PDA

View Full Version : Superhub VIP50 Engineer required?

Fspiders
27-07-2011, 12:25
I've decided to go on the VIP50 package.

I already have the 30mb on the new hub (refuse to call it super) though it's only used as a modem and linked to a wireless router that works.

I've been told I have to wait 2 weeks for an engineer to come round and do something to the hub! I thought these hubs could work up to 100mb?

He's not coming round to change my boxes as I'm not getting a Tivo (can't afford the £50 hidden charge) and am happy to keep my v+ hd and v hd box.

My biggest quandary was deciding which box to have the Premier HD on lol.

So does anyone know why I have to wait 2 weeks for this package to come in force? It all seems to be hanging on the engineers appointment.

Thanks.

TJS
27-07-2011, 13:56
They'll want to check the power levels e.t.c as higher speed products are less forgiving on power levels

BenMcr
27-07-2011, 14:21
(can't afford the £50 hidden charge)
TiVo fees aren't hidden.

kenoliver
27-07-2011, 14:31
I've been told I have to wait 2 weeks for an engineer to come round and do something to the hub! I thought these hubs could work up to 100mb?

Thanks.

Engineer's Eh

Well I'm stuck now my TiVo was fitted by a contract engineer (no VM logo's) and it was a very unpleasant experience, and as a result we will not have another one in our house

So upgrades are out of the question for us, and I don't know what we would do if it broke down,

Don't want to blame all VM engineers as the ones we have had previously were good, polite, and efficient, but just couldn't risk getting this bloke back again

TheDon
27-07-2011, 14:45
Engineer's Eh

Well I'm stuck now my TiVo was fitted by a contract engineer (no VM logo's) and it was a very unpleasant experience, and as a result we will not have another one in our house

So upgrades are out of the question for us, and I don't know what we would do if it broke down,

Don't want to blame all VM engineers as the ones we have had previously were good, polite, and efficient, but just couldn't risk getting this bloke back again
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

kenoliver
27-07-2011, 15:15
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It's one off those situations were you had to be there

But thanks for your observations :cool:

Fspiders
27-07-2011, 16:50
TiVo fees aren't hidden.

Once again really helpful info Ben. Thanks.

I regard it as a hidden cost as I was not informed of it when I first asked for the VIP50 with a Tivo. It was only by doggedly going through the details with the rep that the charge was mentioned and that was only after demanding to know what my next bill would consist of... anyway this has nothing to do with my question.

I merely asked why I needed an engineer to visit when I already have a hub on 30mb.

As to this package being on hold until an engineer comes round to check my power levels I always thought they could read the power levels from their end. The last time I called about my hub not working they told me my power levels were slightly high and sent ... you guessed it... an engineer.

Over the last 3 months I have acquired 2 x 10db fp attenuators, 2 x 3db fp attenuators and a 4db cable simulator (whatever that is) all left by engineers who all came to the same conclusion that my connection, the hub and wireless were not meant to be lol.

*sloman*
27-07-2011, 17:01
They'll want to check the power levels e.t.c as higher speed products are less forgiving on power levels

haha yeah they say that. when i went to 100mb (from 50mb) bloke came round swap vmg300 modem for super hub. rang some and said "will you remove wall garden" said "try google for me please mate" so i went to speedtest.net ;) speeds were all over the place VM bloke said "give it a couple of hours if its not ok ring 150" and went!

luckily enough it did sort itself with 10mins or so and another reboot of super hub.

kenoliver
27-07-2011, 17:14
Once again really helpful info Ben. Thanks.

I merely asked why I needed an engineer to visit when I already have a hub on 30mb.

I asked this question my self and still have no answer

When I upgraded from 30 > 50, I explained I didn't want an engineer to visit, the very polite and helpful young lady went off to ask someone about it

And came back and said ok we will do it now, as she was speaking the light on my hub flashed red and Wola there was my 50 meg BB

The speed as been constant ever since, or have I just been lucky?

