PDA

View Full Version : cold calls

andrew.shearman
28-07-2011, 09:41
hi how do you stop cold calling it's there a phone number you can phone had to get Caller Display so when thay phone it just comes up unavailable but would like to stop them alltogether

Andrew

Kymmy
28-07-2011, 09:45
Register with TPS http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ it will though take a month or two to take effect.. It though doesn't stop calls from companies outside the UK nor does it stop companies who don't care about TPS and act illegally.

There is no number though you can dial to stop these calls apart from perhaps contacting VM to stop all anonymous calls but most of the companies now use a fake caller -ID to get past that restriction.

dilli-theclaw
28-07-2011, 09:45
Start with the TPS

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

BUT be aware that if the call originates from outside the UK it most likely won't get stopped.

Peter_
28-07-2011, 16:42
hi how do you stop cold calling it's there a phone number you can phone had to get Caller Display so when thay phone it just comes up unavailable but would like to stop them alltogether

Andrew

http://www.truecall.co.uk/acatalog/trueCallShop.html

Get rid of all sorts of unwelcome caller quickly and politely!
trueCall is your nuisance call blocker. It checks every call you receive before letting your phone ring. It connects your friends, family and invited callers straight through but stops all sorts of nuisance calls - telemarketing, silent calls, market researchers, calls from overseas call centres, fax calls, offensive or threatening calls, misdials, wrong numbers and recorded message calls.

m419
29-07-2011, 00:57
This is what i'm getting but registering with them hasn't made any difference, if it's not that it's piles of junk mail coming through the letter box and it's all crap! stuff i'm not even interested in. TalkTalk,Specsavers,PapaJohns pizzas,local pizza places,taxis,Aviva Insurance and Sky are the usual pests.

The phone calls range from a automated scottish female doing a survey and it's obviously TV Licensing trying to find out if I have a TV LOL because they ask, What's your favourite TV channels,How many hours of TV do you watch ect....

Other calls are often cold calls for taking out mobile phone insurance,changing energy supplier ect..... and usually foreign call centres. Hello Sir how you doing today(they always start off like that) I'm fine now P^9s Off! I know they have a job to do but it's really getting to me and it's never ending!

The worst one was 3 trying to sign me up for a contract, when I did join 3 not through a cold call, the calls then started from Orange!

It's harrassment!

I've got caller display but you never know if it's a important call because hospital calls are usually ''witheld'' or ''unavailable'' and they always get me that way

whitewineandsoda
01-08-2011, 17:45
I have all witheld no's blocked on my phone. Ok so it doesn't stop every one, but nearly all of them. If I get a cold call with the number showing I put it in the phone book on the phone as spam and that's what the caller display shows.
Hospitals, police and government all go through the switchboard to make a call to my number.
To activate the witheld no. bar enter *227#
To de-activate enter #227#
To check it's working enter *#227#