PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with VM

zaax
30-07-2011, 11:53
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/07/30/0315207/Tens-of-Thousands-Flee-From-BT-and-Virgin

Quite a few people have commented saying that it's no surprise that people are leaving BT - they're more expensive, utterly useless and switching DSL providers isn't as much hassle, whereas Virgin is a different case since their technology is actually better - why would people want to leave? The reasons are numerous, let me just give a few examples:

*Call centre staff are outsourced.
80% (if not more) of the call centre staff are outsourced to Indian call centres. This immediately creates a language barrier, particularly with anyone from Scotland as the outsourced staff can't understand the accent.

*ALL Call centre staff are severely undertrained
The offshore agents are barely trained at all, as they're trained by people who have been trained by people who have been trained by someone from IBM (whom Virgin contracts to do all their support) who hasn't actually done the job. The net result is that it takes agents months to get even remotely familliar with the tools and equipment Virgin uses and that's assuming they last that long.
Onshore isn't a great deal better. They have a dedicated training team, however the training period is 4 weeks. That's for EVERYTHING the job entails, from fixing modems, to wireless, to email and Virgin security. Years ago before wireless and the value added services were a factor, the training period was 6 weeks.
Additionally, the training material is GROSSLY out of date. It dictates that 2 days are spent learning how to adjust the frequency of a modem that is no longer used by Virgin. If a customer still has one of these modems, it is meant to be replaced immediately because it's well over 3 years old (more like 6). However, the training material is controlled by Virgin, who refuse to let the training team touch it. This means trainers are forced to train out old, outdated material and try to squeeze in the "real" material when and where they can.
The hiring process is even worse. No consideration is given to how technically minded you are, or how much you know about computers. I've seen people show up for customer services roles and been told they're going to do Technical support - despite barely knowing how to use a computer themselves.

*The VM Hub and Superhub
BT have a "home hub", whereas Virgin have relied on dedicated modems and separate routers for years. This meant that customers had to have 2 separate devices to get wireless and the wireless routers weren't Virgin specific (unlike the modems), meaning that customers could say they were broke, get new ones and sell them on ebay. So Virgin decided to do an all-in-one soultion, much like BT's home hub. There were two models - the VM hub and the "superhub". The VM Hub is a DOCSIS 2 device, the super hub is DOCSIS 3. The problem? Both hubs have issues, serious issues. The wireless range on the regular hub is ABYSMAL, you can literally lose the signal from being in the same room. The Superhub is SLIGHTLY better, but still nothing on a dedicated router. But can you still plug in your own router? Nope, VM deliberately disabled the DHCP options within the HUB, meaning you have to rely on it (although a patch is coming that will enable "gateway" mode). Other issues include the firewall causing connections to drop randomly, the hub would occasionally and for no reason decide to stop leasing IPs from the network, forcing the customer offline and so on. The list goes on and on and it still isn't fixed - most customers that went from a dedicated modem to a SHUB or HUB have regretted it and wanted their old modems back, but Virgin won't let support staff issue modems any more, so you're screwed.

*Sheer incompetence
The hubs are just one example of how useless Virgin are at implementing ANYTHING - they recently changed their website to "make it better" and give customers more control of their accounts, but instead it locked many customers out of their accounts entirely. It caused emails to get orphaned from accounts, meaning support staff wouldn't even attempt to reset a password or fix it because they couldn't pass Data Protection. Eventually Virgin admitted there was a problem and put a process in place to have their IT staff manually fix the account, but this process wasn't trained out, it was sent in an email that many agents just didn't get. The ones that did get it, it was pot luck if they could be bothered. They were told to tell customers it could be 3-5 working days. Or was it 5-7? Oh it might have been 48 hours. It was different depending on who you asked, but it didn't matter because a massive backlog appeared that meant customers were without emails for at least 2 weeks, sometimes over a month. And what was the customer to do? Nothing. Call in again, shout at someone else but they weren't the ones fixing it, so it would do no good. Compensation? Sorry, the email service is "complimentary", tough luck. Oh what's that, you've lost business? Well you shouldn't be using a residential email service to run your business. In other words - Virgin has your money, you can **** off.

