PDA

View Full Version : Superhub The SuperHub is Shocking ME!!!!

kenoliver
29-07-2011, 20:45
OMG I am in shock ( I think I like the SuperHub) :shocked:

I took delivery of my Hub 6 weeks ago, and was pleased with it’s wired performance but disappointed with it’s wireless capabilities, and have related all this in various posts on the Forum

So to get around this as a temporary measure, I used my Time Capsule in "Bridge Mode" to do the wireless part of my network (the TC is on 24/7)

I found that while I had the TC in my network the Hub seemed to be consistently working without a break, the blue network light showed activity 24/7 even with the Mac switched off

Also the TC got unusually warm again 24/7, and the power consumption went off the scale,

So until R29 is released I have put the HUB back as my main wireless device, and I can't believe the performance after 5 days it is solid with great wireless coverage, the network light now only flashes with activity that I can see I am generating

The power consumption is low, and both my Mac and the Hub run very cool, so I am shocked, can't explain it, but am very pleased,

The only thing I have done since I installed the Hub is to upgrade from 30 to 50 meg, maybe the cab file CS sent down to my Hub had some VM fairy dust attached

So anyone have any idea why this metamophasis as occurred ? :cool:

Peter_
29-07-2011, 20:53
I have not had a single issue with my Superhub, I have an Edimax N router connected as an access point and both networks are equal in strength and stability.

My Superhub System Up Time is to date 76 days 02h:41m:11s

this speedtest is fairly average for me as well.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/07/8.png

kenoliver
29-07-2011, 21:08
I have not had a single issue with my Superhub, I have an Edimax N router connected as an access point and both networks are equal in strength and stability.

My Superhub System Up Time is to date 76 days 02h:41m:11s

this speedtest is fairly average for me as well.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/07/8.png

I know you have been consistent in saying that,

But in my case the initial 3 days using it as a wireless device were truly awful, hence my reverting back to my own router for the past 5 weeks

But now after 5 days using the Hub as my wireless device I just can't believe the difference, and would love someone to have a theory as to why :cool:

LondonRoad
29-07-2011, 21:35
and would love someone to have a theory as to why :cool:

The superhub is particularly efficient when exposed to Jeff Lynne singing;)

It's in the small print.:D

kenoliver
29-07-2011, 21:42
The superhub is particularly efficient when exposed to Jeff Lynne singing;)

It's in the small print.:D

That's outstanding :D

And "Out of the Blue" too!!! :cool:

pythagoras
29-07-2011, 21:44
I know you have been consistent in saying that,

But in my case the initial 3 days using it as a wireless device were truly awful, hence my reverting back to my own router for the past 5 weeks

But now after 5 days using the Hub as my wireless device I just can't believe the difference, and would love someone to have a theory as to why :cool:

The super hub fairy dust comes frozen and takes 4 days to defrost, you were just too impatient:PP:

Regards

John

kenoliver
29-07-2011, 21:53
The super hub fairy dust comes frozen and takes 4 days to defrost, you were just too impatient:PP:

Regards

John

Always been my problem John :D

Fspiders
29-07-2011, 22:26
Well I put my hub back onto wireless mode just to see if the new 50mb made any difference and it hasn't. Still rebooting itself and locking up several times a day. As I've said before my hub was perfect on the r25 firmware. r26 totally knackered the wireless part of my hub.

TJS
29-07-2011, 23:00
Mines been running perfectly since april 18th, been restarted twice, one time because of a power cut, and just recently because we got a new tv stand so stuff had to be re-arranged :D

carbon60
29-07-2011, 23:13
Nooooo! I don't want Virgin to fix the SuperHub. I wanted them to buckle and start offering standalone modems again :)

Seriously though if it works well in bridge mode on R29 I might come in from the cold and upgrade to 30Mbit with the SuperHub. Good news that it runs cooler and power consumption has come down. How are you tracking the power consumption and what are the before and after figures?

kenoliver
30-07-2011, 00:32
Nooooo! I don't want Virgin to fix the SuperHub. I wanted them to buckle and start offering standalone modems again :)
How are you tracking the power consumption and what are the before and after figures?

