perfectly,

THAN,

Getting a SuperHub and Possibly Getting A Lot of problems AND THEN trying to go back to the VMNG300, which I would say as of now, you wouldnt have any chance of doing.....

Its much easier to just ring up and say, right, been using the modem for a while, no longer working, please send a SH.

Because by the time that happens, hopefully, new hardware will be out.

OR at least new Firmware will be out possibly fixing problems.

;) ;) :) :)
Only expect a short term life for the modem and do not be surprised that it will just fail to deliver one day due to the bonded channels.

theoldbill
31-07-2011, 18:15
Only expect a short term life for the modem and do not be surprised that it will just fail to deliver one day due to the bonded channels.

It would be poor planning if it did suddenly just stop working. There are ancient DOCSIS 1 modems still on the network that VM refuse to swap out for new kit without 'activation fees', forget about relatively new stuff like the VMNG300!

Until they get rid of that clap-trap of fees to tempt old-timers off the network they have no choice but to hang fire on advanced bonding, surely!

Peter_
31-07-2011, 18:25
It would be poor planning if it did suddenly just stop working. There are ancient DOCSIS 1 modems still on the network that VM refuse to swap out for new kit without 'activation fees', forget about relatively new stuff like the VMNG300!

Until they get rid of that clap-trap of fees to tempt old-timers off the network they have no choice but to hang fire on advanced bonding, surely!
It will not stop working but as it does not have more than 4 downstreams the service will degrade as the CMTS are upgrade to run on the 8 downstreams the Superhub uses, the VMNG300 will work but not as you know it.

ethan103
31-07-2011, 18:36
It will not stop working but as it does not have more than 4 downstreams the service will degrade as the CMTS are upgrade to run on the 8 downstreams the Superhub uses, the VMNG300 will work but not as you know it.

What are we exactly talking about when you say "won't work the same" ?

Will the speeds just be reduced?

Latency will be higher?

Packet loss?

How do I know/ can you find out when VM uses 8 channels in my area?

Also when the new R28/R29 firmware is out, how do you update the Superhub to it?

Skie
31-07-2011, 19:07
What are we exactly talking about when you say "won't work the dame" ?

If you are in an area that dosent have a lot of utilization you wont notice a difference. But in an area with more usage, those with fewer downstreams will start to see issues before those with superhubs do. Its basically load balancing, and 8 channels is better than 4.

bigsinky
01-08-2011, 18:48
my superhub works fine both wired and wirelessly. has done since installation. :D

ethan103
02-08-2011, 19:01
Some Pingtests:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/44545948.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/44546038.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/44546200.png