Other examples of incompetence - the Modem virgin Brought out for their 50meg service, the Ambit 300, someone literally FORGOT to renew the support with the company that manufactured them. They only realised when a bug was discovered in the firmware that caused multiple-threaded download speeds to drop sharply and the support company told them tough ****. They had to negotiate a new support contract and was more or less scammed into paying through the nose due to not having a choice.

*Some Virgins are more virgin than others
Virgin outsources a LOT of their **** - and I mean a lot. The techs that come to your door are outsourced, the call centre staff are outsourced, they're not part of Virgin and thus they get **** on constantly. Virgin contracts IBM to do all this, but then IBM contracts other groups, recruitment agencies like Manpower and Adecco and collectively, they pay their staff pittance. The wage for new starts in the UK, who support ALL technical faults from broken modems and SNR issues, to setting up your wireless, remoting into your machine and setting up emails, etc. is £12,200 per year. On a 37.5 hour contract. That's right - it's barely minimum wage, so is it any surprise that they just don't care about you, the customer? What's more, their contract is ****** - a week's notice, holidays have to be booked months in advance because there's never enough hours free, your shifts can (and have been) be changed less than 48hours before you're due in. There hasn't been a pay rise for over 8 years. This is why they have recently started Unioning up, this is why people don't stick around for long and thus why nobody ever seems to know what they're doing - because they've only been there a few weeks to replace the droves of people who have recently left, in a never ending cycle.

*The techs are useless
If it comes down to it and someone has to come out to your house, good luck. Half the time they just don't show up because if they don't do a certain number of jobs in a certain time, they get penalised. They have 15minutes per job, that's it. So if your modem or STB needs replaced, that's them overrunning - heaven forbid if they need to replace the coax. And because of this, it's easier to just say the next guy didn't answer the door. Sometimes there's nothing they can do and a 2-man team needs to come out (for a repull, as an example), only that tech can book this, nobody else can. And they forget to book this a good 40% of the time - the result being, your problem doesn't get fixed for weeks, you call back in only to be told that the call centre staff can't book the repull you need and so we'll have to send out ANOTHER tech just so he can book it. And if he doesn't book it? Well, lets just hope you don't need your service for at least 6 months.

This list goes on and on. This is why the staff don't care. This is why people are leaving. This is why people are happier with a ****** 6meg DSL service for the same price as Virgins 10 or 20meg service.

martyh
30-07-2011, 12:28
At the end of the day VM need a huge injection of money to increase their network to pick up new customers .For me it's pointless VM developing 100mg or 200mg speeds if their lower tiers aren't accessible to new customers ,where's the new revenue going to come from

Mick Fisher
30-07-2011, 12:37
Hmmm...Unfortunately I find myself agreeing with most of what you say. :(

TJS
30-07-2011, 12:46
been nothing but perfect for me.

martyh
30-07-2011, 12:56
been nothing but perfect for me.

It was good for me too ,but a lack of coverage meant a forced move to a (what i consider) a inferior supplier(sky) when i moved house

Nopanic
01-08-2011, 21:10
*Call centre staff are outsourced.
80% (if not more) of the call centre staff are outsourced to Indian call centres. This immediately creates a language barrier, particularly with anyone from Scotland as the outsourced staff can't understand the accent.

Not true

*ALL Call centre staff are severely undertrained
The offshore agents are barely trained at all, as they're trained by people who have been trained by people who have been trained by someone from IBM (whom Virgin contracts to do all their support) who hasn't actually done the job. The net result is that it takes agents months to get even remotely familliar with the tools and equipment Virgin uses and that's assuming they last that long.
Onshore isn't a great deal better. They have a dedicated training team, however the training period is 4 weeks. That's for EVERYTHING the job entails, from fixing modems, to wireless, to email and Virgin security. Years ago before wireless and the value added services were a factor, the training period was 6 weeks.
Additionally, the training material is GROSSLY out of date. It dictates that 2 days are spent learning how to adjust the frequency of a modem that is no longer used by Virgin. If a customer still has one of these modems, it is meant to be replaced immediately because it's well over 3 years old (more like 6). However, the training material is controlled by Virgin, who refuse to let the training team touch it. This means trainers are forced to train out old, outdated material and try to squeeze in the "real" material when and where they can.

Not true

The hiring process is even worse. No consideration is given to how technically minded you are, or how much you know about computers. I've seen people show up for customer services roles and been told they're going to do Technical support - despite barely knowing how to use a computer themselves.