The power consumption comment was regarding the SuperHub and Time Capsule combination :)

Prior to the S/Hub my TC was paired with the old small ntl modem combined power was ave 18 watts, peaking at 23watts, when Disk in TC was running hard

My TC paired with S/Hub was 27 watts, 30 watts peak, again when disk in TC running hard

My current configuration is the S/Hub only running at 12.4 watts, no peaks

All the disc activity that the TC performed is now taken care of by an external HDD attached to my Mac

So using just the S/Hub only, power consumption is down by 18 watts on peaks, over 100%, about 12 units per month

Measurements taken using a power meter attached to the block used for the units

But my main delight regarding the Hub is the performance of the wireless function as that is were my original problem's were,

I can't explain the improvement, I don't think VM have updated it, and as I said in the original post, the only thing I have done is upgrade from 30 to 50 meg

Mick Fisher
30-07-2011, 14:50
As some of you may know my superhub has been plagued by spontaneous rebooting.

After noticing the posts stating that as a wired only device the superhub was as solid as a rock I decided on an experiment.

Without making any changes to any superhub settings I merely switched off the only wireless device on my network. The result is no rebooting to date. Admittedly I still only have an uptime of some 4 days or so but it is looking like connecting a wireless device to my superhub severely screws it up.

Whether or not R29 will address this or not, it does at least bode well for Bridge Mode.

kenoliver
30-07-2011, 14:59
As some of you may know my superhub has been plagued by spontaneous rebooting.

After noticing the posts stating that as a wired only device the superhub was as solid as a rock I decided on an experiment.

Without making any changes to any superhub settings I merely switched off the only wireless device on my network. The result is no rebooting to date. Admittedly I still only have an uptime of some 4 days or so but it is looking like connecting a wireless device to my superhub severely screws it up.

Whether or not R29 will address this or not, it does at least bode well for Bridge Mode.

Hi Mick
I have found the S/Hub to be terrific as a wired modem,

I am now seeing the same reliability on it's wireless function albeit only after 6 days

So I am hopping it lasts

Mick Fisher
30-07-2011, 20:20
Hi Mick
I have found the S/Hub to be terrific as a wired modem,

I am now seeing the same reliability on it's wireless function albeit only after 6 days

So I am hopping it lasts
Yes so I read.

Very strange, I wonder what has changed?

For a wireless device to go from unusable to perfect without any intervention would indicate some intermittant fault that could re-occur at any time. I would not trust it as far as I could throw it. Come to think of it, throwing superhubs as far as you can is probably the best thing to do with these God forsaken devices.

Out of the box my superhub seemed to work fine on default settings. That lasted for 48 hours and then I lost the wireless connection. In order to re-establish the wireless connection I had to manually set optimum channels and finished up on 12, 300mbps didn't want to work anymore and so set to 145mbps. Eversince then it's been stable except for the random reboots.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. :(

kenoliver
30-07-2011, 21:07
Yes so I read.

For a wireless device to go from unusable to perfect without any intervention would indicate some intermittant fault that could re-occur at any time. I would not trust it as far as I could throw it.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. :(

Yea totally agree and i am waiting for the sting in the tail, but Mick as I type my reply to the forum on my macbook at the bottom of the garden, this is my current situation with the Hub

I have 4 devices connected to the main network 1 wired, 3 wireless, I am streaming TV to one of the wireless devices (iPad)

I have 3 devices connected to my Guest network, one is streaming youtube one is on MSN and the other on Facebook

My apple TV is streaming a movie to my TV downstairs for the grandkids

All seamlessly with no stutter or lag, now that is real class

I can't explain it and it may fall over a some time but as I type this all connection are solid,

I am 20 meters away from the hub at the moment having a BQ in the Gazebo , Its the VM fairy Dust of that I'm sure "keep the faith" :cool:

Mick Fisher
30-07-2011, 22:28
Yep, that is real class. :)

I just wish there was an explanation. :(

At least I am now, fairly, certain the cause of my rebooting issue lies with the superhub and not with vm's network, my internet connection or the superhubs power supply.

The juries still out on it's 300mbps and the 5ghz issues.