PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Ps3 and DMZ DNS problem

Bullstein
29-07-2011, 17:17
On previous routers, putting my ps3 in DMZ is simple, the official Playstation advice is straightforward

But the bit that's confusing me is this:
It says to make the ps3 primary and secondary addresses the same as the default router ( 192.168.0.1 )
However when I do this my ps3 won't connect to the Internet
If I change the ps3 DNS addresses to VM's default DNS addresses it works

Can someone explain shy the superhub seems to work differently? And am I still in the routers DMZ even if I use VM DNS addresses instead of 192.168.0.1 ?

Cheers

General Maximus
30-07-2011, 08:53
you are getting yourself in a bit of a pickle dude.

Your default gateway needs to be set to the ip address of the router so that any traffic that isnt destined for your lan goes out to the internet.

DNS servers are their to resolve names to ip addresses so when you go to www.google.com you fire off a request to a dns server and say "hey, I need the ip address for google.com" and it sends a response back saying "here you go, it is 65.13.6.71 (or whatever it is)" and then you connect to the site.

In theory you should be able to connect to the internet even if you haven't specified a dns server, or if you have input incorrect settings, provided that your default gateway is set correctly.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, you dont have to use the VM dns servers. When you get your ip address from VM it automatically provides you with a primary and seconary dns server but you can override these and specify something like the google dns servers if you want to use those instead.

So, long and short of it is, your default gateway is always the address of your router.

Bullstein
30-07-2011, 09:48
I was just confused by the fact that the guides for putting my ps3 in DMZ all say to set the DNS addresses to the routers address, and this was the case with previous routers

It seems to be working ok anyway but thanks for the info m8 :)