Customer care is in a completely different location to tech support so that's interesting ..

*The VM Hub and Superhub
BT have a "home hub", whereas Virgin have relied on dedicated modems and separate routers for years. This meant that customers had to have 2 separate devices to get wireless and the wireless routers weren't Virgin specific (unlike the modems), meaning that customers could say they were broke, get new ones and sell them on ebay. So Virgin decided to do an all-in-one soultion, much like BT's home hub. There were two models - the VM hub and the "superhub". The VM Hub is a DOCSIS 2 device, the super hub is DOCSIS 3. The problem? Both hubs have issues, serious issues. The wireless range on the regular hub is ABYSMAL, you can literally lose the signal from being in the same room. The Superhub is SLIGHTLY better, but still nothing on a dedicated router. But can you still plug in your own router? Nope, VM deliberately disabled the DHCP options within the HUB, meaning you have to rely on it (although a patch is coming that will enable "gateway" mode). Other issues include the firewall causing connections to drop randomly, the hub would occasionally and for no reason decide to stop leasing IPs from the network, forcing the customer offline and so on. The list goes on and on and it still isn't fixed - most customers that went from a dedicated modem to a SHUB or HUB have regretted it and wanted their old modems back, but Virgin won't let support staff issue modems any more, so you're screwed.

Not touching this one

*Sheer incompetence
The hubs are just one example of how useless Virgin are at implementing ANYTHING - they recently changed their website to "make it better" and give customers more control of their accounts, but instead it locked many customers out of their accounts entirely. It caused emails to get orphaned from accounts, meaning support staff wouldn't even attempt to reset a password or fix it because they couldn't pass Data Protection. Eventually Virgin admitted there was a problem and put a process in place to have their IT staff manually fix the account, but this process wasn't trained out, it was sent in an email that many agents just didn't get. The ones that did get it, it was pot luck if they could be bothered. They were told to tell customers it could be 3-5 working days. Or was it 5-7? Oh it might have been 48 hours. It was different depending on who you asked, but it didn't matter because a massive backlog appeared that meant customers were without emails for at least 2 weeks, sometimes over a month. And what was the customer to do? Nothing. Call in again, shout at someone else but they weren't the ones fixing it, so it would do no good. Compensation? Sorry, the email service is "complimentary", tough luck. Oh what's that, you've lost business? Well you shouldn't be using a residential email service to run your business. In other words - Virgin has your money, you can **** off.

You're starting to sound more and more like a disgruntled employee who had a lack of understanding ..

Other examples of incompetence - the Modem virgin Brought out for their 50meg service, the Ambit 300, someone literally FORGOT to renew the support with the company that manufactured them. They only realised when a bug was discovered in the firmware that caused multiple-threaded download speeds to drop sharply and the support company told them tough ****. They had to negotiate a new support contract and was more or less scammed into paying through the nose due to not having a choice.

New to me ..

*Some Virgins are more virgin than others
Virgin outsources a LOT of their **** - and I mean a lot. The techs that come to your door are outsourced, the call centre staff are outsourced, they're not part of Virgin and thus they get **** on constantly. Virgin contracts IBM to do all this, but then IBM contracts other groups, recruitment agencies like Manpower and Adecco and collectively, they pay their staff pittance. The wage for new starts in the UK, who support ALL technical faults from broken modems and SNR issues, to setting up your wireless, remoting into your machine and setting up emails, etc. is £12,200 per year. On a 37.5 hour contract. That's right - it's barely minimum wage, so is it any surprise that they just don't care about you, the customer? What's more, their contract is ****** - a week's notice, holidays have to be booked months in advance because there's never enough hours free, your shifts can (and have been) be changed less than 48hours before you're due in. There hasn't been a pay rise for over 8 years. This is why they have recently started Unioning up, this is why people don't stick around for long and thus why nobody ever seems to know what they're doing - because they've only been there a few weeks to replace the droves of people who have recently left, in a never ending cycle.

Ok dude, your clearly hurting for some reason and its none of my business, but I have a lot of friends who have worked on 1st and 2nd line for a long time and do an excellent job. People apply for the job knowing the pay and although I would like to see them paid more, its the nature of the industry.. If you don't like the wages, don't do the job ..

Some people joined on small wages and worked their way up .. the progression is there if you work hard enough .. or if it suits you.