Fspiders
27-07-2011, 17:18
Unfortunately I don't have a vmg300.. I'm stuck with this flipping hub, so I'm really puzzled as to what an engineer can do?

Really I'm just a bit miffed at having to wait 2 weeks for the extra TV channels..

So... Kenoliver... you think it might be a good idea to delve into the depths of insanity and phone them up and see if I can get what you got?

kenoliver
27-07-2011, 18:44
So... Kenoliver... you think it might be a good idea to delve into the depths of insanity and phone them up and see if I can get what you got?

Well it is possible, as many on these forums have posted

I would try retentions, I find the Staff there to be excellent and they will help if possible

jb66
27-07-2011, 18:50
30meg and 50 use the same power levels, there is no need whatsoever to wait for an engineer

Fspiders
27-07-2011, 18:50
phoning them now... gulp!

kenoliver
27-07-2011, 18:55
30meg and 50 use the same power levels, there is no need whatsoever to wait for an engineer

Good Advice

Fspiders
27-07-2011, 20:15
am now being put through to my third person in india.

It seems i'm down for an installation!!! I've tried everything to explain i have the hub already and working on 30mb.

now being transferred to pre-installation team!!! the lady was adamant i need a technician to come round before my vip50 can be activated.

now being transferred to customer services where i started. installation team wont deal cos it's an upgrade lol.

This is mind boggling... Every time I have to start over from the beginning. am now threatening to leave and asking for retentions

back on hold 5th time...this call started 18:50

still listening to music... wondering whether it would be better to start again and try another number. Ended the call now trying retentions option.

40 minutes and after being to every department in india I'm still listening to music lol.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

I wonder if VM are shut or they just know my number and wont answer lol.

still listening to music nearly an hour of my life wasted.. I wouldn't mind but I'm trying to get my vip50 activated asap instead of 2 weeks time which would give them more money from me!

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

finally through to retentions... very nice lady and it seems that certain areas have to have a tech go round to the green box before 50mb can be activated something to do with distribution networking ect' ect'.

As a temp measure she has put me on vip30 until the tech appointment. That was an exhausting 80 minutes I wouldn't like to repeat.

So now we know some areas can't be upgraded without a tech lol.

Thanks for the info and help as I've got what I really wanted and that's the extra channels. Can't see an extra 20mb making any difference to my 30mb.

kenoliver
27-07-2011, 20:21
Thanks for the info and help as I've got what I really wanted and that's the extra channels. Can't see an extra 20mb making any difference to my 30mb.

Result then

Well done for sticking at it, at least you have your extra TV :)

jb66
28-07-2011, 07:15
No they are telling porkies, the tech wont even visit the cab

Fspiders
28-07-2011, 16:36
Result! You are 100% correct jb66 :)

Today I called retentions because they hadn't activated the hd prem on my main box.
Got connected to a guy called Mark and he told me that VIP30 didn't include hd prem. He checked my previous night's notes and was gobsmacked! and put me on hold.

He then asked me to leave my tv box on and my modem on and said he would call back within the hour. I told him not to bother as I'd been through all this too many times.

Within 15 minutes my hd prem was on my box and my hub re-booted to 50mb :o

Mark called me back and confirmed it was all on. I asked him why he could get this sorted where everyone else had failed. I won't repeat what he said but suffice to say even the some team managers don't know the difference between docsis 2 and 3.

I have a sneaky feeling he went against the grain and fought in my corner because he was gone for quite a while.

I'm now fully activated on VIP50 and it's mainly down to the helpful replies on here that gave me the confidence to keep at it.

Thanks.

kenoliver
28-07-2011, 16:49
Today I called retentions because they hadn't activated the hd prem on my main box.

I'm now fully activated on VIP50 and it's mainly down to the helpful replies on here that gave me the confidence to keep at it.

Thanks.

So pleased for you :D

Retentions will sort things out for you if possible, I find them so positive and a credit to VM

They must drink Carlsberg :cool: