PDA

View Full Version : Superhub New superhub user

zid
27-07-2011, 05:20
I just upgraded to 30Mbps internet from my previous 10Mbps and I must say, I'm not very happy with this superhub.

I first wanted to put it into bridge mode, turns out that's not possible, and a firmware update to support it should have been available 3 months ago.

So then I did a DMZ with my router, which solves some of my problems at least. (Except having to power a useless hub that I don't need).

Then I try and get my IPv6 tunnels working, and I can't for the life of me get the hub to pass proto 41 traffic, even directly, bypassing the DMZ'd router.

So now I'm paying more electricity bills for having my IPv6 removed :/

Does anybody know if virgin will supply any sort of normal docsis 3 modem if I badger them enough? Or have a more current ETA on the bridging support?

kenoliver
27-07-2011, 09:14
I just upgraded to 30Mbps internet from my previous 10Mbps and I must say, I'm not very happy with this superhub.

I first wanted to put it into bridge mode, turns out that's not possible, and a firmware update to support it should have been available 3 months ago.

So then I did a DMZ with my router, which solves some of my problems at least. (Except having to power a useless hub that I don't need).

Then I try and get my IPv6 tunnels working, and I can't for the life of me get the hub to pass proto 41 traffic, even directly, bypassing the DMZ'd router.

Does anybody know if virgin will supply any sort of normal docsis 3 modem if I badger them enough? Or have a more current ETA on the bridging support?

Wow well you are treading a well worn path here :) that many off us have trod before you

I have found the HUB to be very good as a wired connection, but it is hard to say anything good about the rest of it I'm afraid

Like you my HUB is in DMZ, and I use my Time Capsule to do all the wireless work,

And again like you I am now using a device that is very power hungry just to feed the BB to my router (I have commented in other threads about its power usage)

Hopefully Firmware update R28 will help somewhat but that seems to be in the future

As for an alternative router I have tried via the CEO office but unfortunnatly the stocks of the old 50 meg router have been exhausted

Hope you get on ok with it in the meantime, and enjoy the faster speeds your new BB will give you

zid
27-07-2011, 10:07
Wow well you are treading a well worn path here :) that many off us have trod before you

I have found the HUB to be very good as a wired connection, but it is hard to say anything good about the rest of it I'm afraid

Like you my HUB is in DMZ, and I use my Time Capsule to do all the wireless work,

And again like you I am now using a device that is very power hungry just to feed the BB to my router (I have commented in other threads about its power usage)

Hopefully Firmware update R28 will help somewhat but that seems to be in the future

As for an alternative router I have tried via the CEO office but unfortunnatly the stocks of the old 50 meg router have been exhausted

Hope you get on ok with it in the meantime, and enjoy the faster speeds your new BB will give you

Wasn't in it for the speeds, I wanted a larger bandwidth allowance, youtube goes as fast as youtube goes.

Will the ambit 256 reach anywhere near 30Mbit, and would they let me switch back to it if I asked?

kenoliver
27-07-2011, 10:21
Wasn't in it for the speeds, I wanted a larger bandwidth allowance, youtube goes as fast as youtube goes.

Will the ambit 256 reach anywhere near 30Mbit, and would they let me switch back to it if I asked?

As a wired connection (in my experience) the hub will reach and maintain its nominated speeds and is "rock solid"

If you want to switch back then Im sure retentions will help you,

But it may be worthwhile to stick with it for a while as the future is faster BB speeds and for that you will need a better Device (HUB)

VM are a major BB provider as we know, and although there are undoubted issues with their new HUB, it's inconceivable that these issues will not be resolved by VM

So for what's its worth Zid I would say stick with it, your are with a good provider, and they will sort out these problems, albeit not as fast as we would like :cool:

Jayceef1
27-07-2011, 15:37

Using a separate wireless router with the superhub is possible without bridge mode though it does seem to vary depending on the brand of router.

I use a Belkin N1 wired to the superhub (and did not change any settings other than turning off the superhubs wireless) and have had no issues at all either wired or wireless and get a full 50mb down and 4.7mb up.

zid
28-07-2011, 15:21
Okay I just had a chat with a guy named Stuart, he said they definitely have no ambit 300s left to give me, and they have no config files they could send to an ambit 256 to let me onto a package with higher caps, even if it would not run at maximum speed. And that there is no ETA from netgear for the R28 firmware.

I'd go back to 10Mbps in a heartbeat if I could buy more bandwidth from 4-9.

kenoliver
28-07-2011, 15:47
And that there is no ETA from netgear for the R28 firmware.

I think R28 has bit the dust anyway, Phil-ntl (VM Staffer) has posted HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33675881-superhub-firmware-beta-test-page-46.html)that trials of R29 are about to take place, with a limited beta test, so looks as if things are moving on

Phil is a regular poster, who is in the mix of things and his initial thoughts about the patch have been very positive

So lets hope we are getting near a public release

qasdfdsaq
28-07-2011, 19:31
Okay I just had a chat with a guy named Stuart, he said they definitely have no ambit 300s left to give me, and they have no config files they could send to an ambit 256 to let me onto a package with higher caps, even if it would not run at maximum speed. And that there is no ETA from netgear for the R28 firmware.

I'd go back to 10Mbps in a heartbeat if I could buy more bandwidth from 4-9.
jb66 has one hidden in his van somewhere. We just need to track him down and nab it.

jb66
28-07-2011, 21:14
:) They can downgrade you to 20meg xl20 and you can use your ambit :)