*The techs are useless
If it comes down to it and someone has to come out to your house, good luck. Half the time they just don't show up because if they don't do a certain number of jobs in a certain time, they get penalised. They have 15minutes per job, that's it. So if your modem or STB needs replaced, that's them overrunning - heaven forbid if they need to replace the coax. And because of this, it's easier to just say the next guy didn't answer the door. Sometimes there's nothing they can do and a 2-man team needs to come out (for a repull, as an example), only that tech can book this, nobody else can. And they forget to book this a good 40% of the time - the result being, your problem doesn't get fixed for weeks, you call back in only to be told that the call centre staff can't book the repull you need and so we'll have to send out ANOTHER tech just so he can book it. And if he doesn't book it? Well, lets just hope you don't need your service for at least 6 months.

One of the techs here is best placed to reply to that ..

This list goes on and on. This is why the staff don't care. This is why people are leaving. This is why people are happier with a ****** 6meg DSL service for the same price as Virgins 10 or 20meg service.

I thought VM was making more money now and the churn rates where much better ?

Peter_
01-08-2011, 22:21
You all do realise that this is not Zaax posting here but him plagiarising someone else's inaccurate posting from another forum, this is the second forum that I have read this rubbish on.:rolleyes:

Wow imagine if we had to do a minimum of 2 days training on each modem we would be in training for six months if we stretched everything else to fit that fantasy.

Our training documentation is continually updated by the Talent Team and anything that is no longer relevant is removed by them.

Explaining the frequency reset procedure on the 10 plus modems that such a action can be done on would be great even though we could whittle it down to 2 brands only if we wanted.:rolleyes:

kwikbreaks
01-08-2011, 22:26
I can't comment on most of the original post (tl;dr) but...

I thought VM was making more money now and the churn rates where much better ?

...doesn't appear to be quite correct - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/27/virgin-media-loses-36000-customers (at least on the churn front).

Peter_
01-08-2011, 23:01

...doesn't appear to be quite correct - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/27/virgin-media-loses-36000-customers (at least on the churn front).
Did we miss this bit out.:rolleyes::D
in part because thousands of students dropped their low-priced TV and broadband subscriptions for the summer holidays.

weesteev
01-08-2011, 23:03
zaax, so much of what you have stated is nonsense.. namely...

percentage of outsourced staff
no payrises for 8 years
ambit support agreement
timescale for technicians jobs

I could go on...

AndyCalling
02-08-2011, 00:46
Looking at the CWU web site they seem to disagree with you re. pay, Zaax. Members seem to have voted for the pay deal. Why would they vote for the continuation of an 8 year freeze? This sounds like complete toot to me. Perhaps other staff than those CWU represent are treated much worse, but then why wouldn't they just join CWU? CWU represent Manpower staff as well and are recognised, if you think it's an agency staff thing then I don't see how.

If things are as bad as reflected here then I'm sure the CWU web pages would be full of it. Perhaps it would be best if we rely on them for correct information.

Nopanic
02-08-2011, 06:20

that's why I said "thought"

kwikbreaks
02-08-2011, 08:40
I realise that. Hopefully the part of the churn that isn't just students going on holiday doesn't continue or worsen. I don't want to see VM continue to have to delay upgrades to oversubscribed areas in case mine becomes one. The low revenue growth is probably of more concern given the amount being spent on network upgrades.

Peter_
02-08-2011, 09:30
I realise that. Hopefully the part of the churn that isn't just students going on holiday doesn't continue or worsen. I don't want to see VM continue to have to delay upgrades to oversubscribed areas in case mine becomes one. The low revenue growth is probably of more concern given the amount being spent on network upgrades.
As the are still thousands signing up each week I doubt that amount has any real impact.

kwikbreaks
02-08-2011, 10:34
My reading of the article was a net loss. Either way it isn't good news and nothing for VM to be complacent about.
====update====
Yes it was a net loss - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/62a40ee8-b85d-11e0-8d23-00144feabdc0.html
=============

The article also mentions that nearly half of new signups were for 30Mbps so let's hope the upcoming Superhub firmware is a success too.

qasdfdsaq
03-08-2011, 08:57
Yeah, it was a net loss, and even taking into account the students it's a net loss, while other competitors are putting on massive net gains in the same time period.